U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2011, 11:42 PM

528 posts, read 785,160 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if there's anything we can learn to help Michigan become number 1...

why-north-dakota-may-be-best-state-in-country-to-live-in: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 06:19 AM

8,174 posts, read 12,142,076 times
The people up there are different for sure. Have some relatives up there. Lived in Omaha. The people were my favorite part. But while the prairie has its own beauty for sure and I liked it a lot, not sure I would want to live it 24/7.

As for the economic #1. I think its just a combination of factors in the here and now, not anything that a totally different state with a totally economy can replicate.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
The people up there are different for sure. Have some relatives up there. Lived in Omaha. The people were my favorite part. But while the prairie has its own beauty for sure and I liked it a lot, not sure I would want to live it 24/7.

As for the economic #1. I think its just a combination of factors in the here and now, not anything that a totally different state with a totally economy can replicate.
I'm not interested in Michigan becoming North Dakota, but I'm wondering what helped them get from point A to point B, and if some of that might in fact be applicable here. I tend to make comparisons to Oregon. Oregon had the same struggles as Michigan for decades. Granted much of the recovery was due to incidental economic factors affecting Portland, but not all of it.

I'm a big believer if you want to accomplish something, find someone who has already done it. Fiscal security isn't entirely the luck of the draw. I don't believe there is no hope for Michigan.... I know things can improve, but you need a plan before you can get to work and make the change happen.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:39 PM

72 posts, read 192,594 times
ND's huge economic boom has come from the oil fields. Oil fields lead to people needing places to live so houses, apartments etc went up dozens at a time. More shopping needed to help the increase of population. More people coming into ND has lead to more jobs all the way around. One of the oil field areas cannot get housing for it's employees within a 2 hour drive. Campers were brought in to give temporary housing to people until more homes can be built. There is nothing ND has done that MI can do as far as the oil fields go.

MI is improving, it will just take time for all to see. It cannot change over night, but it is happening.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:07 PM

939 posts, read 2,415,948 times
Getting rid of the arseholes in Lansing would be a good first step

Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
Just wondering if there's anything we can learn to help Michigan become number 1...

why-north-dakota-may-be-best-state-in-country-to-live-in: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Old 04-05-2011, 05:23 PM

5,845 posts, read 11,150,486 times
I mean no offense to those from North Dakota, but it is easier to have a low unemployment and a stable housing market when no one wants to live there.

North Dakota is easily the most isolated state, with the most severe climate. People die when they go out in the blizzards. Then after the 30 below weather, then they severe floods along the low-lying red river valley. Its total state population is about the same as it was 100 years ago.

Its easy to have high growth when population goes from 2 to 4. I'm sorry for being a smart ass.

Michigan is totally different. It is more of a urban-industrial state. Yes, by land area its mostly rural and farms, but population percentage is urban.

A better state to look at, at least in terms of economic diversification might be Illinois.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:18 PM

541 posts, read 890,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Getting rid of the arseholes in Lansing would be a good first step
That would be the best start right there

Old 04-08-2011, 08:02 PM

See, now this is the kind of education I need. Thanks y'all.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:40 AM

1,426 posts, read 2,659,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I mean no offense to those from North Dakota, but it is easier to have a low unemployment and a stable housing market when no one wants to live there.
Bingo. Canada is no different. Many living in Toronto and Vancouver fled the 'prairies.'

BTW, to those who want to get rid of those Lansing pol's ... we did, in the last election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan