Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 04:33 AM

5,764 posts, read 11,592,088 times

Advertisements

It seems like Michigan has an unusual number of smaller towns with extremely high crime rates - Saginaw, Benton Harbor, Flint, and others. How and why did things get that way? Small towns are supposed to be refuges from the 'big, bad city.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 09:41 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,177,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
It seems like Michigan has an unusual number of smaller towns with extremely high crime rates - Saginaw, Benton Harbor, Flint, and others. How and why did things get that way? Small towns are supposed to be refuges from the 'big, bad city.'
I just moved to Michigan 1 year ago, so I can't pretend to have any insider knowledge. But it seems that each of these towns have been hit very hard in the employment sector; BH by Whirlpool, and Flint and Saginaw by the auto industry. Unemployment=problems.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:48 AM

66 posts, read 339,086 times
Flint and Saginaw never used to be small towns by Michigan standards, Flint has, at times, been Michigan's second largest city.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conovercourt View Post
Flint and Saginaw never used to be small towns by Michigan standards, Flint has, at times, been Michigan's second largest city.
Regardless of Michigan's standards, they are towns, not cities. Maybe Flint could qualify as a small city...but the point is, they aren't doing well, no matter what we call them!

Old 07-16-2007, 04:54 PM

999 posts, read 4,512,483 times
Saginaw: GM

Flint: GM

That's why.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:24 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,874,604 times
True, but the midsize cities of Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio are not far behind in terms of crime. Illinois is better, but you might be surprised at the number of towns/cities in Illinois and Iowa with crime issues.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
True, but the midsize cities of Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio are not far behind in terms of crime. Illinois is better, but you might be surprised at the number of towns/cities in Illinois and Iowa with crime issues.
I'm not surprised. I lived in Waterloo, IA for a bit as a kid and that's a pretty bad town...

Old 07-17-2007, 04:09 PM

86 posts, read 455,487 times
The population of Flint proper is still hovering around 110,000... so though people are leaving, we're not quite to small town status just yet.

Per capita, at last check we have one of the highest violent crime rates in the country (right up there with Detroit, St. Louis, New Orleans). However, there are safe areas within the city proper - the crime is concentrated within certain pockets. Unemployment certainly is a factor - also drugs, poor education, poor family values, low expectations for our young people... among many other things.

Personally, I think stopping crime starts with teaching our children to keep a cool head in a bad situation, and that thefts, shootings, fistfights, etc. don't solve anything. You can give unemployed Joe Schmoe a job, but if Joe Schmoe is still angry enough at Jack Schmoe to get a gun and shoot him, he will do it whether he has a job or not. Just my two cents.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:11 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,874,604 times
Flint and Youngstown have lost > 50% of their peak population. That's bad no matter how you slice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I'm not surprised. I lived in Waterloo, IA for a bit as a kid and that's a pretty bad town...
The Iowa forums, as well as comments I received by asking around Iowa City, have informed me on this. That's why I mentioned Iowa ... I had no idea about this until a few weeks ago.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:41 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,592,088 times
Quote:
However, there are safe areas within the city proper - the crime is concentrated within certain pockets.
Those pockets are just ridiculously bad, though. Is it a failure of police funding? Social services? Schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan