U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 04:56 PM

3,094 posts, read 2,575,838 times

Advertisements

Anyway, there are a couple of interesting points in the thread. One is about whether Lansing's fate would have been similar to Detroit, Flint, and Saginaw if MSU and state government was not there. Maybe, but I think more likely that Lansing would have never grown in the first place beyond more than a small town. Places like Mason, Charlotte, and Owosso might have been more major players in central Michigan. A lot of the reason that the industry that did set up in Lansing was the result of there being infrastructure from state government and MSU.

A second point is about how having both state government and a flagship state university hasn't paid off for Lansing like it has in counterparts in other states. I think that in many ways, it has paid off in Lansing, at least regionally - the number of cultural activities seems high and the percentage of highly skilled jobs in the area does as well. I don't think they're advertised as much as in other places, though. Also, Lansing does have to deal with its industrial past, as well as being in the shadow of other Michigan cities (it's an hour and 15 minutes to get to most of the others.) That, and with the Michigan recession, the success of the area is muted. Even so, the Lansing area has done well comparatively in the state over the past ten years, and I'm wondering why it's often ignored there when it's trumpeted for Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, and Kalamazoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 07:43 PM

356 posts, read 933,713 times
My previous comparison in this thread to Flint was more of a statement that Lansing and Flint were second tier automotive manufacturing cities, after the Detroit metro area. Lansing may be the biggest automotive manufacturing center outside of Detroit metro, since Flint has lost most of its manufacturing(?). I don't know this for sure.

I think that suburban development has hurt the City of Lansing quite a bit. Perhaps Lansing followed the Detroit pattern of flight to the suburbs more than GR and Kalamazoo?

Old 04-03-2011, 10:27 PM

10,854 posts, read 8,278,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
Just a question, but I'm wondering why it seems like Lansing is often compared to Detroit, Flint, and Saginaw, rather than places like Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo, despite that employment and demographic trends seem to suggest evidence to the contrary.

Is it the shared GM heritage? Are there a lot of people in the Lansing area from there? I'm just wondering, because while Lansing has fared a little worse than west Michigan over the past 40 years or so, the decline is nowhere even close to that of the cities it's often compared with - not to knock them or anything, because Detroit and Flint seem to have a culture and pride that Lansing might be lacking in many ways.

So... what does everyone think?
I've lived in Lansing for about a year. I've been to Detroit, Grand River, Traverse City and Flint.

Lansing doesn't have anywhere near the urban blight that Detroit and Flint have. Not that it doesn't have but it's not near as bad as the other two cities. Economically the state government, MSU and the GM plants anchor the city. The city is making some attempts to diversify itself economically. Another thing that separates Lansing from Detroit and Flint is that its much more racially integrated than the other two cities. In fact Lansing is probably the most integrated large city racially in the state. That's not just on a percentage basis but on people working together, going to school together and most importantly socializing together.

Last edited by JazzyTallGuy; 04-03-2011 at 10:35 PM..

Old 04-03-2011, 10:30 PM

10,854 posts, read 8,278,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Why can't Lansing/East Lansing be more like Madison?

Madison has the state capital and largest public university, the state flagship, UW.

Lansing/East has the state capital and largest public university which is one of two of Michigan's flagships, MSU.

Why can't L/EL be more Madison like? Madison is a name that literally screams "SUCCESS." And, ok, I'd more than grant you in is one of the most beautiful settings for any city, placed on an isthmus between two large lakes.

And it never did have to contend with Lansing's now failing industrial past.

Still state capital and major flagship state university should pay off in L/EL the way that it does in Madison, Columbus, Austin, Baton Rogue, Lincoln, M/SP, etc.

shouldn't it? I mean, how many cities would drool to have those two state induced advantages conferred upon it?
The biggest difference I see with Lansing and other college cities like Madison, Austin, Palo Alto, Berkley, Seattle etc. is there doesn't seem to be strong a connection between the university and local government and business to promote and spur business startups.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:31 AM

3,095 posts, read 5,623,818 times
Quote:
Another thing that separates Lansing from Detroit and Flint is that its much more racially integrated than the other two cities. In fact Lansing is probably the most integrated large city racially in the state. That's not just on a percentage basis but on people working together, going to school together and most importantly socializing together.
I think this is probably true, just from being in the area and observing. Grand Rapids and Lansing are the two Michigan cities that I'm most familiar with, and Lansing seems to be much more integrated than Grand Rapids.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:28 AM

28 posts, read 33,372 times
I think lansing is a model of integration. The detroit area is very polarized as far as race. While no place os free of problems, lansing is doing pretty well; certainly when you factor in the low cost of living in lansing.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:54 AM

493 posts, read 1,293,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
My previous comparison in this thread to Flint was more of a statement that Lansing and Flint were second tier automotive manufacturing cities, after the Detroit metro area. Lansing may be the biggest automotive manufacturing center outside of Detroit metro, since Flint has lost most of its manufacturing(?). I don't know this for sure.
I thought that Lansing's contribution to the auto industry was the Oldsmobile, and they are no longer manufactured.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:51 PM

28 posts, read 53,148 times
I have lived in Lansing for 20 years and I believe Lansing is compared to cities such as Flint and Detroit because of how bad it is getting in relation to crime. When I was growing up, Lansing was a much safter place to live and as the years went on, the crime started to get worse and worse. It's not as bad as Flint or Detroit but it is getting pretty bad. Each time you turn the news on here, there will mostly be some sort of murder, break-in, shooting, burglary, stabbing, etc. that took place that day. I think most of the people who wouldn't consider Lansing dangerous are the ones who either don't watch the news, or have never left their home. I'm moving out of Lansing soon, it's boring, not pretty, there's always construction going on, there are no jobs, and too much crime.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:58 PM

27 posts, read 39,985 times
I lived here for 40 years. I can understand comparisons to Flint, but anyone who would compare us to Detroit is not very smart and has never been outside of Michigan. WE ARE NOTHING LIKE DETROIT!!! Lansing is like Fort Wayne, Madison and St. Paul. Yes we are the most intergrated city in Michigan and I love that fact. Lansing is not about racism, but about classism. When you travel around the Mid-West you will realize Grand Rapids does not belong in Michigan, it belongs either in the Dayton/Cincinnati area or on I-65 between Louisville and Nashville. Lansing does not belong in Michigan either. It belongs on I-94 between Milwaukee and Madison. It should be Lansing Wisconsin!!! Lansing is like Madison with Milwaukee industry and a small portion of Milwaukee crime.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:54 PM

27 posts, read 39,985 times
One thing you might want to understand about Lansing compared to Columbus and Madison is that MSU is on the southside of East Lansing quite away from downtown Lansing. The Universities in Columbus and Madison are close to and more intergrated with their downtown areas. They are physically set up different!! MSU is a seperate more isolated campus. You can be a student at MSU and never ever go to Lansing. If MSU surrounded downtown Lansing we would be quite a bit different. And we do have pride, it's just we have a large number of people from Detroit who live here who couldn't care less about us. They are just here because they are not getting shot at!!! They are always talking about how they hate us and how great Detriot is. If Detroit is so great then they need to go home. We tell them to go back to Detroit and they never leave!!! They really don't bring anything positive to our city. Flint has more pride because the people who love Flint stayed in Flint when the fair weather Flint fans left years ago!!! It's all about perception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or