U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 08:06 PM

12,575 posts, read 7,626,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
How are my shoes fitting? A wee bit tight?

Playing the socio-economic race card does not JUSTIFY murder...thou shall not kill--except when you are depressed, unemployed, and on the edge..and black???

I do know that cappin' someone for a pair of Air Jordans is wrong...and He is wrong for promoting cheap shoes made with child labor for less than $1.00 and selling for more than $100....

I am pretty sure when I lost EVERYTHING I didn't go out shooting my neighbors or their dogs....

I have (if it be known) walked in many shoes--so before I am judged-maybe we can look at the real issue-

MURDER can never be JUSTIFIED by playin any card

And any one who thinks killin people ain"t STUPID??
I am not justifying anything. What I am letting you know is that there is a REASON for everything. There is a REASON that the murder rate is higher in the black community. There is a reason that the murder rate is higher in the poor black communities than in the middle and upper class black communiites, likely the same reason that the murder rate is higher in poor white communiities than middle and upper-class white communiites.

Humans have been killing each other of a long long time via wars and conflicts. You likely would be very poor today if not for the actions of military killing and conquering peoples to take possession of their land and labor to convert to wealth so that people like you can "prosper". If killing were so stupid.....why did it make so many people rich?

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 04-15-2011 at 08:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 10:08 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,409,005 times
Well it was on the news that a couple some place in Clair county were held up at knife and gunpoint by three men who broke into their home and demanded money. This couple woke to the sight of guns in their face so what do we all do in this type of situation? You would have to take a gun to bed with you and hope you could pull it out from under the pillow before the intruder stuck his gun in your face. It's awful and horrific the situation we all live under. There is no safe place anywhere.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:34 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,874,396 times
This NYT article on Flint aka "Murdertown USA" may provide some insight:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/ma...1&ref=michigan

Old 04-17-2011, 09:02 PM

639 posts, read 1,147,173 times
Man thats sad. The federal government should do something about this. The police don't work on weekends or holidays and they have no jails? It sounds like a free for all, I'm very surprised the murder rate isn't even higher.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:50 PM

336 posts, read 825,049 times
To be fair: the FPD has suspects in custody for 14 of the homicides, and the guy they arrested last week is suspected in multiple shootings. So, hopefully they've rounded them all up, up to this point anyway.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:50 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,978,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Basically, you have feral children raising feral children. And because it is generational, it will continue to get worse.
That is an excellent way to put it.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Man thats sad. The federal government should do something about this. The police don't work on weekends or holidays and they have no jails? It sounds like a free for all, I'm very surprised the murder rate isn't even higher.
The police do work 24/7 albeit in drastically reduced numbers, but the police headquarters building is closed. Note the NYT reporter did his ride-along on a Saturday night. There may only have been six Flint cops on duty, but the county sheriff's dept does augment the force as well.

The city jail has been closed since 2008 for lack of funds....people are taken to the county jail across the street instead but there isn't enough space to lodge a lot of prisoners so for many lesser offenses people are given an "appearance ticket" to show up in court.

A more recent story in the local news pointed out that the city paid out almost 2 million in overtime pay last year, including a hefty sum for city golf course employees and drain inspectors. Yet over half the city cops and many firefighters have been laid off over the last two years...boggles the mind considering the level of violent crime and arson in the city.

It's a vicious cycle....people like me leave the city; many abandon homes. People from better-heeled parts of the country would be absolutely gobsmacked by a drive through Flint. Empty lots, burned homes, condemned homes, abandoned, trashed and vandalized homes, block after block of shuttered and closed businesses. So the tax base is dwindling fast. In a lot of parts of Flint, empty (or even occupied) homes are likely to be vandalized and stripped of anything of value...which makes it risky to be a landlord. Home values are so low and property crime so high that it's hard to get insurance that will actually pay for losses.

As Trish and others have pointed out - there are bright spots, there are businesses opening and doing well downtown, there is a lot of community activism. And LEOs are actually catching many of the perpetrators so kudos to them. Considering how demoralized the force must be, and what they have to work with, they deserve credit.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:09 AM

336 posts, read 825,049 times
They seriously need to sell the city golf courses. If they can.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:36 PM

849 posts, read 1,675,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
As Trish and others have pointed out - there are bright spots, there are businesses opening and doing well downtown, there is a lot of community activism.
one bright spot i'm thinking about as i eat my fattoush salad and hommus is BADAWEST Lebanese restaurant. having a food orgasm right now. if anyone is near the area GO THERE! off corunna road.....

Old 04-21-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
one bright spot i'm thinking about as i eat my fattoush salad and hommus is BADAWEST Lebanese restaurant. having a food orgasm right now. if anyone is near the area GO THERE! off corunna road.....

Badawast is very good! I am overdue for a visit there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan