U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 09:55 AM

3 posts, read 7,346 times

Advertisements

My hubby went back to school, and upon graduation has been offered a job. It is a city job, with a 2 year contract. The one rule of it is that we must reside in Warren for those first 2 years. We're from a suburb of Lansing, we've driven through it recently. That's my knowledge of Warren. We will be renting, and are looking (hopefully) to pay $600-700 for a 3 bedroom house. We have a 13 year old daughter and a 8 year old son with autism. I know nothing about the schools, just that there are alot of them. Info I'm looking for, + anything else you feel I should know would be greatly appreciated.
*What are the schools like, from the good to the bad, because it may come down to where we can find a house in a months span
*What areas are the best, and the worst
*Any info on special ed, or a special school would be so helpful
*Crime info in the areas
*When I look on Craigslist alot of the houses say in Van Dyke or Fitzgerald school districts (would you send your kids there?) What would be the best ones to shoot for
*Are alot of the kids in the school district from other areas (here we have school of choice)
*anything else....thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 11:19 AM

8,710 posts, read 10,604,566 times
Congrats on the job offer!! Good to read!

Warren, like any city, has it's good areas and not so great areas. Depends on what you can afford and what your needs or wants are. I think it might be tough to rent what you need for that amount in one of the better areas, but then again, I am not a renter so I could be wrong. Others may know better.

A decent guideline of schools is GreatSchools.org Search: warren

Use it with a grain of salt.

Personally, I would not send my kids to those schools, but that is just me. I think Warren Woods is better. My children attended Warren Consolidated Schools. One daughter graduated from Warren Mott. I think it was a pretty good school. My son attended Green Acres Elementary and I really liked it. My other daughter went to Beer Middle School and it was decent. But, my children started school in a private school, so the change was drastic for them. We moved before they all got into HS, which is why only one graduated from there.

I do not know about the special ed part.

As far as area, that is probably based on opinion. I would not have moved anywhere below 11 mile. JMO. My father lives at 10 mile and Ryan and I have watched that area decline tremendously. It is sad, because it was so nice there. It is ok, but just that, TO ME. My niece and nephew attended Centerline School District and while it was ok, they say there was a lot of crime and drugs there. I am sure there are drugs in any school system though.

Good luck in your search! I am sure you will be fine where ever you choose!

Old 03-28-2011, 11:41 AM

340 posts, read 866,040 times
From what I have heard the Warren Woods is better than WCS. I think the nicest parts of Warren are between 12 and 14 mile towards the northeast but that's just my opinion, lots of older tree lined neighborhoods. Anything near Van Dyke I would avoid. The problem is a 3 br house for $700 is going to be very hard to find, even in Warren, unless you are willing to look into apartments. I'm estimating at least 900 to 1000 for a 3 br in a decent area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or