U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 07:38 AM

24,839 posts, read 33,290,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicfirst View Post
There is water at around 25 feet or so but they said they should be in good position by 40 feet for good pocket and pressure. There will be a screen. 3,500 if we do some of the work ourselves. meaning they will com in and do the well with the submersiable pump and then it would be up to us to run the pipe to where our old pump hooks in, about 15ft, and tie into the line. They would also have the pressure tank under the house. Which we need to dig a trench to for a 220electrical line.
He is estimating 4,500 if all goes well and they do the tie in and 5,000 if they have to dig further.
They do have a good reputation around here. It is a small town and they have done work on some others places we know.
I am going to get one more estimate I think, just to see where they come in. Unfortunately it looks like several weeks before we will get a new well casue we have to pull a permit at the health dept and have to wait for road restrictions to be done with.
BTW, wells are not cased all the way to the bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 09:17 AM

8 posts, read 29,855 times
thanks for the link. Hopefully they will lift soon. We got a ton of rain last night so hoping it will push the frost out of the ground! ya ya, wishful thinking since it is supposed to snow by friday. Oh well, have to wait for the health dept to do there thing anyway.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
thanks for the link. Hopefully they will lift soon. We got a ton of rain last night so hoping it will push the frost out of the ground! ya ya, wishful thinking since it is supposed to snow by friday. Oh well, have to wait for the health dept to do there thing anyway.
They can write the permit with the frost laws on.

Make sure the driller will be drilling a 5" PVC well.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:56 AM

Finally had our well put in 2 weeks agon. I was not so happy with the guys who did it. They showed up for a couple hours the first day, and then left without telling us what they were doing or when they would be back. They didnt show up til the next day to finish drilling. They hit water at 31 ft and then went to 48 ft. 12gpm, and the water is back up the pipe 17ft. They left and came back the next day for 2 hours to put in a submersiable and then left and came back the next day to finish putting in the holding tank and hooking things up. Final cost was around $5,750. They were unprofessional and even padded the time that they were here on the third day. They were here a half hour and charged 2 hours. they are over 800 more than the original estimate. I dont think i will recommend them for any other jobs. They put other jobs ahead of us even though they still had water but there back up pump was failing. We were without water for a month and half and they wanted to keep puttin us off. My husband was very unhappy with them. They were not even going to come back the third day until my husband "talked" to them and told them they better show up and finish the job before they started on someone elses job who had water. I was disappointed with them. Plus, the water is still dirty, almost like there is rust in it, we never had rust in our water. Would it be because they used old pipe that was already rusted? Shouldnt my water be clear like before? we had no problems or staining when we had our point down.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Finally had our well put in 2 weeks agon. I was not so happy with the guys who did it. They showed up for a couple hours the first day, and then left without telling us what they were doing or when they would be back. They didnt show up til the next day to finish drilling. They hit water at 31 ft and then went to 48 ft. 12gpm, and the water is back up the pipe 17ft. They left and came back the next day for 2 hours to put in a submersiable and then left and came back the next day to finish putting in the holding tank and hooking things up. Final cost was around $5,750. They were unprofessional and even padded the time that they were here on the third day. They were here a half hour and charged 2 hours. they are over 800 more than the original estimate. I dont think i will recommend them for any other jobs. They put other jobs ahead of us even though they still had water but there back up pump was failing. We were without water for a month and half and they wanted to keep puttin us off. My husband was very unhappy with them. They were not even going to come back the third day until my husband "talked" to them and told them they better show up and finish the job before they started on someone elses job who had water. I was disappointed with them. Plus, the water is still dirty, almost like there is rust in it, we never had rust in our water. Would it be because they used old pipe that was already rusted? Shouldnt my water be clear like before? we had no problems or staining when we had our point down.
Call your health department...now!!!!

They have to drill CLEAN potable water.

Is this a steel well???

I only do PVC but, the codes are the same.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Call your health department...now!!!!

They have to drill CLEAN potable water.

Is this a steel well???

I only do PVC but, the codes are the same.

They used steel pipe. my husband said the pipe looked new when they put it down. the water seems to be ok as far as drinking goes. It just seems like it is leaving a reddish tinge behind. In the toilets. We never had that before. I have to call the health dept to come do a final check of the well and they are taking samples of the water then. I asked the guy if they had put gravel around the screen and he said they didnt have to because they used a screen. I thought they were still supposed to put gravel aroudn it? or am I getting that wrong? His well paperwork said the final resting spot is sand. It went through sand, sand/gravel, clay, and then sand. Please tell me I didnt get taken for a ride!!!

Old 05-13-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
They used steel pipe. my husband said the pipe looked new when they put it down. the water seems to be ok as far as drinking goes. It just seems like it is leaving a reddish tinge behind. In the toilets. We never had that before. I have to call the health dept to come do a final check of the well and they are taking samples of the water then. I asked the guy if they had put gravel around the screen and he said they didnt have to because they used a screen. I thought they were still supposed to put gravel aroudn it? or am I getting that wrong? His well paperwork said the final resting spot is sand. It went through sand, sand/gravel, clay, and then sand. Please tell me I didnt get taken for a ride!!!
We always gravel pack around a screen.

Did the estimate or, bill state gravel pack??

To be honset I just do not like steel wells.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:21 AM

It seems like everytime the water sits then it has the red tinge to it. If I do dishes, run the laundry etc. then it will run clear. But to just get a glass of water you can see it is off color and like I said u can really see it in the toilets.
On the estimate it says stainless steel screen installed and developed.
From what I am reading under the screen portion of the water and well pump record:
Screen: diameter 4", Stainless Steel, slot .008, length 4.5' from 45' to 48'
Installation: Telescoped
Fittings: Neoprene Packer
Well Grouted: 0 to 45ft, Driven dry grout
One thing I did notice is that in the estimate it said we would have a 42 gal (or equivilant) tank. Then on the record for the pressure tank it says it has a total tank capacity of 20 gal. Is this a smaller tank than what the estimate was for? and if so shouldnt it be cheaper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan