U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 12:17 PM

481 posts, read 856,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newaygo1 View Post
It appears if they want to make it "EQUAL" to what many US citizens have or get they would own up and take a "CUT" but once they are in they get these for life how many US Citizens get Health Coveraghe for life? Non that I know of unless they are paying out of pocket. And yet they can move on to other employment and still not pay for this either because they get it ongoing. So how is it not an entitlement if they continue getting once they are out of the JOB??? How many of us get this???

I think they think think it is an entitlement because they get it for life once they are there for a limited time...

So again explain how it is not a entitlement??? Enlighten me please???

I continue losing benefits and they get their for life. And most employers are cutting them if they even offer them.

But for some they don't see this it is happening as time goes...

Newaygo1
This is a benefit of working for the legislature and is written in their compensation policy. It is pretty generous because of the meager six-year rule and I disagree with it as well, however, they have "earned" it because they followed the steps that were written AT THAT TIME. There is now a bill that would end this.

In the strict sense of the word, it IS an entitlement. So is your paycheck if you put in the required work to earn it. The way we are bandying the word around though is based on semantics and assigns a value judgement to whether they actually deserve it. While not wholeheartedly endorsing the past policy of the short time frame to qualify for the benefits, I still hold that those that vested in the system should still get them.

You must not know many people because there are a lot of people getting benefits for life including retired state and federal employees (myself included), retired school teachers, retired autoworkers, etc. and these benefits are still valid if these folks work at other jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 08:41 AM

51 posts, read 70,397 times
So you are saying te government can just end a union contracy because of lack of money. If there is a lack of money then why not curb the benefits / entitlements of our legistators? If the rile is one thing and they can just change why not do the same who make up these rules???

Most of them are at the wealthy end of the population and once they are the job opportunities are end less so why do they need such great benefits for life? Most Americans don't get these kind of benefits so why not make them pay like the rest of us are then maybe they will see what the rest of us are having deal with when getting any kind of benefit like health insurance coverage.

I appreciate what they do but at the same time they make up the rules so way can't they change them like they are so the rest of us??? Yet they can afford to pay these costs.

I have seen this in many places people that work for 20 years and have had to take cuts in pay and benefits and has put them in to a bad situation Union or not just to have a job. If those legislators had to deal with these issues maybe they would start working on getting the US back and going instead of infighting between the parties. But it is an entrouched thing that will be on going. Giving something up might open their eyes to the real world they are out of touch... Time they give up something and then see how hard it is to afford it.
It will be on ongoing trend for many more Americans but not the legislators.

Newaygo1

Old 04-03-2011, 06:15 PM

1,214 posts, read 4,471,080 times
Also, for those who keep bringing up the fact that the rules on the benefits were in place when those in office took the job... and to change the rules retroactively would not be fair,

what about those in union jobs where the retirees lose their benefits years after retiring. They lost them due to a new contract voted on by current employees, and the retirees don't have voting rights!

If raises, vacation days and benefits for retirees are on the table and the only ones who can vote are current employees, guess what gets cut?

That is not fair! So if it can happen to the common union worker, why not legislators?? Especially considering one person has to work 30+ years for the benefit, and the other only has to put in 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or