Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:11 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,373,572 times

Advertisements

Michigan: who knew?

Michigan & Detroit — DID YOU KNOW THIS?

From 1910 to 1920, Hamtramck Michigan grew from 3,589 to 45,615 residents, leading the nation in growth for that period.

During the lumber boom era, the row of saloons that lined Water Street in Bay City was known as 'Hell's Half Mile'.

In 1936, Escanaba , Michigan harvested and processed 100,000 sq. ft. of birds eye maple to be used in the English Luxury Liner, the Queen Mary.

When the territory of Michigan was created on Jan. 11, 1805, Detroit was chosen as its capital.

Bagley's Corner was the original name of Bloomfield Hills.

The world's only marble lighthouse is located on Belle Isle. ( Livingston Lighthouse).

Hog's Hollow was the original name of Utica , Michigan .

There are over 11,500 lakes in Michigan .

The home offices of Life Savers Candy, Beech-Nut Gum, and Squirt soft drinks are in Holland, Michigan.

In 1870, Detroit became the nation's first telephone customers to have phone numbers assigned to them.

Charles A. Lindbergh was born in Detroit on Feb. 4, 1902.

The Stars and Stripes first flew over Michigan soil on July 11, 1796.

In Sept. 1908, William C. Durant organized several independent automobile plants into what was to become General Motors.

Michigan began charging an annual license fee of 50 cents in 1915 for Autos.

Michigan's first police woman began walking the beat in Detroit in 1893.

In 1942, the Davison Freeway in Detroit was completed and became the world's first urban freeway.

The first soft drink, (Vernor's Ginger Ale) was introduced by a Detroit Pharmacist, James A. Vernor, in 1866. Note: There were several 'elixirs' on the market at that time, including what would later be called Coca Cola. These contained alcohol, whereas Vernor's didn't. Thus the name 'soft' drink.

The intersection of Woodward Avenue and Grand Avenue in Detroit proudly displayed the world's first traffic light in 1915, leaders of 19 countries and 26 States came to check it out in the first six months.

In 1688, Father Jacques Marquette founded the first permanent settlement in what would later become Michigan.

The world's first shopping mall (Northland Mall), opened in the Detroit suburb of Southfieldin 1954. Newspapers from overseas as well as this country wrote that it would never catch on......Duh?

The world's first painted highway center lines were featured in Trenton, Michigan in 1911. They were used in other towns and that was how Center Line, Michigan got its name.

Michigan ranks Number 1 nationally in the production of dog sleds.

The nation's largest indoor/outdoor museum complex is Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village.

Opened in 1904, the nation's oldest freshwater aquarium (was) the Belle Isle Aquarium.

The onion is Michigan's largest fresh-market vegetable crop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 01:31 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,872,626 times
Michigan has 102 waterfalls which is 6th or 7th in the country. By comparison, Alaska only has about 44
There are about 35,000 islands in the Great Lakes...with about 420 of them belonging to Michigan

Old 03-30-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Michigan has 102 waterfalls which is 6th or 7th in the country. By comparison, Alaska only has about 44
Quote:
There are about 35,000 islands in the Great Lakes...with about 420 of them belonging to Michigan
Now that's interesting..

Old 03-30-2011, 03:45 PM
YAZ

7,700 posts, read 14,031,258 times
Detroit, the largest port in Michigan, is older than the United States. Almost a hundred years older.....

About 30 people died building the Mackinac Bridge.

Michigan has the most freshwater coastline in the country. Duh....

General George Custer was the pride of Monroe, MI.

Chances are, the sugar that you buy in the grocery stores in MI was made entirely in Michigan. Can you say sugar beets?

I am amazed by the number of fantastic top the charts musicians that were born in Michigan.

Pretty big salt mine under Motown. Might be the biggest in the world.

Pound for pound, MI has the biggest aquifier in the world. Yep. Right underneath y'all.....

Just an opinion:

The best damn sweet corn on earth comes from Michigan.

Last edited by YAZ; 03-30-2011 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: add

Old 03-30-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Detroit, the largest port in Michigan, is older than the United States. Almost a hundred years older.....

Michigan has the most freshwater coastline in the country. Duh....

General George Custer was the pride of Monroe, MI.

Chances are, the sugar that you buy in the grocery stores in MI was made entirely in Michigan. Can you say sugar beets?

I am amazed by the number of fantastic top the charts musicians that were born in Michigan.

Pretty big salt mine under Motown. Might be the biggest in the world.

Pound for pound, MI has the biggest aquifier in the world. Yep. Right underneath y'all.....

Just an opinion:

Quote:
The best damn sweet corn on earth comes from Michigan
Oh man,I couldn't agree with you more.
Since leaving Mi, It's never really dawned on me that I had no desire for
corn from anywhere else.
I love the sweet corn we grew in Mi.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:07 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,746,775 times
Have to open with a correction of the original post. Father Marquette established the first European settlement in 1668, not 1688. Which is Sault Ste. Marie of course.

The largest producer of Calcium Chloride in the World is in Ludington, MI (Formerly DOW chemical, but now owned by Occidental Chemical or OxyChem for short.)

The largest fleet of Carferries in the World once called Ludington Harbor home. It is the home to the last coal fired passenger carferry on the Great Lakes still operating, "The Badger" is also the only one of it's kind in the World. Tidbit for you trivia buffs... the USS Badger was named for the mascot of the University of Wisconsin, and her Sister Ship the USS Spartan was named for the mascot of Michigan State University; both entered service in 1953.

Don't forget that MI also is the top producer of Tart Cherries in the Country. In 2010, even with a loss of almost 1/2 the crop, Michigan produced 140 MILLION tons of tart cherries; the next closest state for tart cherry production was Utah with 24 million pounds. The total US (http://usda.mannlib.cornell.edu/usda/current/CherProd/CherProd-06-17-2010.txt - broken link) Tart cherry crop for 2010 was 195 million pounds.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:03 AM

271 posts, read 662,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Do you have a source? Everything I've seen and read says that 5 people died building the bridge. I'm curious about the others.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
Do you have a source? Everything I've seen and read says that 5 people died building the bridge. I'm curious about the others.
That information shouldn't be too hard to find on the internet.

Around 8 years ago, I watched a 2 hr, biography on how the Mackinac Bridge was built. Very impressive. I always liked to watch the Biography channel because everything they showed was in detail.
The bridge was open to traffic 16 days before my 3rd birthday.

History
History of the Bridge - Mackinac Bridge Authority

facts and figures
Facts & Figures - Mackinac Bridge Authority

Last edited by mkfarnam; 03-31-2011 at 10:38 AM..

Old 03-31-2011, 11:04 AM

271 posts, read 662,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
That information shouldn't be too hard to find on the internet.

Around 8 years ago, I watched a 2 hr, biography on how the Mackinac Bridge was built. Very impressive. I always liked to watch the Biography channel because everything they showed was in detail.
The bridge was open to traffic 16 days before my 3rd birthday.

History
History of the Bridge - Mackinac Bridge Authority

facts and figures
Facts & Figures - Mackinac Bridge Authority

I've seen several shows on the bridge construction too and have read various things about it. Pretty cool. I've always loved the bridge.

But even going by a page in the above website, it says 5 people died building the bridge.

Bridge Workers - Mackinac Bridge Authority

I just wonder if maybe that's what they want the public to know, and maybe there were a lot more that YAZ knows about from another source.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:12 PM

541 posts, read 982,235 times
The city of Novi got its name from a stagecoach that used to stop there,it was called number 6 or the shorter version no.vi,hence novi...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan