U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:43 AM

760 posts, read 2,214,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I like the mix of scenery. From flat midwest-style farm country to rolling hills, swampland, dense wooded areas, sandy beaches, rocky cliffs along Lake Superior, the more tame shoreline of Lake Huron, trees ranging from blazing maple trees to evergreens, islands, huge sand dunes, etc, etc.
All of this and so much of what the others have said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
We have something for almost everyone, except for the diehard fans of mountains and the larger-than-life landscapes out west. And that's OK. Not everyone has to like Michigan. But there IS a lot to like.
The great thing tho, it's very easy to drive out West on vacation to see those huge mountains and larger-than-life landscapes. We go almost every year.
Then we come back home to Michigan where we often feel like we're on vacation permanently.
The best of all worlds in our opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 12:03 PM

1,490 posts, read 3,256,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post

Ummm, yeah. And you can't name just ONE thing you love about MI as per the topic of the thread? Just wondering.

Ummmm, like this is the FIRST thread that has "what do you love about Michigan'? Or the second? Or the third?

Solely for your benefit, I'll repeat myself.

I enjoy the fall colors, the cider mills on warm afternoons, a coney dog (two), driving to see my college rooting interest play, the Christmas lights on the snow, the afternoon thunder on a muggy summer day, the first peek of a Great Lake. The Detroit skyline from Windsor. People who know how to drive fast. That enough for ya?

Old 03-29-2011, 12:19 PM

481 posts, read 854,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Totally agree! And Michigan has some AMAZING beaches! If it were warm water and warm enough to swim year round, you would hear lots more about them. They would rival most beaches anywhere in the country.
I think if you cut out Michigan (including the entire Great Lakes) and stuck it at the latitude of, say Tennessee, you would obviously have warmer waters and the attraction would be incredible. Problem is, the cost of houses/property would be through the roof. Also, it would probably double in population, destroying one of the benefits of the state. Of couse, the great lakes and our inland lakes are quite clear and pristine for a variety of reasons, one being our chilly climate. I don't think they would be so attractive if they started to look like the murkier lakes and streams you see down south.

All in all, I'll take Michigan as is.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:46 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,848,287 times
Lakes, water, woods, abundant wildlife, uncrowded.

This afternoon after work I took my dogs for an hour and a half walk in a county park. It was completely empty. Last time I was there was Sunday afternoon; I noticed my boot-prints in the snow from Sunday and nobody had walked that trail since.

The fact that no matter where you live in Michigan, even in big cities, you don't have to drive far at all - usually less than 30 minutes - to get to clean, uncrowded natural beauty. I moved here from out west and while it's sort of nice that there's more of an active/outdoorsy culture west of here, that also means that anywhere you go except way out in the boonies is crowded with hikers, walkers, mountain bikers, people jogging with dogs and strollers, etc.

Pasties!

Four seasons! (Although this winter has gone on about a month too long....)

Farmer's markets. There's fabulous farmers markets all over here.

Really cheap real estate.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:42 PM

62 posts, read 101,770 times
its the most diverse state ecosystem-wise east of the missisippi, aside from true mountains we have it all, from the humid warm continental climate of southern michigan to the subarctic boreal climate of isle royale and the northern coast of the UP. michigan easily equals california in senic areas/seasonal outdoor activities and surpasses that state in remote wilderness areas. last time i checked there were no wolves or moose roaming california........we also have the lion's share of the nation's drinkable water....

ive lived in several states and at the moment, i find only two of them to be eminantly livable, michigan and florida.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:53 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,406,861 times
I'm curious as to why you like Florida. It seems like it would be the exact opposite of Michigan.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:59 PM

1,745 posts, read 2,209,075 times
Traverse City. One of the prettiest places on Earth!

Old 03-29-2011, 10:51 PM

8,710 posts, read 10,606,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Ummmm, like this is the FIRST thread that has "what do you love about Michigan'? Or the second? Or the third?

Solely for your benefit, I'll repeat myself.

I enjoy the fall colors, the cider mills on warm afternoons, a coney dog (two), driving to see my college rooting interest play, the Christmas lights on the snow, the afternoon thunder on a muggy summer day, the first peek of a Great Lake. The Detroit skyline from Windsor. People who know how to drive fast. That enough for ya?
You didn't have to post anything. If you have seen tons of LOVE MI threads, you could have just passed this one by, right?

Old 03-30-2011, 05:58 AM

4,121 posts, read 7,950,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Traverse City. One of the prettiest places on Earth!
I have to totally agree. The more I go here...anytime of year...the more I love it. I get almost the same feeling going to the TC area as I do going to the U.P...almost.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:11 AM

1,061 posts, read 3,254,601 times
We've lived here for 8 months now and have barely gone anywhere because there's just so much beauty and fun right here in our own back yard! I'm so excited to take the girls to Lake Michigan ("The water isn't salty?!?! Yay!" said my 8 year old) and to explore the northern part of the LP. Oh, and the ocean water in southern california is freezing at all times of the year, so the cold water doesn't deter us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan