U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:44 PM

6,235 posts, read 8,636,581 times

Advertisements

Apple orchards in September
Fall colors and Football in October
Leelanau in Summer (including Sleeping Bear Dunes)
Sunsets on Lake Michigan (Grand Haven especially)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 07:47 AM

105 posts, read 128,553 times
Just about any place in Michigan in the winter except Newberry. So many beautiful trails to ride and nice people at stops along the way. My very favorite is from Rapid River to Houghton during winter carnival. Be aware you have to make reservations way in advance at Houghton at that time as every parent seems to want to see the ice crafts their studen worked on.

Castle Rock although trouist trap is a nice view of the straits and the bridge. To bad it is closed in the winter.

Big Springs near Indian Lake west of Manistque is beautiful any time of the year but I think better in the winter when all the city slickers are home with their bratty heathen kids.

Escanaba On labor day, old tractors, old cars and steamed sweet corn.

Must not forget the auto tour at Seney, so much to see only have to put up with the dust of those who think of the tour as a off road race and complain they never saw a thing at the resturant down the road from there. Of course we see the normal geese and loons, but also the egales, osprey, hawks of several types and a bear or two at different times along with cubs. Funny I can not ever remember doing that 7 miles in less than 10 hours and we didn't even stop to fish.

Pictured Rocks any time of the year but tough in the winter. The Grand Sable dunes are nice I like digging in the sand in Mid July and finding snow.

There is the tourist traps, Frankenmuth is for eaters and shoppers, Bay City has a nice river front, Grayling appels to the canoers, Hartwick pines appels to the nostligc type.

Last edited by Trail twister; 07-06-2011 at 08:00 AM..

Old 07-06-2011, 08:55 AM

2,406 posts, read 5,536,903 times
Keep going with all you favorite places in MI

Old 07-06-2011, 11:09 AM

413 posts, read 836,625 times
Kitch-iti-kipi Spring at Palms Book State Park.

Pictured Rocks.

Belle Isle Aquarium *sniff*sniff*sadface*

Bowen's Mill in Yankee Springs, Barry Co.

Soo Locks.

Steam Railroad Institute in Owosso.

MSU's Campus/gardens.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:21 PM

275 posts, read 394,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail twister View Post
The Grand Sable dunes are nice I like digging in the sand in Mid July and finding snow.
You piqued my interest with that one. Tell me more, please.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:54 PM

4,121 posts, read 7,953,329 times
The Sylvania Wilderness and Recreation Area in the U.P which includes Lake Gogebic... the largest lake in Michigan. I believe the lakes in that are are part of one of the worlds largest chain of lakes, surrounded by huge pines, rivers and waterfalls. Oh and its close to Watersmeet where you can see the Paulding Lights.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:04 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,957,544 times
Meijer gardens in Grand Rapids. kind of surprising how complete and large of a collection they have in their Sculpture park.

USS Silversides in Muskegon. A WWII submarine you can tour.

Little Sable Point Lighthouse, close to Silver Lake and Mears.

While on lighthouses, you might as well drive a bit further North and climb to the top of the Big Sable Point Lighthouse in the Ludington State Park.

Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness Area

Of course Sleeping Bear Dunes.

Mackinac Island

The SOO Locks

Pictured Rocks

Glass Bottom boat shipwreck tour out of Munising

All of the Keweenaw Peninsula

Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary.

Turnip Rock in Port Austin area

Just about anyplace you can drop your finger in the State has something that is interesting and worth seeing. Sometimes they are hidden gems that locals know about and few others. Sometimes they are huge items and are known nationally (Mackinaw Bridge comes to mind for the latter).

Old 07-06-2011, 04:25 PM

Some things I have only read about...but want to explore very badly, are the Falls River and Sturgeon River near L'Anse (I just love that name).. in the U.P. The Penroses, authors of the highly recommended Guide to 199 Michigan Waterfalls, write, "If we had to recommend just one river to visit in all of Michigan, this would be it (by the way..great book!)
The Sturgeon river is a beautiful, rocky river with a 250' deep canyon formed by the river. I remember seeing the Sturgeon River last year on our way home from The Porkies, and I vividly remember how amazing it looked....just the little bit I saw from the road. Michigan has many rivers and waterfalls that I would consider "must-sees"

Last edited by michmoldman; 07-06-2011 at 04:33 PM..

Old 07-06-2011, 05:26 PM

6,423 posts, read 11,579,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Some things I have only read about...but want to explore very badly, are the Falls River and Sturgeon River near L'Anse (I just love that name).. in the U.P. The Penroses, authors of the highly recommended Guide to 199 Michigan Waterfalls, write, "If we had to recommend just one river to visit in all of Michigan, this would be it (by the way..great book!)
The Sturgeon river is a beautiful, rocky river with a 250' deep canyon formed by the river. I remember seeing the Sturgeon River last year on our way home from The Porkies, and I vividly remember how amazing it looked....just the little bit I saw from the road. Michigan has many rivers and waterfalls that I would consider "must-sees"
You're right, the river is just wonderful. I stop there every time I'm passing through.
A note... If you travel due north from L'Anse up the east side of Keweenaw Bay, drive until it T's and turn left. This will take you to the mouth of the Huron River, and just off shore are the Huron Islands. Wonderful beach for camping, swimming, you name it.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
You're right, the river is just wonderful. I stop there every time I'm passing through.
A note... If you travel due north from L'Anse up the east side of Keweenaw Bay, drive until it T's and turn left. This will take you to the mouth of the Huron River, and just off shore are the Huron Islands. Wonderful beach for camping, swimming, you name it.
Cool. I really want to see that area, I've never been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or