U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 06:25 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,848,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Uh, there are a lot of people who are more or less staked to their state, I wouldn't necessarily call them "losers"...everyone has complaints about where they live. So the alternative is to wander around with a fake smile pasted on?
Of course not, nobody is expected to be a pollyanna, that is just weird.
Re-read the subject and question in the OP...I notice you conveniently ignored the second graf of my post.

And yeah...if the only thing you have to say about where you live is a somewhat incoherent little rant about how much it sucks yet you can't figure out a way to move to a different part of the Midwest or beyond...then, yeah. Loser, paint that big L on your forehead 'cause you're it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 10:28 AM

1,490 posts, read 3,256,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
No.

It doesn't mean you have to try and drag everyone else down to your level of misery either. On a thread titled "What do you LOVE about Michigan" to come on and B'tch is just childish and being a troll. To defend someone who does that, is also childish.
Not everyone loves MIchigan. That much is clear.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:17 AM

4,121 posts, read 7,950,222 times
I love that not everyone loves Michigan because I hate traffic, and I love to go north and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:26 AM

27,749 posts, read 65,567,547 times
Some people have this strange obsessive hatred of Michigan. I have a brother like that and he is nto the only person that i know who is that way. If anyone dares to say anything positive about Michigan, Detroit, or anything related to either, they go on the warpath. It is puzzling. They get all angry and even start making things up or talking out their bottom about things that they have no knowlege. They spew hate about anything about the state, the people, the government, the furture, our cities, weather, geography, absolutely nothing is good or even acceptable to them. To such people anything even remotely positive about our state is a personal affront. Such people also seem to blame Michigan for their problems. "I am unemployed becuase of Michigan" I am unhappy because of Michigan" etc.

They will say that anywhere else is better. Ohio, Indiana, Ilinois, California, everywhere. If someone points out that another place has problems as well, they deny it.

THat is one of the the things about Michigan, becasue there are people who hate it so passionately, and love to blame "michigan" for eveything so widlly, that they are entertaining.

Just because some people can see positive things in their state does not mean that they are pollyannaish, naieve, or unaware of the problems. It just means that they are also capable of seeing the positive side if life.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:40 AM

8,710 posts, read 10,606,007 times
Quote:
I love the venom of Michiganders if someone dares criticize the state. Legitimate criticism or not.
Quote:
Uh, there are a lot of people who are more or less staked to their state, I wouldn't necessarily call them "losers"...everyone has complaints about where they live. So the alternative is to wander around with a fake smile pasted on?
Quote:
What the others said. I started this thread because there were already so many hate threads about MI. Is it too much to ask that the HATE posts go to the appropriate threads? Believe me, I have posted in both. I have a love/hate relationship with MI and wanted to share what I love about it.

Of course not everyone LOVES everything about where they live. Those who do are fortunate. Many who do have worked hard to be where they love.

This thread also shows those who are contemplating moving here that there are people who love it here and what they love about it.

Most likely all the state forums here have haters. That's ok. To each their own. Living between Detroit and Las Vegas puts me in two cities which are extremely loved or extremely hated. Not to mention economically hit very hard. I expect haters from both. It does not take away from what is beautiful about them.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:08 PM

4,121 posts, read 7,950,222 times
Hey...this is just a piece of land with trees lakes and rivers. It personally did not do anything to anyone to make you hate it. Its people that are to blame for most hate. Michigan is a piece of land that happens to be situated pretty far north where the cool air can swoop down at any time, so people who live here cannot blame the weather either. Its not like Michigan averaged 80 degrees a year, so people moved here and now all the sudden we have 4 seasons. People know mostly what to expect living so close to Canada...or they should. There really is nothing that catches me by surprise...or that I really hate about living here...so Im all good.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Some people have this strange obsessive hatred of Michigan. I have a brother like that and he is nto the only person that i know who is that way. If anyone dares to say anything positive about Michigan, Detroit, or anything related to either, they go on the warpath. It is puzzling. They get all angry and even start making things up or talking out their bottom about things that they have no knowlege. They spew hate about anything about the state, the people, the government, the furture, our cities, weather, geography, absolutely nothing is good or even acceptable to them. To such people anything even remotely positive about our state is a personal affront. Such people also seem to blame Michigan for their problems. "I am unemployed becuase of Michigan" I am unhappy because of Michigan" etc.

They will say that anywhere else is better. Ohio, Indiana, Ilinois, California, everywhere. If someone points out that another place has problems as well, they deny it.

THat is one of the the things about Michigan, becasue there are people who hate it so passionately, and love to blame "michigan" for eveything so widlly, that they are entertaining.

Just because some people can see positive things in their state does not mean that they are pollyannaish, naieve, or unaware of the problems. It just means that they are also capable of seeing the positive side if life.
There are also a lot of people where the reverse is true, fail to acknowledge that MI has faults like any place and pile on people who dare criticize the Mitten State. Yawn.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
What the others said. I started this thread because there were already so many hate threads about MI. Is it too much to ask that the HATE posts go to the appropriate threads? Believe me, I have posted in both. I have a love/hate relationship with MI and wanted to share what I love about it.

Of course not everyone LOVES everything about where they live. Those who do are fortunate. Many who do have worked hard to be where they love.

This thread also shows those who are contemplating moving here that there are people who love it here and what they love about it.

Most likely all the state forums here have haters. That's ok. To each their own. Living between Detroit and Las Vegas puts me in two cities which are extremely loved or extremely hated. Not to mention economically hit very hard. I expect haters from both. It does not take away from what is beautiful about them.
There is both a lot to like and a lot to hate about MI. Often, those go hand in hand.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:07 PM

8,710 posts, read 10,606,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Hey...this is just a piece of land with trees lakes and rivers. It personally did not do anything to anyone to make you hate it. Its people that are to blame for most hate. Michigan is a piece of land that happens to be situated pretty far north where the cool air can swoop down at any time, so people who live here cannot blame the weather either. Its not like Michigan averaged 80 degrees a year, so people moved here and now all the sudden we have 4 seasons. People know mostly what to expect living so close to Canada...or they should. There really is nothing that catches me by surprise...or that I really hate about living here...so Im all good.

Couldn't rep you yet. Good post. I believe this about all the states. People who move to FL and complain about humidity...

Old 04-15-2011, 07:44 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,945,612 times
Quote:
Quote:
There is both a lot to like and a lot to hate about MI. Often, those go hand in hand.
Which is why there is an entire thread devoted to what people hate about Michigan. It isn't too difficult to understand, for most people anyway, that if you want to complain about the state, do so on that thread. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan