Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:35 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlady View Post
Hi Joe, I'm from Texas by way of L.A. (lived there 10 years) and moved to MI last June. You didn't mention where in CA you're from, but your mention of "expensive, full of plastic/materialistic people, extravagant people" makes me think you're from one of the major metro areas. I totally understand what you mean by cost of living and the huge discrepancy between the "haves" and the "have-nots." My husband and I are extremely educated (I just finished a PhD), we made an excess of $120,000 a year and pretty much could be lumped into the "have-nots" when you consider all those mansions on the hills.

So yeah, I know what you mean by wanting to look for greener pastures in other states where your money goes a lot further. And MI, from June to October, is stunning. Gorgeous. However, I would caution ANYONE to not underestimate the winters. They are very long, very cold, and most significantly, and very cloudy. By some estimates the small town I live in (Holland) has no sun 209 days out of the year. It's a huge transition for someone coming from CA ... one that I did not see coming. Never would have thought about it. Just a head's up as you think about what states might be a good fit for you. In the meantime, I'm daydreaming of deserts.
I was born and raised in NW Michigan. At 17 I left. I lived in several different states for small periods of time (including Texas) and later ended up in San Diego, Ca. and later settled down in the Majove Desert for the next 30 years. In 2007 I left SoCal, mainly because of the cost of living.
I found that leaving Califoria can have more +'s than -'s.
>Less smoggy skies, fresh air,more blue skies,["NOTE: because of the smog in SoCal, most people have Asthma. My asthma cleared up within mo's."]
>also: depending on where you go, less illegal aliens,
> all for seasons.
> little to no earthquakes, (again depending on the destination)
> lower cost of living
> The "fast lane" is no longer such an obligation......"many states are behind times compared to Calif," or to reword it: "life is slower".(in comparison)
I could go on and on. But let's just say,
There definately will be a culture shock. But that too could be good or bad, depending on you expectations.

IronLady: I'd take Michigan's cold weather over the Hot Texas humidity.(south of Houston)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 08:27 PM

13 posts, read 24,184 times
Wow thanks a TON for all the info guys! Especially Coldjensens for taking the time to type all of that.

I'm definitely going to check out TC and see if I can visit MI this April, if not during the summer.

I had about 3-4 states in mind but I think I've narrowed them down to 2 including MI. I'm really liking what I hear about Washington (state).

Old 03-23-2011, 09:20 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe2112 View Post
Wow thanks a TON for all the info guys! Especially Coldjensens for taking the time to type all of that.

I'm definitely going to check out TC and see if I can visit MI this April, if not during the summer.

I had about 3-4 states in mind but I think I've narrowed them down to 2 including MI. I'm really liking what I hear about Washington (state).

March and April are not the nicest months in Michigan. There is alot of mud and slush, its a transition season we really kinda just deal with here. If you come here in April keep in mind that the scenery is much much nicer at almost any other time of year. I would recomend putting your trip off for a month or two, then you will see the state at its best.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
March and April are not the nicest months in Michigan. There is alot of mud and slush, its a transition season we really kinda just deal with here. If you come here in April keep in mind that the scenery is much much nicer at almost any other time of year. I would recomend putting your trip off for a month or two, then you will see the state at its best.
May and June when the pink and white apple and fruit blossoms come out.
The smell of Spring Blossom in Michigan is unforgettable and the scenery is like a Norman Rockwell painting.
I can still remember it from decades ago.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:58 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
March and April are when we try to get our inside chores all done. There is not much that you cna do outside. It is muddy everywhere, water is too cold for use as water and too wet for use as ice. No leaves on tes and trails are muck.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:50 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Quote:
April can be decent if you catch it on the right day (in late April, not early April). While the trees are still mostly bare, the grass can be a very brilliant green in April, which I think can make for some nice scenery. April can be anything from gray and snowy to sunny and 60. If it's sunny and 60 when the grass is turning green, April can be beautiful.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:06 AM

485 posts, read 966,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
April can be decent if you catch it on the right day (in late April, not early April). While the trees are still mostly bare, the grass can be a very brilliant green in April, which I think can make for some nice scenery. April can be anything from gray and snowy to sunny and 60. If it's sunny and 60 when the grass is turning green, April can be beautiful.
I agree. April is a definite toss-up in Michigan but as it gets later in the month, you'll have at least a few glad-to-be-alive days and appreciate them even more if you've been here all winter.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:36 PM

325 posts, read 371,678 times
Ha! I came here for the first time On May 14th, 2010, just two weeks before we moved here. Had decided to live in East Grand Rapids and make the hubby commute to Holland till I saw the stunning little town of Holland. Tulips were out, grass was green, air was crisp and clear, running teams were enthusiastically trekking the city, bikers were out. I noticed that the ground was still cold, but I didn't stop to process about why it would still be cold ... like, winter was just over! Joke's on me! But seriously, sun's out today and I'm lovin' it!

Old 03-24-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlady View Post
Ha! I came here for the first time On May 14th, 2010, just two weeks before we moved here. Had decided to live in East Grand Rapids and make the hubby commute to Holland till I saw the stunning little town of Holland. Tulips were out, grass was green, air was crisp and clear, running teams were enthusiastically trekking the city, bikers were out. I noticed that the ground was still cold, but I didn't stop to process about why it would still be cold ... like, winter was just over! Joke's on me! But seriously, sun's out today and I'm lovin' it!
ironlady, I was raised on a Dairy farm just north of Grand Rapids. I remember going down to Holland to buy our farm equipment, (John Deere and MF Tractors)
and up to Copmich for cattle auctions.
Is Holland still known for it's farming supplies?

Old 04-06-2011, 05:41 PM

325 posts, read 371,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
ironlady, I was raised on a Dairy farm just north of Grand Rapids. I remember going down to Holland to buy our farm equipment, (John Deere and MF Tractors)
and up to Copmich for cattle auctions.
Is Holland still known for it's farming supplies?
Mkfarnam, I haven't noticed many John Deere or MF Tractor dealerships around here. Come to think of it, I haven't seen much farming equipment at all. But then again, I could be comparing it to Lubbock, Texas, the cotton capital of Texas. That place had tons of John Deeres. I'd know. Got ran over by one when I was five.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan