Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 04:20 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I was told by a superintendant that a recent job posting for a starting teaching position brought 1200 applications. Clearly this is far from a job paying so little that no one want it except those with no choice.
The problem is that there's an oversupply of teachers, and we now live in a economy where everyone wants industry specific experience so it's hard for a trained/certified teacher to transfer their skills to another field.

Last edited by 313Weather; 03-18-2011 at 04:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 04:33 PM

485 posts, read 966,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
The problem is that there's an oversupply of teachers, and we now live in a economy where everyone wants industry specific experience so it's hard for a trained/certified teacher to transfer their skills to another field.
The question then becomes, WHY is there an oversupply of teachers?

Old 03-18-2011, 04:40 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyInGreatLakes View Post
I suspect it was because of the lie that there was a teacher shortage.

Same thing's starting to happen with the nurses now.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:45 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyInGreatLakes View Post
I will chime in as a certified teacher in MI, MD, and PA who left MI to get a decent teaching job. The oversupply of teachers is from the fact that, Western has an excellent education program (that's where I went), Eastern great education program, MSU one of the first teacher schools, Central (yuck...teehee) good education program....do you get the idea? We produce an oversupply of teachers in MI...any many people want to stay at home. Furthermore, baby boomers are still teaching beyond retirement age (unless they are in a lucky buyout district) which shrinks job opportunities for teachers....unless you were like me and willing to move right out of state, you could still be lookign for that teaching job near home!

Layoffs happen all the time in MI in the teaching field! All the time!!! at least in a lot of the districts I have ever paid attention to.

Without the Union, I would not want to be a public school teacher, not one bit. I work the contractual hours, then take home at the very least 1 to 2 hours worth of work every night, then at least 8 hours on the weekend. That prep time, is not a break! it is for meetings, paperwork (and there is a LOT of it), and other preparation. I get to school an hour before contractual time, and stay an hour after. I teach with thousands of other teachers and know that many of our jobs would be grossly abused without a union.

Without some of the union negotiations, the private sector's salaries, and benefits would not be where they are....they have to compete to a degree also!

Okay, that is all...just thought i'd give a teacher's perspective...I have many teacher friends in MI....even though I teach in Philly...

Old 03-18-2011, 05:31 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,206 times
Quote:
This proposal addresses cities and other entities that are simply non-functioning. They cannot meet their debts. They are bankrupt. The opponents of this proposal offer no solution for such entities, they seem to think that the status quo is fine. Let them continue making commitments that they simply cannot honor. Maybe the State or Federal Government will bail them out.

To me the status quo is totally unacceptable. Many government positions are over paid and over benefited for this market. The fact is that the economic conditions have fallen and no one wants to accept it. This is not 1937. These workers are not being taken advantage of, they are being asked to accept competitive wages and benefit. They are being asked to accept the fact that some government agencies made promises to them that the agency simply cannot keep and never could.

What is the alternate solution? What I am hearing is "Tax the big evil corporations" We are already doing that and it is not generating enough to meet the obligations. The big evil corporations are moving away form the taxes and going to other states. The little family businesses, and entrepreneurial start ups are also going elsewhere, or they are failing because they simply cannot compete in business when based here. Tax them more? Great idea.

The emergency financial manager is an extreme step. It will be negotiated and modified if and when it passes and it will have no real impact on anything. A few municipalities may be closed down and a few contracts may be voided. It is the equivalent of corporate bankruptcy. However I prefer an extreme step to nothing, or to more of the same thing that is failing now. Frankly I do not have any problem with Government agencies having the same options as a corporation does in bankruptcy. This is not an assault on the unions, it is simply something that the unions do not like. Every financial measure will be something that someone does not like. Sure we do not like cutting school funding, taxing retirement benefits, emergency financial managers, cutting money paid to cities for fire and police protection, cutting or underfunding road maintenance, cutting the Movie tax credits . . .

No one likes the fact that there is less money than before. No one likes the fact that they will have to accept less instead of more. However the government cannot change that reality, they can only deal with the reality.

No question , Cities or other agencies that cannot manage themselves should have management authority taken away. No question some municipals are completely dysfunctional, redundant and should be dissolved. No question some municipalities simply cannot keep promises made to unions in various contracts. These are all realities. Protesting realities does not make any sense.

What the unions should be doing is working on a counter proposal. Identify the municipalities that are failing and offer a solution. "We will accept X if you do Y" Yelling "We want what we used to have" is pointless. It is like a child eating an apple and then screaming because he no longer has an apple.
Sacrifices by the unions have been made. It's not their fault the state is broke. This is pure wealth redistribution, from the backs of the people to corporations. So much for "less government" as a GOP plank.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:51 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
This proposal addresses cities and other entities that are simply non-functioning. They cannot meet their debts. They are bankrupt. The opponents of this proposal offer no solution for such entities, they seem to think that the status quo is fine. Let them continue making commitments that they simply cannot honor. Maybe the State or Federal Government will bail them out.

To me the status quo is totally unacceptable. Many government positions are over paid and over benefited for this market. The fact is that the economic conditions have fallen and no one wants to accept it. This is not 1937. These workers are not being taken advantage of, they are being asked to accept competitive wages and benefit. They are being asked to accept the fact that some government agencies made promises to them that the agency simply cannot keep and never could.

What is the alternate solution? What I am hearing is "Tax the big evil corporations" We are already doing that and it is not generating enough to meet the obligations. The big evil corporations are moving away form the taxes and going to other states. The little family businesses, and entrepreneurial start ups are also going elsewhere, or they are failing because they simply cannot compete in business when based here. Tax them more? Great idea.

The emergency financial manager is an extreme step. It will be negotiated and modified if and when it passes and it will have no real impact on anything. A few municipalities may be closed down and a few contracts may be voided. It is the equivalent of corporate bankruptcy. However I prefer an extreme step to nothing, or to more of the same thing that is failing now. Frankly I do not have any problem with Government agencies having the same options as a corporation does in bankruptcy. This is not an assault on the unions, it is simply something that the unions do not like. Every financial measure will be something that someone does not like. Sure we do not like cutting school funding, taxing retirement benefits, emergency financial managers, cutting money paid to cities for fire and police protection, cutting or underfunding road maintenance, cutting the Movie tax credits . . .

No one likes the fact that there is less money than before. No one likes the fact that they will have to accept less instead of more. However the government cannot change that reality, they can only deal with the reality.

No question , Cities or other agencies that cannot manage themselves should have management authority taken away. No question some municipals are completely dysfunctional, redundant and should be dissolved. No question some municipalities simply cannot keep promises made to unions in various contracts. These are all realities. Protesting realities does not make any sense.

What the unions should be doing is working on a counter proposal. Identify the municipalities that are failing and offer a solution. "We will accept X if you do Y" Yelling "We want what we used to have" is pointless. It is like a child eating an apple and then screaming because he no longer has an apple.

This is a good post. I dont believe this new law is really aimed at union workers, but at failing municipalities.(and schools) In reality this law is likely aimed at the ultimalte failed municipality, Detroit. The only way Detroit will ever be cleaned up is by having outsiders strip the city of its management authority, or maybe abolish the corrupt city all together. I dont think you will see that many union workers harmed by this law. More likely the corrupt politicians and administrators that caused many of the problems will lose thier positions. This is not the huge union issue its being made out to be, really unions are a sideline to this. They are just very vocal about it because the law allows any contract to be voided by it. Like you have pointed out, this is no different than bankrupcy. This law may really help the state step in and clean up Detroit. The new law does give alot of power to the state, and if they abuse it in ways the union is suggesting they may we can overturn the law through Michigans referendum process. State officials know this, so hopefully they will use this power with great discretion.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:02 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Sacrifices by the unions have been made. It's not their fault the state is broke. This is pure wealth redistribution, from the backs of the people to corporations. So much for "less government" as a GOP plank.
Think again.

Public employees health insurance premiums have been reimbursed 100% forever, and every year premiums go up they get reimbursed ... yep, 100%. Now they whine about the possibility of paying 20% <gasp!>? I have news for you ... in the real world we've paying up to 100% out of pocket plus we've shouldered large increases on our own.

Grand Rapids-area lawmaker introduces plan to have public employees pay 20 percent of health insurance premiums | MLive.com

Next, let's talk about counties protecting their union turf by refusing cost saving consolidation shall we? Here's just one example. And they wonder why more teeth were added to the emergency financial manager's provision.

Saginaw County leaders won't combine offices of the register of deeds, clerk | MLive.com

Next is lack of accountability (we all remember Kwame, right?). As the author states, deal with the mess in your own backyard, or get pushed aside by someone else who'll do it for you. This should of been done years ago but noooo, it's the good old union interfering again.

Editorial: New state financial tools will help fix budgets, not bust unions | Detroit Free Press | freep.com (http://www.freep.com/article/20110316/OPINION01/103160307/Editorial-New-state-financial-tools-will-help-fix-budgets-not-bust-unions - broken link)

Finally, how did it get so bad in places like Benton Harbor, Pontiac, Detroit, Hamtramck, etc? 'In Hamtramck,'the city's ability to maneuver out of trouble by reducing expenses was hobbled by union intransigence.' Sound familiar?

Stephen Henderson: Stop the hysteria on financial managers | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Wealth redistribution? Your damn right it is, and high time. The unions have stolen our wallets and we want it back. The financial squandering, influence peddling, turf protecting, not accountable, complacent, and irresponsible actions of unions, school districts, and municipalities which has virtually bankrupted this state is about to end. Let's just hope its not too late!

Old 03-18-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Finally, how did it get so bad in places like Benton Harbor, Pontiac, Detroit, Hamtramck, etc? 'In Hamtramck,'the city's ability to maneuver out of trouble by reducing expenses was hobbled by union intransigence.' Sound familiar?

Stephen Henderson: Stop the hysteria on financial managers | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Wow! Heady stuff from a guy (Henderson) who is hardly known as a shill for GOP concerns. Yes, cities pussyfoot around even after they are broke and the state gets socked with a huge responsibility (and cost) without any ability to do anything. He also points out that it was Dillion (a Democrat) who championed more radical measures before Snyder was even Governor.

Sometimes you have to come in with guns blazin' when the stars are lined up and see what happens like Snyder is doing. Bush had a complete majority from '02 through '06 and could have done something about federal spending but squandered it because the GOP turned politicians and refused to make hard decisions. Obama had a complete majority for two years and made some radical moves (health care, for one) that cost him dearly but at least he moved. Unions are Democrat, Snyder has a GOP majority. You think he's NOT going to try something to clip their wings? To the victor go the spoils. Get moving before the new politicians get too cozy with their surroundings and start listening to polls, rather than what they believe is right to do. It could backfire but that's always the risk you take when you make hard decisions.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:10 AM

362 posts, read 695,779 times
Our school district has been able to get along with staying above water despite the companies closeting doors and moving to China. Along comes KING RICHARD who cuts per student funding by $750.00. that is a huge blow that can not be made up in the near future. So KING RICHARD appoints a manager from his list of boot licking flunkies and your voted in school board has no say nor do you. You lost all your rights to be represented for your tax dollars, KING RICHARD is doing that.

Our small town is getting by at the present time. along comes KING RICHARD and cuts revenue sharing to cities and other local governments. Again KING RICHARD appoints one of his boot licking lackeys to run your city. The people you voted for have no say any longer. Many of these short falls are made by the actions of KING RICHARD and his GOP lackeys in Lansing. But you lost your vote never the less and you will still be paying taxes with out reprasentment by people you had a right to vote for.

I do know that this state is going to lose in the end, as class room sizes are going to get bigger with less material. and some fine teachers proven to do exentllent jobs are going to move to a friendlier place to live and teach. You thing the children are not getting a education now , just wait.

As for 1200 applications for one teaching job I don't find that strange at all.
What is our unemployeement rate at now?
Just how many colleges will have just how many grads soon?

I have 3 properties I own in Michigan, (UPPER, Mid Michigan and south east Michigan). My property taxes have not gone down one bit on any of them.
The tax in the UPPER is going up by $300.00 in 2011.
The tax in Mid Michigan went up by $150.00 in 2010
Only here in the south east has the taxes stayed the same.
Most of the tax short falls in Michigan can be singled out being caused by big business. They closed their doors and moved to China. Greedy bankers caused a huge recession which got people laid off. Not to mention the huge cost increase of oil in 2008 and now again in 2011.
As a voter you should be mad as the dickens. If you did not a vote just shut up and live with KING RICHARD and his lackeys.
After all you didn't care to vote.

Al

Old 03-19-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
I have 3 properties I own in Michigan, (UPPER, Mid Michigan and south east Michigan). My property taxes have not gone down one bit on any of them.
The tax in the UPPER is going up by $300.00 in 2011.
The tax in Mid Michigan went up by $150.00 in 2010
Only here in the south east has the taxes stayed the same.
Most of the tax short falls in Michigan can be singled out being caused by big business. They closed their doors and moved to China. Greedy bankers caused a huge recession which got people laid off. Not to mention the huge cost increase of oil in 2008 and now again in 2011.
As a voter you should be mad as the dickens. If you did not a vote just shut up and live with KING RICHARD and his lackeys.
After all you didn't care to vote.

Al
Appeal your taxes. Most people I talk to saw their assessments lowered for 2011. Seems to me voters WERE mad as the dickens and just four months ago displayed their collective anger (mostly at QUEEN GRANHOLM).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan