U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2007, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,752 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have info on the surrounding cities of Detroit? I want to work downtown, and would like a minimal drive and a safer place to live. If possible I would like to the city to be closer to the North side of Detroit, as I have many friends in that direction. But again, overall I would like a safe home and a drive that doesn't make me want to rip all of my hair out! 94 can be brutal!

Also does anyone have information on the "right" times to be driving up or down 94? Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursing_gal_12 View Post
Does anyone have info on the surrounding cities of Detroit? I want to work downtown, and would like a minimal drive and a safer place to live. If possible I would like to the city to be closer to the North side of Detroit, as I have many friends in that direction. But again, overall I would like a safe home and a drive that doesn't make me want to rip all of my hair out! 94 can be brutal!

Also does anyone have information on the "right" times to be driving up or down 94? Thanks so much!
If you want to live along 94, St. Clair Shores or Harrison Twp are nice and relatively close to downtown. The homes in Harrison Twp are much more expensive but it is also a nicer place to live. Rush hour on 94 is horrible. An alternative is Gratiot Ave or Woodward Ave. They are still busy but at least the traffic moves.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:52 PM

3,490 posts, read 2,842,543 times
Quote:

"North" covers alot of towns. I personally live in Royal Oak, and would recommend this town or any north of 8 Mile along the Woodward corridor.

Alot depends on your budget as well. If you have the $$, Grosse Pointe would be a good option as well.

The rule of thumb, if you are looking for safety, is to stay above 8 Mile. But, parts of Detroit--such as Downtown, and Midtown-Wayne State area--are relatively safe, and you might want to look there too.

Good luck!

Old 07-25-2007, 02:13 PM

999 posts, read 4,299,364 times
I'd vote for Royal Oak too. Not too close and not too far, plus all the other stuff others have said already..

Old 07-25-2007, 04:06 PM

606 posts, read 2,868,006 times
downtown , midtown, corktown, and other surronding neighborhoods are also nice, check into those. but if you don't want to live in the city, go for grosse pointe, although it is expensive.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:14 AM

6 posts, read 18,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
"North" covers alot of towns. I personally live in Royal Oak, and would recommend this town or any north of 8 Mile along the Woodward corridor.

Alot depends on your budget as well. If you have the $$, Grosse Pointe would be a good option as well.

The rule of thumb, if you are looking for safety, is to stay above 8 Mile. But, parts of Detroit--such as Downtown, and Midtown-Wayne State area--are relatively safe, and you might want to look there too.

Good luck!
8 mile and woodward is NOT a good area. Stay north of 9 mile at least! I live in Royal Oak grew up in Ferndale at 9 1/2 and woodward. anything south of 9 is real bad. Cheap yes but I wouldnt walk a dog there at night. I have lived in Royal Oak since 1991 and now I dont go south of 10 mile unless heading south on 75. It does however all depend on your price range and if you want any land. There are nice places south of detroit as well as west. If you want to be north of detroit and have some property you will have to go pretty far north for it. Consider Clawson as well. Small town but very nice and safe. Stay away from Ferndale, Hazel Park. Madison Heights is ok but not much in way of decent housing. Just small brick ranches mostly. Also consider Troy, Berkley or Huntington Woods even Pleasant Ridge.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:30 AM

79 posts, read 352,956 times
Agree with the earlier dude, 8 mile and Woodward is pretty bad. North of that is great.. If you don't mind spending $$ on a nice house Birmingham is great, as is Beverly Hills. I also recommend Troy. If you want to live east of the city, then I would say Canton and Plymouth aren't bad... Canton feels open and spread out, although it seems to be full of tract homes. Plymouth has much more character and has a real pedestrian friendly & charming downtown.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:49 AM

14 posts, read 33,199 times
traffic will be bad no matter where you decide to live. I agree, the further you are from 8 mile the better.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:28 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,520,636 times
Quote:

94 is fine any time except rush hour, like any downtown highway. But that one goes across the southern side of the city, from say Grosse Pointe Woods to Ypsi and Ann Arbor, not up and down.

If you're living on the North side, I would say look at places like Shelby Township and Warren. The Northeast side, St. Clair Shores and Grosse Pointe Woods, are fine. It depends on where you're working -- DMC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan