U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:49 PM

13,387 posts, read 17,166,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
Wow, I was born in '76 and I don't know of hardly anything mentioned!

I remember when seatbelts were not necessary (loved my grandpa's station wagon) and I remember having an old black and white tv with the knob channels (we were poor). Most of the other things I've never even heard of?
I quess we were poor then, because back then that's all there was, was turn dial TV's.
I had an Uncle who owned a TV repair shop in Traverse City.....He was also a Square Dance caller on the side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 04:53 AM

313 posts, read 1,082,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I quess we were poor then, because back then that's all there was, was turn dial TV's.
I had an Uncle who owned a TV repair shop in Traverse City.....He was also a Square Dance caller on the side.
Then your grandpa knew my grandpa. He was a caller in Metro Detroit-- but they all knew each other all over the state!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:43 AM

362 posts, read 619,743 times
I remember the old steam engine and the long lines of coal cars going down the tracks so loaded they spilled alot. I remember going track walking and picking up 5 gallon steel pails of that coal and steel ball bearings.

I remember walking the roads and picking up bottles to return a grocery, cart full would usally net about $20.00 to split with my brother, a whole bunch of money back then.

I remembered driving up north to see my grand parants in a 47 Studerbaker Commender on US 10 from Grand Blac to Clare cause there was no interstate. Loved the smell going thru Midland by the dow factory.

I remember Howard shelly and his moves on Michigan out of doors TV every Thursday night. Of course I also remember Mort but not his last name.
I remember Kenney Rogers the jumping cowboy show.

I remember going to The A&W for a special treat of a root beer float. and of course the Dairy Queen for the soft ice cream with the twist on top.
I remember the summer Ice Cream social at the Avondale (up north) school with homemade ice cream.

I remember going in to the Western Auto Hard wear store to buy 5 shot gun shells and latter the Gamble store.

I remember the brand New Allis chalmber WD tractors as well as the name change from Massey Harris to Massey Fergonson in 1959.
I remembered the 1958 MM 445 I got to plow with and the horriable D14 Allis they brought to try out some afterwards.

I also remember how every one looked forward to the unveiling of the new model year of cars/trucks. I remember owning a 1957 Desota 2 door hard top.
I also remember how excited all the high school boys were when the Brand new model Pontiac GTO was unveiled in 1964, And the Ford Mustang.

I remember when American Motors Came to town and built a New plastic plant where they made parts for American Moter cars and for a refrigerter. I remember years later when I had a part break on My CJ 5 I took the broken part in to get a free brand new one.

Remember Going to the Montgumery Ward store as wel as the Federals Store on rare occations in Cadillac, least we forget the Yankee store.

I remember going to Drive in movies In Cadillac owned by a school shop teacher in Evart. In the winter some times we would get to see a movie at the learic in Cadillac.

I loved the Johnsons HardWear right next door to the movie theater. I still have fond memories of the squeeky floor, smell of leather harness, the rows of used guns with a few new ones. Buying nails by the pound from wood barrels. guy there once said to my dad He bet I was a lot of help. Dad told the cleark I wasn't worth a tinkers dam but he would not take a million for me.

Scottys Resturand was right next door, the mill was behind just a block down the hill.

I remember shopping at the A&P except for meat. We went the Red and White store for that. They would many times give my mom a hog head she made Head Cheese with.

Al

Old 03-31-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
alleyyooper wrote:
Remember Going to the Montgumery Ward store as wel as the Federals Store on rare occations in Cadillac, least we forget the Yankee store.

I remember going to Drive in movies In Cadillac owned by a school shop teacher in Evart. In the winter some times we would get to see a movie at the learic in Cadillac.

I loved the Johnsons HardWear right next door to the movie theater. I still have fond memories of the squeeky floor, smell of leather harness, the rows of used guns with a few new ones. Buying nails by the pound from wood barrels. guy there once said to my dad He bet I was a lot of help. Dad told the cleark I wasn't worth a tinkers dam but he would not take a million for me.

Scottys Resturand was right next door, the mill was behind just a block down the hill.
I was born and raised in Cadillac. We had a Dairy Farm in Selma Twsp. (near Pleasant Lake)

You meant "The Lyric". The old Drive-In theater was out by Manton.

Our mother worked at a restraunt made from a TugBoat called "The WaterFront"
She also worked for, (along with many other Mothers) "Criss-Craft" boat factory, now known as "Four Winns".

"Co-Op" feed and grain supply, was in the middle of town and the last time I was there the old wooden building is still standing.

Quote:
I remember going to The A&W for a special treat of a root beer float. and of course
Quote:
the Dairy Queen for the soft ice cream with the twist on top.
Dipped in chocolate.

Ben Franklin 5 -10.

We got our groceries at "Olsens" in Cadillac.

When the country school we attended (Selma 5) closed , we started going to Lincoln and then Mckinley, up by the water tower. Later we attended Kenwood, after it was built.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:05 AM

362 posts, read 619,743 times
When I was a Kid the drive in theater was south of town near the corner of 115 and 131. there used to be a Cavaler gas station and resturant on one corner. On another corner was the Blue Gimham Resturant and some cabins for rent.

The grain mill was just down the hill toward the lake from Johnsons hardwear, scottys resturant and the theater.

We used to cruise from the A&W on the north end of town to the top of the hill on the south end of town to a drive in resturant called the Hillcrest. the state police post was at the bottom of the hill on the north west coner.

One of My girl friends uncles was a cook at the waterfront. His name was Tom retired from the air force.

I had friends from school who got jobs at Brooks and Perkins. Had some white collar guys from there in a couple of my colleage classes trying to become engineers.

Had a electronic whiz friend that worked for Kesor.
One of my friends dad worked at the St. Johns table factory.

Al

Old 04-01-2011, 08:31 AM

You have a good memory.
I've only been back 3 times since we left in the late 60's. I remember everything you mentioned, but some locations and geographic's are scrambled.
In my mind I picture a small Dairy Queen with a walk-up window, out by the High School( near Cass school), but I may be wrong.
I was born in a house on the corner of Lake st. and Pine st. across from Kraft, which was next to the train station. Down further was the Park with the steam engine.
Pine st was paved with red brick.
The house I was born in is now a Dentist office.
I've got some questions, but I'll DM you.

Sorry folks!. We weren't trying to hi-jack the thread. But as you know, reminiscing can run wild.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 04-01-2011 at 08:50 AM..

Old 04-01-2011, 02:42 PM

28 posts, read 33,369 times
I remember 5 cent postage stamps, penny for a postcard, when dimes and quarters were made of silver, and when my first car did not even have a radio! I also remember gas at less than a quarter a gallon.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsdaddy View Post
I remember 5 cent postage stamps, penny for a postcard, when dimes and quarters were made of silver, and when my first car did not even have a radio! I also remember gas at less than a quarter a gallon.
I remember1-2 cent stamps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or