Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 11:19 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,428,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
Another one for all of us to chew on.

I just returned from a trip to where, in every store, the cashier asked "You want a sack with that?"

Bag is used in OK and in Ca.

Are us Michiganders the only ones who call it a "bag"?
I always say "no thanks, I have one at home".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 11:23 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
Another one for all of us to chew on.

I just returned from a trip to where, in every store, the cashier asked "You want a sack with that?"

Are us Michiganders the only ones who call it a "bag"?
That's definitely not only a MI thing. I've only heard sack in Canada, most places I have lived in the US say bag.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:12 PM

97 posts, read 432,856 times
Born and raised in MI and my mother always called party stores "C Stores" All of them. I think there used to be a chain of stores called that tho.

Pop is a big one. I hear Soda water, soda, soda pop.

Guys: To say "hey you guys" and addressing both sexes. Said that in Texas and a bunch of girls got miffed.

Doorwall is not on my list.

Pickled Bologna. I know, Its a thing. I brought some to Texas once and watched my friends almost vomit. Sweet!

Concrete. I said that once in a little south east town in Texas and totally confounded the person I was speaking to. I was corrected. Its CeeMint "cement".

In the horse world We call them chestnuts. Everyone else calls them sorrels. I think sorrel is getting more popular in Michigan tho.

Pecan. Seems like everyone else says Pee Can. That is more of a accent thing I guess.

We call them ditches. Others call them Bar Ditches. I am think they end up there after a visit to the bar. Got that one form Oklahoma.

Refrigerator: Icebox down south.
Toilet: Commode

Utility room: Down here they are washrooms or laundry rooms and I swear they put an "R" is wash. Warsh?

Old 06-03-2011, 07:24 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Not sure if this is a Michigander term but I say weedwack when trimming the yard. My nephew that moved to KY said he was talking with his elderly neighbor while doing yard work. My nephew said the guy can talk for hours so after a bit he told the guy, "well I gota weedwack the yard now." My nephew said the old guy was like "what the heck is weedwack?" My nephew explained and the old guy almost fell over laughing. He never heard someone call it weedwack. It's weed eaten. lol.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:30 PM

97 posts, read 432,856 times
You weed whack with a weed eater.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Not sure if this is a Michigander term but I say weedwack when trimming the yard. My nephew that moved to KY said he was talking with his elderly neighbor while doing yard work. My nephew said the guy can talk for hours so after a bit he told the guy, "well I gota weedwack the yard now." My nephew said the old guy was like "what the heck is weedwack?" My nephew explained and the old guy almost fell over laughing. He never heard someone call it weedwack. It's weed eaten. lol.
I make a living repairing lawn equipment, (if it's worth repairing),

weedeater, weedwacker, string trimmer and line trimmer, those names are used across the country.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:55 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
A lot of the machines that do that are called weed wackers, I don't know how that guy could have never heard the term.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:04 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
A lot of the machines that do that are called weed wackers, I don't know how that guy could have never heard the term.
Same here but apparently the term really amused this guy. Might be more of a southern thing then. Weed eaten.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:15 PM

615 posts, read 1,391,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvelocity View Post
<snip>
Refrigerator: Icebox down south.
Toilet: Commode

<snip>

When I was young (late 1960's, East Side Detroit proper) most people called it the icebox, but sometimes, I would hear refrigerator, Frigidaire (regardless of actual brand of the appliance) or "fridge". "Icebox" and "Frigidaire" waned in ensuing years and were gone by about 1980. I think this represents people not wanting to lose the informal name for a device after new technology usurps it. My mother would tell us to return the "films" to the video store and put away the "tapes" for the video game system. Today people do "slide shows" on a computer.
Anyone else remember when 5:45 was "quarter of six" to adults and "quarter to six" to children, with "of" later disappearing and "quarter to six" challenged by "five-forty-five"?

I still hear "commode" regularly, as a more formal word than "toilet" (like "small" vs. "little", "thick liquid" vs. "goo", etc).

Old 06-05-2011, 07:13 PM

"Cripes", I've never heard this word used anywhere but in Mi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan