U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:14 AM

24,839 posts, read 33,342,340 times

Advertisements

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dn...p_324708_7.pdf

I know we were discussing wild swine.

I happened upon this.

Thought others might enjoy the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 04:27 PM

760 posts, read 2,216,043 times
Interesting, I had no idea they were in the U.P. let alone my area of the U.P.
Thanks for posting.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:14 PM

5,114 posts, read 4,822,512 times
Ted Nugent is trying to convince Rick Snyder that the hunting rules should be loosened up in Michigan. Rocker Ted Nugent tells Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder: Lift rules on hunting | Detroit Free Press | freep.com (http://www.freep.com/article/20110401/NEWS06/104010369/Rocker-Ted-Nugent-tells-Michigan-Gov-Rick-Snyder-Lift-rules-hunting?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s - broken link)

Mr. Nugent owns a private hunting reserve in Jackson that, among other activities, hosts wild boar hunts and claims that the state exagerates the threat of escaped wild pigs.

Does Uncle Ted have a point or are feral hogs that escape from private preserves a possible menace to Michigan?

Old 04-02-2011, 07:05 AM

8,171 posts, read 12,136,428 times
Problem is sightings and killings are probably not showing the growth that is happening behind the scenes, supporting people like Ted who want to downplay the threat. Then some critical breeding mass is reached and boom! They seem everywhere and everyone wants to blame DNR and govt for not doing more, conveniently forgetting that they poo poo'd the threat earlier. And who's going to pay for the damage once the hogs out of the bag? (Not Ted)

The consequences are just too damn high to be wrong. Agriculture is arguably the most important business Michigan has. Feral hogs really hurt agriculture. And once they are out there off the hunt farms (gross) they are super hard to control. Getting loose is a given.

Why is it so hard for human beings to learn lessons and take experience right in front of your face?
"Oh we can grow these exotic fish on fish farms, they won't get loose". "Oh we can breed these snakes for pets, they won't be a problem" I mean the list goes on and on.
How stupid are we?

The south is overrun and its over. No amount of hunting is ever going to make a dent down there.
I'm not sure how you can underplay the threat.
The wild boars imported into Michigan hunting camps are Siberian, northern Russian hairy mammouth beasts and quite adapted to the cold.

Texas LA et al. are already overrun with feral hogs doing millions of dollars of damage a year. Why can't Ted stay down there where its already moot instead of oh no - we must ruin Michigan too.
Is Ted paying for this? Is Ted a farmer? Ted is 1 guy whose opinion is no more correct or important than mine. What's this bs about going direct to the governor? Did he give the gov money for his campaign? Does the gov owe Ted? Is this how we get screwed? Why not let DNR do its job? F*** Ted.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:38 AM

809 posts, read 1,739,312 times
You can probably double the "killings" from what that map says. Many have been shot and not reported to the DNR.

I've seen them come into my treestand baitpile ('07), probably a 200lb'er or better. He would have been one of the "killed" on that map but I couldnt even see my sights. Made for an interesting walk out of the woods that night.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:08 PM

62 posts, read 101,897 times
the wolves will control boar numbers in the UP.....as for the lower peninsula....hunt hunt hunt.........

Old 05-10-2011, 03:36 PM

809 posts, read 1,739,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maersk View Post
the wolves will control boar numbers in the UP.....as for the lower peninsula....hunt hunt hunt.........
Yeah, we need more wolves in the Lower. And thanx for giving the DNRE the idea.

Maybe they have already transplanted more wolves in the Lower for just this reason.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:35 PM

1,490 posts, read 3,260,294 times
Feral hogs are a nuisance and should be controlled and/or eradicated. Feed the hungry.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:15 PM

first the hog numbers will explode but eventually they will stablize and an environmental equilibrium will be reached........nature will fit the hogs into whatever niche it sees fit.........its slowly happening with the pythons in south florida and has already happened with feral hogs in most of the south decades, if not hundreds of years ago (feral swine have roamed the south since at least desoto's time)

Old 05-10-2011, 10:20 PM

as the hog population in michigan grows, the big three (wolves, black bears and cougars) will serve as natural controls to a point. a hunting season/wild pork industry is inevitable and should be the biggest factor in keeping numbers in check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan