U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:25 PM

20 posts, read 117,949 times

Advertisements

I second that! I wish that the state would have made this more clear for the public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 03:06 PM

6,048 posts, read 7,364,920 times
You can legally put anything on the front bumper of a vehicle registered in Michigan. Some people put European license plates on the front bumper.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:23 PM

1,903 posts, read 5,024,612 times
I did that once before. I looked in the Motor Vehicle Code and found nothing mentioning it. Front plates haven't been used in this state (except for the State Police who still have them) since the black plates which have been gone since '83 or '84.

P.S. Asking the SOS questions like this won't get you anywhere. I tried once to find out where a specific letter sequence was being issued (I'm a collector and get new plates every year on both my cars) and she had no idea at all and seemed surprised anyone would even think of such a thing. (I found the letter sequence on my own.)

Old 03-31-2011, 06:37 AM

6,191 posts, read 15,846,584 times
OK, I made calls.

Michigan State Police said that front license plates from any state, including Michigan, are allowed. (At first they said "call the SoS"; I said I'd heard conflicting information so I finally got through to someone in traffic services.)
Secretary of State said the same thing.

One of my vehicles came from another state, I still drive it, always with the other state license plate in front. Have never been hassled about this, when stopped once for speeding (oops) I asked the police officer if it was OK and he said sure. SoS told me the same thing when I first got my MI plates.

I'm going with, it's legal.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:47 PM

238 posts, read 652,797 times
I stopped a car and confiscated the front plate. Someone had found a sheriff's plate alongside the road (so they said) and put it on their front bumper. I even got to talk to his dad as dad was incensed that the plate was confiscated. He demanded to talk to the shift commander and I was happy to talk with him and explain why junior should have turned the plate in as being 'found' rather than putting it on his front bumper. Other than that, I'm not aware of any restriction of what goes on the front bumper....

Old 04-03-2011, 06:33 AM

809 posts, read 1,737,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
You can put anything that you want on your front bumper.
Why I've even had a few deer up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or