U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 02:23 PM

3,090 posts, read 2,914,870 times

Advertisements

I moved from flint area a year ago. It was just brought to my attention that theres a big time crime spree going on. Sounds like gang type shootings. Would like to hear from those still there about the feelings about these crimes and if it is over or about to get worse? What is the event that started it off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 04:10 PM

12,571 posts, read 7,626,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
I moved from flint area a year ago. It was just brought to my attention that theres a big time crime spree going on. Sounds like gang type shootings. Would like to hear from those still there about the feelings about these crimes and if it is over or about to get worse? What is the event that started it off?
Violence begats violence. I don't live in Flint but growing up in the inner-city you quickly learn this. I have had relatives killed, which was followed by retaliation killings. So when you have had a large number of killings one year.....you will likely have more following as family or cliques retaliate. Also, when you have a lot of murders people are quicker to try and kill first if confrontation happens......in fear that the person will try to kill you.

Its sad but with unemployment high and hopes low and people on the edge and guns a plenty......

Old 04-12-2011, 04:20 PM

21,093 posts, read 24,812,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Violence begats violence. I don't live in Flint but growing up in the inner-city you quickly learn this. I have had relatives killed, which was followed by retaliation killings. So when you have had a large number of killings one year.....you will likely have more following as family or cliques retaliate. Also, when you have a lot of murders people are quicker to try and kill first if confrontation happens......in fear that the person will try to kill you.

Its sad but with unemployment high and hopes low and people on the edge and guns a plenty......

I know folks who are / were unemployed with low hopes and on the edge--folks who also have access to guns--they didn't go around shootin' others...

I tend to think its STUPIDITY mixed with the other parts that cause random shooting and a complete lack of respect for self and others...

Not that this even justifies or rationalizes the murders...

Old 04-12-2011, 05:57 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,874,396 times
It will get worse. At this point last year there was about six killings, this year as of today 20 or 21.

Ditto zthat...I know several people who have been beaten down by the lack of jobs: losing homes, jobs, losing almost everything, going from home ownership to ghetto renting. They are not shooting, killing or harming other people, nor are they stealing and ripping siding off of homes. Google "Flint Crime Map" - it's almost all in the northern quadrant of the city.

I moved from Flint's east side last year BTW, still have a home there. I lived there for over six years. I'm north of the city, in Mt Morris, now.

Drugs and alcohol are a HUGE issue. Along with drugs and incoherent families, you have a complete breakdown of even a semblance of family structure. Add to that: no money, no jobs, no safety net for children and parents as young as 12 and 13. They run wild with little parental supervision, no awareness that reading or teaching or discipline or self-control might be handy concepts when applied to children and developing minds, little or no discipline, and most cultural references are family members involved in violence and drugs use, and video games or TV shows. Basically, you have feral children raising feral children. And because it is generational, it will continue to get worse.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:33 PM

I was asking because i lived in grand blanc but worked in the neighorhoods of mt morris and a few yrs ago it was uneasy but most everyone was polite to you. I was in collections. I dont think based on what i am reading now that my old job would be safe.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:38 PM

849 posts, read 1,675,703 times
government paid for sterilizations.......bonus if you have not yet had children.....when is this going to happen already???

Old 04-12-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
government paid for sterilizations.......bonus if you have not yet had children.....when is this going to happen already???
Much rather they bring in biz to bring jobs to push family responsiblity and nucleur families. No father figures and no hope for a future is the problem.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:47 PM

7,179 posts, read 7,973,703 times
Flint is a sorry depressing case. It is a minature version of the mess down in the southeast corner of the state (Detroit). There is no real jobs there, no money and the people who live in the city are mostly impoverished. Most people in Genesse county with jobs and money have chosen to live in places like Grand Blanc or Fenton, or they have moved further out yet to places like rural Saginaw county or Shiawasse county to get away from the Flint area all together. When your industrial base and your tax base pick up and move away there is not much hope. The headlines of crime only seal the citys fate, as no one goes to a place that is only known for killings, robbery and drugs. Certainly no one wants to live in a place where these things are common. Its a negative feedback loop, business moves out, unemployment goes up, that causes crime to rise and poverty to rise. This in turn forces more business and jobs out, the tax base decreases, and even more crime takes hold. Its a vicious circle.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:47 AM

336 posts, read 825,049 times
Twenty one as of yesterday. I'm guessing it will get worse now that the weather is getting nice. As far as your collections job, my hubby had a client the other day come with a cast on his leg. Apparently the guy is a process server, went to serve someone who proceeded to shoot him in the leg. Process server got the last laugh though. He pulled out his and emptied the clip on the SOB.

We can only hope all the gang bangers shoot each other. Then our crime rate would drop dramatically.

Bottom line: Stay out of the north end and anywhere in between Dort Hwy and 475.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:36 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,874,396 times
Unfortunately there's plenty of baby gangbangers coming of age...remember the 14-year-old who shot and killed the elderly woman in a home invasion last year, or the 18-year-old recently in the news with several murders under his belt...it's a really sad thing. Granted the vast majority of murder victims in Flint were no angels and were involved in gangs and drugs and crime.

I don't spook easily, someone in the photography section of C-D started a "hood photos" thread. A few years ago I would have been way up for that, would have grabbed my camera and gone driving around taking photos....but nowadays I am more cautious. I have a neighbor who listens to the scanner a lot, and he tells me of so much stuff that never makes the news...no way am I going to be driving around the north or parts of the east side taking photos. Although I think it would be really a fun thing to do.

I predict there is going to be a continued uptick in citizens arming themselves and getting CCW permits, and I am one of them. In the last month two people shot would-be criminals in Flint, one killed when he tried to rob a small store, another man shot by a woman when he broke into her home at night. We're going to see more stories like this in the coming year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan