Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 10:22 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,263,201 times

Advertisements

I've always wondered what draws people to certain area's. Prior to the fall of the economy ( so don't put job at the top) if you were going to move where and why would you go there? Would it be another 4 season state? Heat? Ocean? East? West? South? Just curious. I have never lived anywhere else, not sure I ever will. But there is an adventurous side that would like to experience living somewhere else. But I don't get why or how people decide. I mean I'd think having been there before would have to be a huge reason. As little as I have traveled......well that limits my idea's lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 11:05 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,618,365 times
The only thing that makes me want to leave Michigan is the weather. I just don't tolerate all the cold and find winters intolerable. I'm not well traveled either, and I don't want to leave Michigan altogether. I think summers are a paradise here. I enjoy fall with all the colors. I don't ever think we have much of a spring. It snowed again today although nothing that is going to last, but this is not spring to me when it's constantly cold when May is just a few weeks away. I guess some place down south for the worst of the winter months is probably where I would go. I wish I were like the people who easily adapt to whatever the weather is, but I'm just not. It's getting worse the older I get, and I notice that seems to be fairly common for others as well.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:12 PM

760 posts, read 2,431,832 times
LOL!! You and I are opposites I've moved I think 55 times so far and I'm not even 40 yet. I've lived all over and travelled more.

If I was ever to leave the U.P. we would likely go back to the real mountains. Probably Montana/Idaho or Alaska.

Anyhow to me, the adventure of it all is what makes it fun. I've moved several places without having ever been there before. Just said "Hey, I think I'll try that place out for awhile to see what it's like. See ya!"
Now we have a bunch of young uns so I'm not nearly so free spirited with our moves..... but we still travel a lot.

The key is to not have much "Stuff". You do not own Stuff, it owns you.

Every time we do a major move (as in out of state) we get rid of all the big items. When we get to the new place we shop the auctions, yard sales, craigslist, and thrift stores. But we take our time and only buy what we like at a price we're willing to pay. For example, we are actually short two dressers in our house and we've been here after moving in September. We're using utility shelves until we find what we want, no big deal.
Perhaps we'll move again before we find something we like. Who knows....... and that's half the fun.

Our philosophy is that life is about Experiences and Making Memories.

So pack up your bags, spin around a couple times then throw a dart at a map, and just GO to wherever that dart landed

Old 04-16-2011, 11:18 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,618,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
LOL!! You and I are opposites I've moved I think 55 times so far and I'm not even 40 yet. I've lived all over and travelled more.

If I was ever to leave the U.P. we would likely go back to the real mountains. Probably Montana/Idaho or Alaska.

Anyhow to me, the adventure of it all is what makes it fun. I've moved several places without having ever been there before. Just said "Hey, I think I'll try that place out for awhile to see what it's like. See ya!"
Now we have a bunch of young uns so I'm not nearly so free spirited with our moves..... but we still travel a lot.

The key is to not have much "Stuff". You do not own Stuff, it owns you.

Every time we do a major move (as in out of state) we get rid of all the big items. When we get to the new place we shop the auctions, yard sales, craigslist, and thrift stores. But we take our time and only buy what we like at a price we're willing to pay. For example, we are actually short two dressers in our house and we've been here after moving in September. We're using utility shelves until we find what we want, no big deal.
Perhaps we'll move again before we find something we like. Who knows....... and that's half the fun.

Our philosophy is that life is about Experiences and Making Memories.

So pack up your bags, spin around a couple times then throw a dart at a map, and just GO to wherever that dart landed

I wish I were like you. I agree about not having much "stuff." I don't have much, but might I ask if you work out of your home? So many people are stuck in one place due to their job. It sounds like you set the rules so that's the best of all possibilities.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:21 PM

374 posts, read 755,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
The only thing that makes me want to leave Michigan is the weather. I just don't tolerate all the cold and find winters intolerable. I'm not well traveled either, and I don't want to leave Michigan altogether. I think summers are a paradise here. I enjoy fall with all the colors. I don't ever think we have much of a spring. It snowed again today although nothing that is going to last, but this is not spring to me when it's constantly cold when May is just a few weeks away. I guess some place down south for the worst of the winter months is probably where I would go. I wish I were like the people who easily adapt to whatever the weather is, but I'm just not. It's getting worse the older I get, and I notice that seems to be fairly common for others as well.

I'm with you on this one. I don't think I can take too many more winters like this last one..I would really like to move to a warmer climate. I still like a change of seasons, but I would rather have a much shorter and milder winter and a long summer. Summers here are nice, just not long enough.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:35 AM

192 posts, read 491,696 times
We just built our "retirement" home on Fripp Island in S Carolina. Our future plans are to spend summer and early fall in Michigan then head down to SC for winter and spring. For now, because we're still working, we just grab anytime we can to head down. We are only a few short years away from retirement, so at this point it doesn't make sense to do a career change. Today with it snowing and the wind blowing, it sure is hard to stick with the plan. By the way, temp will be in the high 70's today and sunny on Fripp.

We chose SC because of mild winters, wanted to be able to walk to the ocean (can't afford to live on the ocean), husband wanted a golf community (ours has 2 golf courses), and we loved the feel and look of the lowcountry.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:49 AM

362 posts, read 693,052 times
I have lived in Michigan all my life. From Clarkston to Highland to Holley and finally Evart in the early years. A few weeks in Kentucky, a few in Mosourri and a year in Veit Nam rounded out those early years.

The Job had me In Pontiac, Highland again then to the present place in the thumb.
As much as I love the winters in Michigan, the fall also I am tired of the oppresive summer heat and humidity.
I am also tired of the politics in this whole country where the rich rob the poor to give to the rich.

I had given thought to Moving to Supeior Montana a nice little town where I had a pleasant experince with the people living there while I was driving semi coast to coast. But the poltics there are simular to every other state in the union rich for the rich and no one really for the lesser heeled.

My friend who moved to Sk. Canada in 2003 has nothing but praise for the place. Great hunting and fishing year around people who have not painced at every elections to vote all rich people in because the ones for the lesser heeled will take away your guns.
So If I ever find some one that will buy me out I am moving. I have several other countrys I would like to visit some before settleing on one.
My friend in Canada sure paints a rosy picture of there,They even inport workers from other 3 world countrys to work the fast food resturants there as every one else is inb the oil fields.

Al

Old 04-17-2011, 09:22 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,263,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
I have lived in Michigan all my life. From Clarkston to Highland to Holley and finally Evart in the early years. A few weeks in Kentucky, a few in Mosourri and a year in Veit Nam rounded out those early years.

The Job had me In Pontiac, Highland again then to the present place in the thumb.
As much as I love the winters in Michigan, the fall also I am tired of the oppresive summer heat and humidity.
I am also tired of the politics in this whole country where the rich rob the poor to give to the rich.

I had given thought to Moving to Supeior Montana a nice little town where I had a pleasant experince with the people living there while I was driving semi coast to coast. But the poltics there are simular to every other state in the union rich for the rich and no one really for the lesser heeled.

My friend who moved to Sk. Canada in 2003 has nothing but praise for the place. Great hunting and fishing year around people who have not painced at every elections to vote all rich people in because the ones for the lesser heeled will take away your guns.
So If I ever find some one that will buy me out I am moving. I have several other countrys I would like to visit some before settleing on one.
My friend in Canada sure paints a rosy picture of there,They even inport workers from other 3 world countrys to work the fast food resturants there as every one else is inb the oil fields.

Al
An ex GF of mine married a guy from Canada and lives there but said she has never liked it. My understanding is it's ok just don't get sick.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:48 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,862,649 times
If I ever had to leave, it would be to Oregon...Washington or even up near Vancouver Canada. I like warm weather, but not year round...and could never live south where everyone else wants to live also....I cant stand traffic and crowds.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:59 AM
YAZ

7,697 posts, read 14,012,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post

Al
A very good friend of mine hails from Prince Albert, Saskatchewan.

He lives in Florida now.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan