Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 05:54 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,005 times

Advertisements

Michigan census: Which places will lose population? Here are state demographer's expectations | MLive.com

Quote:
Whether the census count for Detroit is even lower than earlier census estimates. The bureau estimated the state’s largest city had dropped to 910,920 in July 2009, down about 40,000 people since 2000.
But a July 2010 estimate by a regional planning agency placed the number closer to 772,419. That number was developed by the Southeast Michigan Council of Governments (SEMCOG).
Quote:
Other trends Darga anticipates: population growth in West Michigan, Northwest Michigan, fringe metropolitan counties, non-metropolitan counties, and townships in general.
He expects decreases for the Upper Peninsula, Northeast Michigan, central metropolitan counties, and cities in general.
Quote:
A decrease in non-Hispanic whites. Those numbers also have been lower than the Census Bureau had expected based on earlier estimates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 08:00 PM

21,121 posts, read 19,703,590 times
We'll find out soon. We're one of only 8 states whose info hasn't been released yet.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:46 PM

98 posts, read 181,149 times
I see dozens of rental trucks moving everyday out of here.The blight and vacancies will be big issues in the suburbs of Detroit.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:34 PM

351 posts, read 797,202 times
FYI~When the numbers come out this link is very easy for individual cities or counties etc.
2010 US Census News & Data - USATODAY.com

Old 03-20-2011, 01:57 PM

98 posts, read 181,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemits View Post
FYI~When the numbers come out this link is very easy for individual cities or counties etc.
2010 US Census News & Data - USATODAY.com
Just statistical lies.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:42 PM

surprised to see that GR lost people or 4.9%. It is down to 188,040.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:44 PM

michigan stats.

Census 2010: Michigan - USATODAY.com

Old 03-22-2011, 07:35 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemits View Post
surprised to see that GR lost people or 4.9%. It is down to 188,040.
Grand Rapids needs to just keep doing what it's doing. Compared to other Midwest cities, GR fared very well. Losing a few thousand over a 10-year period is a drop in the bucket. I think GR is a desirable place to live, and is making all the right moves. Keep investing in new industries, building up your urban core, redeveloping historic properties, keeping the streets clean and buses running on time, and pushing for vibrancy and energy. I have friends who are young professionals who have recently moved there and love it. Don't get discouraged GR, just keep moving forward and your city will succeed!

Old 03-22-2011, 09:38 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,005 times
I was surprised by the census results but can now assume that the state of Michigan saw population lost because of Detroit specifically. I also think it could be significant or insignificant to know that the largest city lost a population of nearly 250k residents, but the state only lost a total population of 40k. It makes me question where are all of these Detroit residents moving to, because most did not leave the state and I am not sure if enough numbers add up to say they all simply went to Detroit suburbs.
Besides being surprised on how little Detroit is getting, and how it's beginning to have a lesser role in the US I am surprised to know that Grand Rapids is still shrinking. The city of Grand Rapids is having little growth compared to other cities in the US, and the state of Michigan is not growing at all and according to census results may have lost a lot marketable residents.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:09 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
I was surprised by the census results but can now assume that the state of Michigan saw population lost because of Detroit specifically. I also think it could be significant or insignificant to know that the largest city lost a population of nearly 250k residents, but the state only lost a total population of 40k. It makes me question where are all of these Detroit residents moving to, because most did not leave the state and I am not sure if enough numbers add up to say they all simply went to Detroit suburbs.
Besides being surprised on how little Detroit is getting, and how it's beginning to have a lesser role in the US I am surprised to know that Grand Rapids is still shrinking. The city of Grand Rapids is having little growth compared to other cities in the US, and the state of Michigan is not growing at all and according to census results may have lost a lot marketable residents.
The City of Detroit's population loss directly accounts for the modest gains seen in a few of Detroit's suburbs, with a balance of -140k. Thus, the net loss to Metro Detroit (city and suburbs) based on the census is approximately 140k.

Logically, I don't think that the City of Detroit actually lost 250k people given that the whole state only lost 40k. It's more realistic that Detroit lost around 200k, and about 40-50k people from both the city or the suburbs left the state. The other hundred thousand or so lost in Metro Detroit dispersed to other parts of the state or rural counties in SE Michigan outside of the true Metropolitan area. Livingston and Lapeer Counties posted sizable gains.

Last edited by ForStarters; 03-22-2011 at 10:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan