Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:24 PM

485 posts, read 966,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Yup...and I love the many different feelings you get here. From the thumb..and further up the coast of Lake Huron, to lake Michigan, to Lake Superior. Every stop you make along the way no matter what lake.... is always changing. like Bydand and a few others mentioned, the shifting sands are always changing the look of the lakes, and the lakes themselves are always giving each area its own weather feel. Not many states can give a person so many different emotions, and one of my favorites is being at the tip of Michigan in Copper Harbor country....priceless!
Copper Harbor, so far yet so worth it! Can't think of a better place to be...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 01:25 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,640,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
Being free from most natural disasters like earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, hurricanes, large floods, large tornadoes. And being free from things like scorpions, killer bees, pythons. And at least up here, not having to worry about gangs and stuff when going out at night. And that the air is usually very clean.

And the fresh water. I've been to the ocean once and I think it's very overrated, I'd take fresh water over slimy salt water anyday. Both have a sandy beach and will allow you to see the sun on the horizon.
This is what my brother says about the ocean too, and he is out there in Honolulu counting the days until he can move back home. I'll ask him about the ocean, and his reply is always "it sucks" compared to the Great Lakes.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:32 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
Being free from most natural disasters like earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, hurricanes, large floods, large tornadoes. And being free from things like scorpions, killer bees, pythons. And at least up here, not having to worry about gangs and stuff when going out at night. And that the air is usually very clean.

And the fresh water. I've been to the ocean once and I think it's very overrated, I'd take fresh water over slimy salt water anyday. Both have a sandy beach and will allow you to see the sun on the horizon.
Totally agree! And Michigan has some AMAZING beaches! If it were warm water and warm enough to swim year round, you would hear lots more about them. They would rival most beaches anywhere in the country.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:41 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
This is what my brother says about the ocean too, and he is out there in Honolulu counting the days until he can move back home. I'll ask him about the ocean, and his reply is always "it sucks" compared to the Great Lakes.
I'd rather have the warm ocean of Hawaii any day than the cold, cold lakes.

There's a lot to like about MI but give me warm water any day.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:43 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,640,428 times
Oh, I agree. If only it were warmer water.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:51 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times
I like the mix of scenery. From flat midwest-style farm country to rolling hills, swampland, dense wooded areas, sandy beaches, rocky cliffs along Lake Superior, the more tame shoreline of Lake Huron, trees ranging from blazing maple trees to evergreens, islands, huge sand dunes, etc, etc.

We have something for almost everyone, except for the diehard fans of mountains and the larger-than-life landscapes out west. And that's OK. Not everyone has to like Michigan. But there IS a lot to like.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:19 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I do nto want to repeat my list of 100 or so things from porior threads, but what came to mind when I read the question is the fact that I can come home from work, change my clothes and jump into a canoe, or faollow a deer trail, or just sit and watch the water flow by, or build a snow fort, make a rip roaring fire in the fireplace, howl at the moon with the coyotes, pretty much anything. There is so much variety in what you can do and even more variety withthe changing seasons.

Clean fresh air and water and no traffic to speak of come in as a really close second.
Sounds like you have a great little piece of your own MI paradise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
I'd rather have the warm ocean of Hawaii any day than the cold, cold lakes.

There's a lot to like about MI but give me warm water any day.
Ummm, yeah. And you can't name just ONE thing you love about MI as per the topic of the thread? Just wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I like the mix of scenery. From flat midwest-style farm country to rolling hills, swampland, dense wooded areas, sandy beaches, rocky cliffs along Lake Superior, the more tame shoreline of Lake Huron, trees ranging from blazing maple trees to evergreens, islands, huge sand dunes, etc, etc.

We have something for almost everyone, except for the diehard fans of mountains and the larger-than-life landscapes out west. And that's OK. Not everyone has to like Michigan. But there IS a lot to like.
Love the attitude!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:12 PM

7 posts, read 7,453 times
Im a avid atv rider, michigan offers a ton of great trail systems but mainly up north. I enjoy hopping on my 4x4 atv and cruising through the woods seeing wildlife and all the colors. Its just amazing what you experience on a atv. But on a side note i would like to move to west virginia for the hatfeild mccoy trail system. Michigan has been sticklers on summer orv enthusiasts un like the snowmobiles (that i also enjoy).

Old 03-29-2011, 05:12 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Sounds like you have a great little piece of your own MI paradise!

Ummm, yeah. And you can't name just ONE thing you love about MI as per the topic of the thread? Just wondering.

Love the attitude!
Allergic to positive statements.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:06 AM

275 posts, read 441,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I do nto want to repeat my list of 100 or so things from porior threads, but what came to mind when I read the question is the fact that I can come home from work, change my clothes and jump into a canoe, or faollow a deer trail, or just sit and watch the water flow by, or build a snow fort, make a rip roaring fire in the fireplace, howl at the moon with the coyotes, pretty much anything. There is so much variety in what you can do and even more variety withthe changing seasons.

Clean fresh air and water and no traffic to speak of come in as a really close second.

For me, it's the fact that we'll be moving to the northern L.P. very soon. After the move, it will likely be all of the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan