Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 08:18 AM

325 posts, read 371,744 times

Advertisements

Hey all, my family and I moved to the Holland area in June of last year. Before our move, I'd seen MI once, the month before our move. I grew up in Texas, spent 10 years in L.A., and 1 year in Denver before we made the move here. So my question is, where is the sun? When can I hope to see her? I REALLY need some Vitamin D!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 08:26 AM

382 posts, read 1,053,921 times
haha, those are all very sunny places compared to Western Michigan.. I think summer and Lake Michigan will be a nice boost!

Old 03-10-2011, 08:26 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
unfortunately living near the lakes, you have clouds around quite a bit especially this time of year. I would say another month or so to go before we start seeing a bit more of the sun.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:44 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,641,698 times
I feel for you. I miss the sun too and have a very hard time coping during these winter months. It will get better once spring comes, but winters are always quite cloudy in this part of Michigan. For us, unfortunately, this is the norm.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:48 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
We are mole people. We do not like the sun.

Lack of light is the toughest thing about winter in my opinion. However it is a tradeoff. In the summer, you get sunlight from about 7 a.m. until 10 p.m..

We do get quite a few nice bright sunny days in the midst of winter, but November and March/April are good times to misplace your sunglasses.

Just keep in mind:

Sunlight gives you cancer.

If you accidentally look directly into the sun, you cna damage your eyes. You are protected from this risk at least part of the year.

If you are ugly, it will be hard for people to tell for at least part of the year.

You can take much better photographs with indirect light.

It has never been conclusivley proven that vitamin D is not bad for you. Dimentia starts with a D. California gets a lot of sunshine and look how wacked out those people are.

You will not get a sunburn.

Direct sunlight can damage your upholstry. You vehicle interior will last a bit longer here than in those sundrenched states to the South.

The sun is not shining in part because there is a lot of water here. The good news is that there is a lot of water here. In case you have not heard, the world is running out of fresh water. Having a lot of water will eventually be a really really good thing.

You do not have to wash your car. There is no point. Besides, with no sunlight, no one can really see it anyway.

If the sun were to come out now, some things might start to grow. Then when the cold returns for a while, many things would die.

Likewise if you were to see the sun now, you would get all excited thinking spring is here. Then you would get depressed when it starts to snow again. The lack of sunshine keeps you on an even keel until spring really arrives.

When spring arrives and we get sunshine between the rain storms, you will be all that much more excited. Spring is awesome. Although it rains frequently, the feeling of rebirth and new life makes everything and everyone frisky. It is really neat to wach how horses and dogs react to spring. Especially horses. (Dogs seem to love winter, horses do not).

Old 03-10-2011, 08:53 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Dont forget.....year round sunshine and warm weather brings out the freaks and nutcases, and they stay out all night long. Winter and sunless days filters out these people for the most part as they are like fungus and need the sun to survive. Ill admit even though I love Michigan, these sunless days can get to you...but Ill take them over the alternative any day.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,876 times
It's at the center of our solar system.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:14 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
welcome to the land of the perma-cloud. it's the same way in northern indiana, and can be very hard for people from sunnier areas to adjust to.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:14 AM

325 posts, read 371,744 times
Default Thanks for the head's up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We are mole people. We do not like the sun.

Lack of light is the toughest thing about winter in my opinion. However it is a tradeoff. In the summer, you get sunlight from about 7 a.m. until 10 p.m..

We do get quite a few nice bright sunny days in the midst of winter, but November and March/April are good times to misplace your sunglasses.

Just keep in mind:

Sunlight gives you cancer.

If you accidentally look directly into the sun, you cna damage your eyes. You are protected from this risk at least part of the year.

If you are ugly, it will be hard for people to tell for at least part of the year.

You can take much better photographs with indirect light.

It has never been conclusivley proven that vitamin D is not bad for you. Dimentia starts with a D. California gets a lot of sunshine and look how wacked out those people are.

You will not get a sunburn.

Direct sunlight can damage your upholstry. You vehicle interior will last a bit longer here than in those sundrenched states to the South.

The sun is not shining in part because there is a lot of water here. The good news is that there is a lot of water here. In case you have not heard, the world is running out of fresh water. Having a lot of water will eventually be a really really good thing.

You do not have to wash your car. There is no point. Besides, with no sunlight, no one can really see it anyway.

If the sun were to come out now, some things might start to grow. Then when the cold returns for a while, many things would die.

Likewise if you were to see the sun now, you would get all excited thinking spring is here. Then you would get depressed when it starts to snow again. The lack of sunshine keeps you on an even keel until spring really arrives.

When spring arrives and we get sunshine between the rain storms, you will be all that much more excited. Spring is awesome. Although it rains frequently, the feeling of rebirth and new life makes everything and everyone frisky. It is really neat to wach how horses and dogs react to spring. Especially horses. (Dogs seem to love winter, horses do not).
Haha, you all were great. In L.A., I would complain about the constant sunshine and 70 degree weather. Now I just keep singing to myself, "I'd be safe and warm, if I was in L.A."

Thanks for the head's up. I'll be looking forward to Spring. Now sure if we can make it through another winter.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:20 AM

485 posts, read 966,356 times
Yes, you've come from places with extreme sunshine. Actually, I think we've had quite a few sunny days in February. More than average?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan