Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 04:05 PM

2 posts, read 8,948 times

Advertisements

I just filled out my Michigan taxes, Is it my memory or did they add a box for you to put in on line and out of state purchases for sales tax?

Do you think any one puts in a nickle in this box? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 04:38 PM

136 posts, read 482,152 times
It's been there for quite some time.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:58 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Yeah, been there on the forms I have used for a long time. Never put anything in there myself though.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:48 AM

3 posts, read 4,864 times
Actually it's use tax, which is the other side of sales tax. Sales tax is imposed on the seller--Use tax is on the buyer.

Some people remit the tax on their purchases from outside the state (that have not already been taxed by the other state).

I recommend putting something on the line. Some day Treasury may subpoena shipping records to find what you've bought and bill you. If you have reported nothing, that could be seen as Failure to File, and they can go back 10 years. If you did "file" they can only go back 4.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:30 PM

485 posts, read 966,356 times
I don't think Treasury will ever have the manpower to start up a search of everyone's shipping records. That said, I buy a LOT of stuff off Amazon so I check the box and end up paying $50 on this every year. I simply try to be honest.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:25 AM

3 posts, read 4,864 times
Exclamation Use Tax

I can verify that the Discovery Division of Treasury has ballooned over the past 10 years. It is cheaper and more cost efficient to do "desk audits" than send an auditor to your door.

Software in use is designed to mine databases. It is already used to search information obtained from other government agencies. For example, how does the state know when you've filed a federal return from a Michigan address, yet you've filed no Michigan return?

It wouldn't be much of a jump to extend it to private company records. Especially if a vendor perfects the process (government agencies love to buy software from outside vendors, as many are politically connected).

So, what would it take? A subpoena to a well-known transportation company for details on all shipments--probably with a stated value of what?..$500 or more... for a period of 3 years. To be provided electronically. To sort and create letters of inquiry at this point would be simple.

And note that this governor is not cut from the "raise no taxes" cloth that many republicans embrace. Rather he appears to favour raising taxes on individuals in order to lower business taxes and balance the budget. This could be a nice little revenue enhancer for him.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:59 PM

89 posts, read 336,990 times
I don't buy a lot of stuff online, but when I do most of it comes USPS. With the postal services money problems I just can't picture them being able to to produce records of what was delivered by regular mail to everyone's house and what it was worth.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:24 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times
Retailers with "Brick & Mortar" outlets in Michigan are required to include Michigan Sales Tax on all your on-line orders. A lot of retailers fall into this category since catalog stores like Lands End are actually owned by K-Mart/Sears.

Amazon is a BIG exception! I "assumed" they charged taxes until I checked some old invoices after reading an article describing their pre-emptive exit from South Carolina following failure of a Sales Tax Abatement bill.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:29 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,346,453 times
Wow, I always paid it if I had anything to pay. How long it takes us to see the details sometimes huh?

Old 04-30-2011, 02:03 PM

75 posts, read 116,167 times
Quite honestly the biggest deterrence is all the leg work involved. Is someone going to keep all their receipts for online orders they purchased in a year organized just to pay a tax? Beyond some things are taxed while others are not. Seriously if the govt wanted a use tax they should sign an agreement with every other state requiring the use tax to be added at the point of sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan