U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 04:52 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,874,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
Wow has my thread detoured. I am jewish and white. .
Me too. I have "lost" (in a manner of speaking; I wasn't quite born then) grandparents and cousins in the Holocaust but like most people of Jewish descent I choose not to snivel, whine and play the blame game. Note that as a class, Jews do quite well. According to some, they control Hollywood and the entire news delivery system.

I agree that it's more to do with poverty, culture and class than the melatonin content of someone's skin.

I also will not buy into the racist, narcissistic, pity-party theory because I think more highly of humans as a species than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 07:21 PM

849 posts, read 1,675,703 times
indentured servant:

sorry that you are so angry. i can definitely understand the anger, for what blacks have gone through and continue to go through. but the 'victim' mindset is your biggest enemy. practice forgiveness and stop being the victim. you were wronged, now forgive and let it go because you are only hurting yourself.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:17 PM

12,580 posts, read 7,626,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
indentured servant:

sorry that you are so angry. i can definitely understand the anger, for what blacks have gone through and continue to go through. but the 'victim' mindset is your biggest enemy. practice forgiveness and stop being the victim. you were wronged, now forgive and let it go because you are only hurting yourself.
You have a keen grasp of whats not true. I one of the most laid back peope you will find. It really takes a lot to tick me of.....and I can honestly say that I have never been or made to be angry while posting on forums.

I don't have a victim mentality. What I have is the knowlege that actions causes reactions. In other words, I have a "cause and effect" mentality....which is a logical mentality.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:51 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,874,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You have a keen grasp of whats not true. I one of the most laid back peope you will find. It really takes a lot to tick me of.....and I can honestly say that I have never been or made to be angry while posting on forums.

I don't have a victim mentality. What I have is the knowlege that actions causes reactions. In other words, I have a "cause and effect" mentality....which is a logical mentality.
I suppose it's a matter of perception...to me (and clearly to others) your posts viewed in totality come across as from a very angry and victimised person, quite fixated on racial injustice. Even your screen name indicates this.

You are seeing "cause and effect" through a filter of black victimization/white oppression. You're seeing it through a racially-biased filter, seems to me...what you see as coldly logical, I see as very emotional. You couch your arguments with large words and seemingly-logical rationalisations....I am not alone in that I perceive this as a very personal and emotional viewpoint on your part.

Any of us could find a mantle of victimization to flaunt (and sometimes do); race, religion, gender, weight, height, class, education, whatever. I can;'t recall the exact saying...something to the effect of: you cannot control what happens to you but you can control your reactions. Research on people who survived the Holocaust and other atrocities bear this out - playing the victim is not a healthy away to live life, basically.

Have you read any of Henry Louis Gates latest writings (and a book) on slavery?

Henry Louis Gates, Jr. - History of American Civilization

Old 04-25-2011, 07:28 PM

8,004 posts, read 10,357,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I suppose it's a matter of perception...to me (and clearly to others) your posts viewed in totality come across as from a very angry and victimised person, quite fixated on racial injustice. Even your screen name indicates this.

You are seeing "cause and effect" through a filter of black victimization/white oppression. You're seeing it through a racially-biased filter, seems to me...what you see as coldly logical, I see as very emotional. You couch your arguments with large words and seemingly-logical rationalisations....I am not alone in that I perceive this as a very personal and emotional viewpoint on your part.

Any of us could find a mantle of victimization to flaunt (and sometimes do); race, religion, gender, weight, height, class, education, whatever. I can;'t recall the exact saying...something to the effect of: you cannot control what happens to you but you can control your reactions. Research on people who survived the Holocaust and other atrocities bear this out - playing the victim is not a healthy away to live life, basically.

I can't rep you again yet....but I completely agree!

Old 04-26-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post

Silly crazy me. I like to thank you for educating me on my flawed and self serving view of history. There never was places that had drinking fountains separated by race or enslavement by race. I made it all up in my biased mind that only sees what it wants to see..

Sorry. As much as you want me to be bitter and angry....I am not. I would be willing to bet that day to day..... white conservatives are far more bitter and angry than me....lol. so stop projecting...lol

I also love it when white folks trot out their "black guy that agrees with me." Or "black guy you should think like". I guess now I should counter by trotting out a link to a white guy who agrees with me. Nah....truth does not need a cosigner.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 04-26-2011 at 10:07 AM..

Old 04-26-2011, 01:18 PM

3,090 posts, read 2,914,870 times
You can live in the past and vent about seperate bathrooms and the such. I will live in the present and not use the ss as a crutch for my peoples problems. Stop living in the past. You have to remember the past but dont let it consume all your beliefs. Just because your people were enslaved doesnt mean its that way now. Where would my people be if we thought all blond blue eyed people ( how did hitler get to lead them) were nazis... You have to go off the person not the color of the skin.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 835 times
Default relocating

I live in Atlanta, thinking of possibly relocating to metro Detroit area. Are there any safer, cleaner areas to live in for section 8 residents?

Thank you for replys
faith1959

Old 04-26-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
You can live in the past and vent about seperate bathrooms and the such. I will live in the present and not use the ss as a crutch for my peoples problems. Stop living in the past. You have to remember the past but dont let it consume all your beliefs. Just because your people were enslaved doesnt mean its that way now. Where would my people be if we thought all blond blue eyed people ( how did hitler get to lead them) were nazis... You have to go off the person not the color of the skin.

You know, often times I talk about the state of the US economy and the explanation of why it is in the condition that it is in today. Do you know what dimension of time my thesis is formulated from? If you guessed the past then you would be correct. I usually start in the 1940’s, explaining how all the world’s major economies were destroyed after and because of WWII and how that artificially boosted global demand for US goods and financing, making the US the largest net exporter and creditor in world a few years post WWII. I then provide a timeline of the ramifications of European and Asia recovery and the bursting of the US artificial monopoly that resulted from the war. Then I talk about how Nixon took the nation off the gold standard, ushering in the era of fiat currency and setting the stage of artificial money creation, inflation, debt and the like. Then I go into opening up of Red China and their adoption of a market economy, the rise of India, the fall of the Soviet Union, NAFTA, Vietnam, The Federal Reserve lowering interest rates, the Dot Com bubble, the Invasion of Afghanistan, the Invasion of Iraq, the housing bubble, TARP……etc, leading up to TODAY.

However, not once, not once, not once…..I repeat, NOT ONCE have I ever presented my analysis of the state of the US economy, using the actions and reactions of events from the past……..did anyone tell me that I was living in the past or stuck in the past, angry, bitter, playing the victim or anything that you accuse me of when I USE THE PAST TO EXPLAIN THE CONDITIONS OF RACE TODAY!!! The truth is that the present cannot be explained accurately without the past……and most intelligent people know this. People who are averse to truth and evidence are the only ones averse to the use of the past to explain the present. Such people prefer POINT IN TIME analysis ONLY because they fear what the past exposes and to give a platform of credibility to their conjecture. If one simply takes a still photo of an event, it leaves a lot to be assumed about what led up to the moment in time. This “snap shop” strategy then allows them to fill in the blanks with their biased conjecture. Hence, when people come along with a video that captures what led up to the moment in time, they get very uncomfortable because it threatens the conjecture based story they have told to explain things.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:57 PM

3,090 posts, read 2,914,870 times
Now that is a post of yours I can agree with. It is different from your other posts in this thread. You do have to remember the past to make sure you do not let past mistakes repeat themselves. We as a people ( mankind) are creatures of habit and if we dont remember we will repeat it. But that doesnt mean we should believe people want to be racist. Your other posts in this thread tred towards the belief your people are owed or that white people as a whole want to be racist to blacks. That is not so. Most people are color blind. Crimes of the past have nothing to do with individual people and pushing victomization on anyone is doing people a dissearvice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan