U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 04:39 PM

4,486 posts, read 7,749,016 times

Advertisements

There are some nice neighborhoods in that area, especially the farther north and east you go. There are some nice older homes just west of Dixie Hwy. (Monroe St.) and north of the river behind St. Mary's Church and school and the IHM (Immaculate Heart of Mary, a huge compound for Roman Catholic nuns that faces the river on E. Elm St.).

If I were going to move to Monroe, I would stay west of Telegraph Rd. N. Custer (the continuation of Elm St. as you go west) is a very nice street that faces the river and there is a nice park with a walking path next to the river. There are some subdivions off of N. Custer, Frenchman's Bend being one of them. Bates Lane is a side street off of N. Custer that has homes with larger yards and has a more rural feel. This is my favorite part of Monroe. There are some other nice areas such as a couple of subdivisions off of S. Dixie (Monroe St.) south of Dunbar Rd. and some areas north of Monroe around Nadeau Rd. Bolles Harbor is also nice, and sits next to Lake Erie.

A good, competent realtor will be able to steer you to what you are looking for. Monroe is a very old, historic town that has great bones, a nice little downtown, and a lot of very nice, friendly people. There is, unfortunately, a drug problem in Monroe that needs to be brought under control, but overall it is a charming city with some nice assets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 05:13 PM

17 posts, read 34,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
There are some nice neighborhoods in that area, especially the farther north and east you go. There are some nice older homes just west of Dixie Hwy. (Monroe St.) and north of the river behind St. Mary's Church and school and the IHM (Immaculate Heart of Mary, a huge compound for Roman Catholic nuns that faces the river on E. Elm St.).

If I were going to move to Monroe, I would stay west of Telegraph Rd. N. Custer (the continuation of Elm St. as you go west) is a very nice street that faces the river and there is a nice park with a walking path next to the river. There are some subdivions off of N. Custer, Frenchman's Bend being one of them. Bates Lane is a side street off of N. Custer that has homes with larger yards and has a more rural feel. This is my favorite part of Monroe. There are some other nice areas such as a couple of subdivisions off of S. Dixie (Monroe St.) south of Dunbar Rd. and some areas north of Monroe around Nadeau Rd. Bolles Harbor is also nice, and sits next to Lake Erie.

A good, competent realtor will be able to steer you to what you are looking for. Monroe is a very old, historic town that has great bones, a nice little downtown, and a lot of very nice, friendly people. There is, unfortunately, a drug problem in Monroe that needs to be brought under control, but overall it is a charming city with some nice assets.
The neighborhoods off of North Custer do look nice online, but a "city lot" is about all the amount of yard I care to manage at this point in my life. The streets just north of the river that intersect E. Elm was the area I was most interested in, so I am encouraged by your response. Thank you

Old 12-29-2012, 09:42 AM

I know several people who live in the area west of Monroe St. and north of Elm St. on streets like Godfroy, Vine, and Saint Mary's, and they really like it there. There is a park on the river across from St. Mary's Church, St. Mary's Park, where there are a lot of concerts and other events in the summer and it is walking distance from this neighborhood.

I am not going to say that crime doesn't happen in this area ever, because unfortunately, crime happens everywhere, but it does seem like the river forms kind of a natural barrier between this area and less desirable parts of town.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:44 PM

615 posts, read 1,167,130 times
To see the cars, clothing, and conditions of the homes, one might think that there would be less crime north of the Raisin, but the crime blotter maps in the Monroe Evening News would imply that the crime is nearly equal north and south, east and west

Old 12-30-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
To see the cars, clothing, and conditions of the homes, one might think that there would be less crime north of the Raisin, but the crime blotter maps in the Monroe Evening News would imply that the crime is nearly equal north and south, east and west
Well, as I said, crime is everywhere, unfortunately. I do know people, though, that live in the area that the PP is interested in (the neighborhood roughly behind SMCC High School and west of Monroe St.) and none of them has ever had an incident as of yet.

It's not that Monroe is filled with hardened, professional criminals so much as that Monroe has a serious heroin problem. I worked at the hospital system in Monroe until fairly recently, so I got to see it firsthand. If someone could get the heroin out of Monroe, I think crime would drop precipitously. People who need a fix do dumb things.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 PM

615 posts, read 1,167,130 times
Quote:
<snip>

It's not that Monroe is filled with hardened, professional criminals so much as that Monroe has a serious heroin problem. I worked at the hospital system in Monroe until fairly recently, so I got to see it firsthand. If someone could get the heroin out of Monroe, I think crime would drop precipitously. People who need a fix do dumb things.
You could replace "Monroe" in that paragraph with "America", and it would still be accurate.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
You could replace "Monroe" in that paragraph with "America", and it would still be accurate.
Not necessarily. Of course drugs are everywhere, but for a town its size, Monroe is known to have a more serious heroin problem than many. The Monroe Evening News has covered it extensively, including printing a tribute page in recent months in which people can pay tribute to loved ones who lost their lives to heroin, and the busy Methadone clinic on S. Telegraph is not something that one typically finds in a small town of around 20,000 people. If you compare it to towns in the same region that are similar in size such as Adrian, MI or Defiance, OH, there is a marked difference. NOT that those places don't have a drug issue, but for whatever reason, heroin is a big problem in Monroe. I have heard it attributed to being on the I-75 corridor between Detroit and Toledo, which does make sense.

When I worked in the healthcare system in Monroe in recent years, I saw evidence of the problem almost every time that I worked. I won't go into detail, because I don't want to get too specific since Monroe is a pretty small town, but I am definitely not fabricating this, and if you don't believe me then ask anyone who works in the healthcare system in Monroe. I have no reason to smear Monroe, I actually like the city and think that it has a lot of wonderful people and cool amenities. But yes, Monroe does have a larger than normal heroin problem for a city its size. I now work at two hospitals in nicer suburbs of Toledo, and we rarely see the kind of stuff here that I saw at Mercy Memorial on a regular basis. I'm sorry, because I don't like it either, but it is the truth.

Dear future Monroe County sheriff: We have a drug problem here | MonroeNews.com

'I don't want any more of my friends dying | MonroeNews.com

I am not in any way implying that a person cannot live in Monroe and be happy and productive and have a good quality of life, and I know many people who do just that. But there is a definite subculture there of aimless, generally younger people, who have turned to heroin in increasing numbers. Our society is sick in a lot of ways, and this is one way that it is manifested in Monroe, Michigan, unfortunately.

Last edited by canudigit; 01-03-2013 at 01:40 AM..

Old 02-20-2017, 10:18 AM

16 posts, read 14,933 times
Default agree N. Custer Drive

Quote:

This post is older, but we have recently purchased a home on N. Custer Drive not far from Munson park. There are homes that the back of the property is adjacent to the River Raisin. North of the river. As you continue West of Telegraph there are nicer homes and several nice subdivisions. Lots of families in the area, people walking dogs, biking. You can also get some property with a few acres. I was told by neighbors this was the best part of Monroe.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverclark67 View Post
This post is older, but we have recently purchased a home on N. Custer Drive not far from Munson park. There are homes that the back of the property is adjacent to the River Raisin. North of the river. As you continue West of Telegraph there are nicer homes and several nice subdivisions. Lots of families in the area, people walking dogs, biking. You can also get some property with a few acres. I was told by neighbors this was the best part of Monroe.
I agree, I love that area. If I moved to Monroe this is where I would be looking. S. Custer (M-50) between Herr Rd. and S. Raisinville Rd. is nice too, but it's such a busy road.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:23 PM

16 posts, read 14,933 times
I was a bit nervous about relocating to Monroe based on the heroin problem​. I was unaware of it until recently and it made me nervous. We are moving from the downriver area as my husband now works at Fermi. We bought a house with a couple of acres. It seems like very nice area. We still have college age sons at home and the reports of aimless youth and drugs were disconcerting. My sons will be attending Monroe County Community College. I'm hoping and praying this will be a good move. We liked the smaller town feel but still has amenities. The house and land is our dream home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or