Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:27 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
For a party that advocates smaller, less government, it's quite a Mr. Hyde, isn't it? Authoritarian Government is not well received by many, regardless of party.
Which "government" are you talking about? The one that is deemed to be failed and ineffective, or the one that sends in the financial manager? Both are "government." In fact, it could be argued that if a municipality is falling into bankruptcy, it is not being governed AT ALL. Are you saying you're pro-anarchy? I would rather see an emergency manager come in and actually restore some sense of governance.

Also, if a local government is failing because of mismanagement (wasting tax dollars), and a manager comes in and cleans things up, resulting in a leaner, more efficient government... isn't the end result "smaller government"?

I know it's fun to take catch phrases from the opposing side and use them against them. I've done that a few times myself. But if a financial manager comes in and drastically cuts costs, the result is smaller government, not "authoritarian government."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 09:09 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,943,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Last I heard residents of Colorado don't have much pull when it comes to Michigan politics.
Well, my entire immediate family lives in MI and my siblings are educators (as am I).....he obviously does not have the best interest of Michigan's children at heart.

I would like to move back to the state I was born in and lived for 27 out of my 32 years, but that probably won't be possible with all the teaching jobs getting cut.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
he obviously does not have the best interest of Michigan's children at heart.
Unfortunately, most of the school funding goes to teacher salaries and benefits and not "the children". Due to the power of the teachers unions, school funding cuts are felt most by the children (they don't have union protection), while teachers are mostly insulated from the damage.

The unions put out propaganda about how politicians "don't care about the children" while at the same time making teacher pay and benefits the first priority, job security second, and the "the children" get whatever is left over.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Unfortunately, most of the school funding goes to teacher salaries and benefits and not "the children". Due to the power of the teachers unions, school funding cuts are felt most by the children (they don't have union protection), while teachers are mostly insulated from the damage.

The unions put out propaganda about how politicians "don't care about the children" while at the same time making teacher pay and benefits the first priority, job security second, and the "the children" get whatever is left over.
ha ha good one. I switched over to my husband's insurance since my benefits are a lot more expensive than his, and he works in sales!! I also make the same amount I made 3 years ago.......haven't had a raise. And I have my Master's Degree on top of that. I think you have been believing some propaganda of an entirely different kind. Cutting over $500 on per pupil spending is benefitting children how?

Bringing this thread back to topic, I thought most conservatives favored less government interaction in their lives?? 1) How is this whole financial manager scenario fit in with this viewpoint? 2) Why are they paid so highly?

Old 04-05-2011, 02:49 PM

336 posts, read 908,329 times
If a financial manager can fix Flint, I'll be thrilled! However, I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm pretty conservative, and what it comes down to for me is: Do I trust politians? Which is an absolute resounding NO.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:31 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
ha ha good one. I switched over to my husband's insurance since my benefits are a lot more expensive than his, and he works in sales!! I also make the same amount I made 3 years ago.......haven't had a raise. And I have my Master's Degree on top of that. I think you have been believing some propaganda of an entirely different kind. Cutting over $500 on per pupil spending is benefitting children how?

Bringing this thread back to topic, I thought most conservatives favored less government interaction in their lives?? 1) How is this whole financial manager scenario fit in with this viewpoint? 2) Why are they paid so highly?
Good question.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:07 AM

Why are they paid so highly?

I don't know how much they are paid, but would you want to be responsible for turning around an entire city, cutting pay and benefits, laying people off, etc? Basically cleaning up a disaster zone? You couldn't pay me enough to do that job. It takes a highly skilled person to do something like that. It should be highly paid.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Why are they paid so highly?

I don't know how much they are paid, but would you want to be responsible for turning around an entire city, cutting pay and benefits, laying people off, etc? Basically cleaning up a disaster zone? You couldn't pay me enough to do that job. It takes a highly skilled person to do something like that. It should be highly paid.
I could sub out a few words and you'd be talking about my job!

"....would you want to be responsible for turning around an entire generation, when our culture of learning has eroded, without much parental support or general respect for your profession and what you are trying to do? Basically cleaning up a disaster zone? You couldn't pay me enough to do that job. (And you don't!) It takes a highly skilled person to do something like that. It should be highly paid."

Old 04-06-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
I could sub out a few words and you'd be talking about my job!

"....would you want to be responsible for turning around an entire generation, when our culture of learning has eroded, without much parental support or general respect for your profession and what you are trying to do? Basically cleaning up a disaster zone? You couldn't pay me enough to do that job. (And you don't!) It takes a highly skilled person to do something like that. It should be highly paid."
I agree that teaching takes a high skill level and a special person, but there are hundreds of thousands of people who do it, are qualified to do it, and who want to do it (at the current pay).

There are not hundreds of thousands of qualified people lining up to be emergency financial managers for $50,000 per year.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:34 AM

They will make much more than $50,000 a year:

Financial manager bill passes Michigan Senate | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://detnews.com/article/20110310/POLITICS02/103100375/Financial-manager-bill-passes-Michigan-Senate - broken link)

From the article:

A Democratic amendment defeated by Republicans on Wednesday would have limited the salary of financial managers to that of the governor, which is set at $177,000.
But Snyder has said he will accept only a dollar in pay this year.
The vote tied, and Lt. Gov. Brian Calley cast the deciding vote against the amendment.
Republican Sen. Phil Pavlov of St. Clair Township, the legislation's sponsor, said limiting the salary "would eliminate a lot of people" who might otherwise take an emergency financial manager position.

From The Detroit News: Financial manager bill passes Michigan Senate | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://detnews.com/article/20110310/POLITICS02/103100375/Financial-manager-bill-passes-Michigan-Senate#ixzz1IkXxOjRr - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan