Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 09:18 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times

Advertisements

NOAA weather says we could get 10"-18" Tuesday thru Thursday with 35mph winds. Could this be the big one? Detroit definately gonna get nailed...here in mid-MI. its a toss up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 12:07 PM

259 posts, read 823,189 times
I hope, this weather lately is keeping my plows in the shop.

Quote:
Issued by The National Weather Service
Grand Rapids, MI
11:35 am EST, Sun., Jan. 30, 2011

... WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING...

IMPACTS...

* TRAVEL ACROSS THE WATCH AREA MAY BE SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACTED BY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY.

* HEAVY SNOW COMBINED WITH GUSTY NORTH WINDS MAY REDUCE VISIBILITY TO NEAR ZERO AT TIMES DURING THE WATCH PERIOD.

* THE WINDS WILL ALSO CREATE DRIFTING SNOW WHICH WILL MAKE ROADS HARDER TO CLEAR.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER...

* HEAVY SNOW IS POSSIBLE ACROSS THE WATCH AREA WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR TOTALS IN EXCESS OF A FOOT BY WEDNESDAY EVENING. THE HIGHEST TOTALS WILL LIKELY BE FOUND TOWARD THE INTERSTATE 94 CORRIDOR.

* NORTHERLY WINDS WILL RAMP UP INTO THE 20 TO 30 MPH RANGE WITH HIGHER GUSTS TUESDAY NIGHT... CONTINUING INTO WEDNESDAY. CONSIDERABLE BLOWING SNOW IS EXPECTED WITH NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS POSSIBLE.

* WHITEOUT CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY.

* SIGNIFICANT ADJUSTMENTS IN TRACK AND INTENSITY ARE STILL VERY POSSIBLE WITH THIS SYSTEM. PLEASE CONTINUE TO MONITOR LATER FORECASTS.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:37 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,438 times
I hope so too. My kids have only gotten 1 snow day this whole season, and it's about to be February....time's runnin' out!

Old 01-30-2011, 03:16 PM

All latest models are showing us getting an 1" to 1-1/5" of liquid. that equals out to a TON of snow!
http://wxcaster.com/gis-gfs-snow-ove...?STATIONID=GRR

Last edited by michmoldman; 01-30-2011 at 04:07 PM..

Old 01-30-2011, 04:16 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,438 times
Some precipitation forecast map we just looked at has our house in the 20" (yes, TWENTY INCHES) of snow category. Blam!

Old 01-30-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
Some precipitation forecast map we just looked at has our house in the 20" (yes, TWENTY INCHES) of snow category. Blam!
They said we could make a run at our all time total for a storm of 22.7" here...wow!! Watching this storm develop is amazing. It has all the classic ingredients..Tons of gulf moisture and a cold high dropping over northern MI. This is shaping up to be huge...like record book huge! And All the models are now in agreeance that the bulk of the snow will be from Detroit to Sag/Bay city.
Strong winds will develope between the storm and the cold high pressure. This will cause whiteout conditions for almost a whole day. This will be a CLASSIC blizzard!

Old 01-30-2011, 05:47 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
I hope so. This winter has been pretty weak, except for some icy roads last week. I think we maybe have 5 or 6" on the ground, tops.

Here she comes!
Eastern U. S. - Funktop Color Infrared Loop (Flash) - Satellite Services Division/Office of Satellite Data Processing and Distribution
GRR Weather Story Display

That satellite image explains why we had such a clear, dry, sunny day today: that system coming is sucking all the moisture out of the atmosphere.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:40 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I hope so. This winter has been pretty weak, except for some icy roads last week. I think we maybe have 5 or 6" on the ground, tops.

Here she comes!
Eastern U. S. - Funktop Color Infrared Loop (Flash) - Satellite Services Division/Office of Satellite Data Processing and Distribution
GRR Weather Story Display

That satellite image explains why we had such a clear, dry, sunny day today: that system coming is sucking all the moisture out of the atmosphere.
Wow, what a difference 90 miles makes. We were overcast all day up in the Ludington area. Last I saw they were calling for 4 inches here . Who knows though, they'll change that amount 20 times between now and Tuesday morning. LOL

Old 01-30-2011, 08:11 PM

528 posts, read 885,832 times
Default Uh-oh

What are the chances of us losing power if we have a major storm?

Freezer is up and running, I can stock up some, but I only have an electric stove.

No generator, no fireplace, no wood stove. Ack.

I'd just sit back and watch if I had the generator.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:03 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
While I would love to see a major storm I kind of doubt this will be it. For one I live to far north, and most of the forecast ive seen call for it to focus more on the very southern part of the state. (I94/I96 corridors). Even if I lived another 50-100 miles south where they are really calling for it I would not get too excited. The storm that weather men talk up for days is usually the one that does not happen. As a general rule if they call for 2 feet, I expect 2 inches. If they call for 2 inches, then be prepared for the big one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan