Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 06:28 PM

60 posts, read 139,699 times

Advertisements

Anyone been? Which lakes do you prefer for fishing, swimming, etc. Any information is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 09:03 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,032,881 times
Believe it or not, I worked there as a summer ranger in 2001.

Sylvania is amazing. The fishing is world class and very well managed. The Ottawa National forest put more monitoring and managing than anywhere else in that national forest.

Fishing is great for kids as well as hard-core fishermen. From what I remember Crooked Lake is a bit weedier and a bit more river-like and I remember bluegill, yellow perch, bass, and northern pike. Beginner fishermen would like Crooked lake. It is easier to fish.

There are restrictions on lures. I recall that only artificial lures are allowed. And bass I believe are catch and release. They don't stock the lakes. They are fully wild I believe. And they want to manage it well.

Clark Lake is a deeper, clearer lake that actually has lake trout.

Whitefish lake is secluded and beautiful. This is what I remember. Clark lake is the only lake that has a real beach.

You will love it no matter what.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:51 PM

790 posts, read 2,311,013 times
I went there on a canoeing/camping excursion once. All I remember is that it was beautiful, quiet, and not crowded.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:01 PM

533 posts, read 1,194,415 times
My husband and I went a few years ago during a trip to the UP. While I can't remember the names of the lakes we went to (sorry), I found the overall area stunning. We both LOVED it. Go!

Old 04-29-2010, 11:20 AM

60 posts, read 139,699 times
We are staying in a camp on High Lake which is one portage from Crooked? Any info on that lake?

Old 04-29-2010, 01:02 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,874,868 times
Gogebic County has more lakes than anyother county in Michigan, ( 315) also more waterfalls.( 32 ) Most people think of Lake Gogebic as it is the largest lake in the UP , and I recomend seeing and fishing it first. Most of the small lakes border Wisconsin, some do not even have names there are so many. Yes, the area reminds me of northern Wi., and rightly so. A lot of folks from Mi. never venture that far west in the UP, it is a long ride. Enjoy your vacation, bring plenty of bug spray and nets as these smaller bodies of water can get quite buggy.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,191 times
Default Loon Lake

My dad and I have been to Sylvania twice. Both times we camped at Loon Lake and portaged to a different lake each day. It's an amazing place. You can go days without seeing anyone.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:18 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,888,155 times
My husband was also a ranger there (in 2005). However, he is busy with current rangering duties (have barely seen him all week!), but I will see if I can nail him down when I see him next. When are you going?

Clark Lake has some nice spots for swimming, and I believe we fished Katherine Lake about three years ago and had good sucess. Years upon years ago, we backpacked to Whitefish Lake--it very quiet and secluded.

What is your main source of transportation: backpack or canoe? If you canoe, make sure you plan for at least one day hike--the woods are beautiful there and the hemlocks amazing!

Old 05-02-2010, 04:22 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,888,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Believe it or not, I worked there as a summer ranger in 2001.
Did you ever get back to see the beautiful new entrance station they built? I believe my husband worked there in it's inaugural year. I feel pity for anyone who had to work in the old A-Frame!

Well now I miss the area again!

Old 05-02-2010, 04:45 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,861,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesabi View Post
Anyone been? Which lakes do you prefer for fishing, swimming, etc. Any information is welcome.
Never been there, but I looked at some pictures online and WOW! We will definitely be going on a camping trip to that area. It looks absolutely amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: