U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 06:04 AM

883 posts, read 972,394 times

Advertisements

The Zoo is actually in Royal Oak and if you come out for that RO has some nightlife and shopping to do if you want. Greenfield Village is in Dearborn which has some awesome lebanese restaurants. Oh how I miss having my pick of cheap Arabic grocery stores within walking distance! Oh and if you go to the village the Henry Ford Museum is right there too, it's pretty awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 08:25 PM

7,156 posts, read 7,954,010 times
When I met my wife she had never been to Detroit. She grew up where we live now, and that is about 100 miles from downtown Detroit. There are still people around here I meet that have never been there, as there are people who have never been to the UP either. When I lived in the UP, there were people there I met who had never been below the bridge. Ive always liked to go places, living like that would drive me nuts.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:37 PM

13,387 posts, read 17,175,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
When I met my wife she had never been to Detroit. She grew up where we live now, and that is about 100 miles from downtown Detroit. There are still people around here I meet that have never been there, as there are people who have never been to the UP either. When I lived in the UP, there were people there I met who had never been below the bridge. Ive always liked to go places, living like that would drive me nuts.
Flying from airport to airport isn't too adventurous either. When I was in my teens and 20.s I made it a point to see this country. So I traveled all over the USA in every means of transportation you can think of. From Mi,'s UP & LP to Tx, to New Orleans, to Montana, to Co, to Ga, Fl, To So Ca, to OK. By hitch hicking, car, freight train, by traveling circus, 18 wheeler, and several other ways. That's an adventure I'll never forget.

But what I enjoyed most over all, was the 5 days drive I took from Ohio up through Mich, to Charlevoix and over the bridge. making stops on the way in both sides of Mi. Then back to Ohio.
I already knew Mi, was beautiful, But in those 5 days I got to see how much MORE Beautiful she REALLY was, on both sides, and in many more areas that I'd never been before.
My favorite dreams are old reminiscence of Michigan.

IMO, I give Mi, a 10 over Colorado....even without the mountains.........and Colorado is a beautiful state.(I rode a freight train(open boxcar) through the Rockies)

Last edited by mkfarnam; 04-11-2011 at 09:54 PM..

Old 04-13-2011, 06:23 PM

3,119 posts, read 7,303,719 times
For folks who have never been to Detroit, there are a number of You Tube videos. Some even provide tours.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:26 PM

160 posts, read 219,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post
I advise people to come to Detroit. So content while riding my bicycle on Bell Isle or the riverwalk. The Dequindre cut is also a lovely place to view art while bicycling/running/jogging. I'm going to do a lot of mid-town this summer.
I ran an 8k on Belle Isle last year that wandered through the foresty interior of the island - it was a remarkably pretty setting to run. Belle Isle very unique.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:28 PM

160 posts, read 219,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy carrie View Post
The Zoo is actually in Royal Oak and if you come out for that RO has some nightlife and shopping to do if you want. Greenfield Village is in Dearborn which has some awesome lebanese restaurants. Oh how I miss having my pick of cheap Arabic grocery stores within walking distance! Oh and if you go to the village the Henry Ford Museum is right there too, it's pretty awesome.
Former employee of The Henry Ford right here. To say it's awesome is an understatement.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:54 AM

2,337 posts, read 4,914,202 times
In 25 years in SE Michigan, I have been to Detroit about a dozen times. There are many other areas of the state that offer cultural and scenic areas to visit. For me, Detroit is not one of them. Others have different interests and parts of the city are being rehabilitated.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:32 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,854,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkytofu10 View Post
I ran an 8k on Belle Isle last year that wandered through the foresty interior of the island - it was a remarkably pretty setting to run. Belle Isle very unique.
Belle Isle is beautiful...I have walked all over it and wish it could come back to its former glory!

Old 04-18-2011, 03:28 AM

883 posts, read 972,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkytofu10 View Post
Former employee of The Henry Ford right here. To say it's awesome is an understatement.
Oh so true! I loved going there, both as a kid and as an adult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or