U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 09:10 AM

481 posts, read 855,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Not sure about briniging the dog or dogs. It would be fun to have them along, but they are big (150 and 170 and the smaller one may be 200 by then). That would require a lot of extra food, leashes, poo bags. . . .

Did you have touble having your dog along? Did you end up wishing that you had not brought the dog?
Whoa! You might want to get them their own canoe...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 04:49 PM

750 posts, read 2,546,357 times
Well the dog wasnt ours so....still, he was fun and a pain at the same time. Imagine the tightly packed canoe, sleeping in tent, trying to keep as clean and dry as you are able and throw a wet dog into the mix....maybe for day trips..for longer ones, think I will leave my dog home.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:31 PM

7,180 posts, read 7,973,703 times
If you want wilderness then try the two hearted river. It is way north of Newberry, up near the lake and it is about as far out as you will get in Michigan. I believe there is a place to rent the canoes at teh mouth of the river, and they will drive you upstream so you can canoe back to the rental site.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:34 PM

10,019 posts, read 10,942,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
If you want wilderness then try the two hearted river. It is way north of Newberry, up near the lake and it is about as far out as you will get in Michigan. I believe there is a place to rent the canoes at teh mouth of the river, and they will drive you upstream so you can canoe back to the rental site.
I have wanted to go there since I was a teen and first read Hemmingway's stories of "Nick Adams" and the Big two hearted river.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:28 AM

8,174 posts, read 12,142,076 times
A 3 or 4 day trip is going to take you outside most liveries river maintenance. So you have to be doubly careful about which river you pick and the conditions when you go. Liveries usually do at least some minimum clearing of down trees. Once you get beyond their span you will have to expect "strainers", i.e. down trees that have caught other downed branches etc. They are very very dangerous and can pin people and canoes causing drowning. A wide river like the AuSable can be gives you room to manuever which is nice. Some of the rivers suggested here could be more problematic. You will also need to know where all the dams are and be prepared to portage around them.
Unless you and all the family members you are thinking of taking have some experience you might want to try a 2 day, 1 night just to get your 'river legs'. Not tryjng to tell you what to do, just a suggestion.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:52 AM

362 posts, read 620,535 times
Sturgeon River Cheboygan County Michigan- canoe - kayak - tube - rental - video - Michigan Interactive ™

Al

Old 04-28-2011, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,073 times
I am trying to find a river map of the Muskegon with portage locations and travel times. Does anyone have any ideas? I tried all the links posted here, and none of the liveries have that info either.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:14 PM

362 posts, read 620,535 times
maps

Muskegon River System - Quest Outdoors, Ltd. - Locations

Muskegon River

Reserch some of these links.

Al

Old 04-28-2011, 08:09 PM

4,121 posts, read 7,959,620 times
I have a great river running through my garden... down my yard...out onto the dirt road, then across the dirt road. Its cut a beautiful small canyon through it....bring your camera!

Old 04-29-2011, 06:50 AM

27,776 posts, read 65,700,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I have a great river running through my garden... down my yard...out onto the dirt road, then across the dirt road. Its cut a beautiful small canyon through it....bring your camera!

We do nto need to go anywhere. There is a nice little river running through our basement. It starts in the corner of my daughter's bedroom, runs along the wall to the closte door, runs around the door jamb accross the closet and then intot he sump pit. Her bedroom is kinfd of a wilderness. There are undoubtedly some green things growing in there. Now if I can only figure out how to get the canoe down the stairs.. . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan