Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 03:32 AM

275 posts, read 441,743 times

Advertisements

Our house currently has an LP fired boiler, with heat provided by zoned baseboard throughout. The boiler is aging, and I have decided to replace it now...before we begin finishing the basement.

I've been looking at options, and a wood fired boiler seems like my best choice for several reasons. We have access to 35 acres, 10 are ours and 25 more belong to close family friends, with all mostly wooded. I have an available fuel supply that'd be FAR less expensive than LP or electric. The wood boiler and installation would cost far less than a replacement LP boiler or forced air solution, and with the ready supply of fuel I should be looking at a return on investment of roughly 3 years.

My second choice was to go with a geo thermal heat pump, but the cost would be twice that of the wood boiler and the return on investment pretty much matched the life expectancy, at 15 years.

What may serve as the clincher is that we have a wood boiler dealer less than 30 minutes from the house, and after stopping by on Saturday and talking with the owner we would definitely feel good about doing business with them.

As you can see, my mind is fairly made up. The model we're looking at does have LP backup. Like anything else, when the power goes out we would lose heat. We have a wood stove, and will be keeping it for that very reason.

Even though my mind is mostly made up, I would sincerely like to hear from folks who have, had, or have experience with a wood fired boiler. I would appreciate any advice, insight, or opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 07:42 AM

362 posts, read 695,822 times
I do not have a OWB, I have a wood burning add on furnace, I have been useing for 26 years.
I have learned You need your own source of wood, don't ever count on getting wood off others property. It can be laying on the ground going to rot but you cut split and haul out several pick uploads and they start seeing dollar signs. We see racks of wood for sale along the road for $45.00 and $50.00 dollars you could give us $40.00 a truck load, seen it heard it and got the T shirt.

There is also the investment in equpment, saws axes wedges mauls and sledges to name a few things. You also have to invest the time cutting splitting and hualing also be ready to feed that boiler at least twice a day. Burning wood is hard work but I feel a good time investment for me.

These guys know their stuff when it comes to wood and wood burners.
http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood...ing-equipment/

Al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan