Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 07:20 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,567,505 times

Advertisements

Which is your favorite and why?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 11:14 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,932,267 times
East side has Jefferson Ave around the lake and along the river to downtown.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:33 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,797,949 times
Ive never understood this, but my relatives who live in the Detroit area talk about this eastside /westside /downriver thing alot. I have not lived in the Detroit area since I was a very young child so I dont get it. Whenever I travel to southeast Mi the whole place seems to blend together. The only really noticeable thing I see is between the rich affluent areas to the north and west and the older suburbs. Of course Detroit proper is a world of its own. To those of us who live further out in the state we just dont see what all the hype is about east side detroit vs west. It all looks the same to us.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Ive never understood this, but my relatives who live in the Detroit area talk about this eastside /westside /downriver thing alot. I have not lived in the Detroit area since I was a very young child so I dont get it. Whenever I travel to southeast Mi the whole place seems to blend together. The only really noticeable thing I see is between the rich affluent areas to the north and west and the older suburbs. Of course Detroit proper is a world of its own. To those of us who live further out in the state we just dont see what all the hype is about east side detroit vs west. It all looks the same to us.
Woodward Ave was seen as a convenient and prominent dividing line. Downriver was...just downriver (West Fort to the city limits and beyond). This opinion from a far eastsider.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:27 PM

50 posts, read 140,943 times
when u say east side/west side r u referring to just detroit or the metro detroit area outside city limits?

Old 05-06-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ypsi the Clown View Post
when u say east side/west side r u referring to just detroit or the metro detroit area outside city limits?
Detroit proper. At one time E Grand Blvd was the city limits. John R is used as the East-West zero address divider (many cities have a "Division Street" for this).
Zero Mile Road is Michigan Ave/Ford road.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:41 PM

615 posts, read 1,391,060 times
Only from McNichols (AKA 6 Mile) northward is John R the East-West zero address divider. From the Detroit River to McNichols, it is Woodward Avenue.

I tire of hearing so many people argue about East versus West in this day and age.

These days, the two sides of town mirror each other. East has Gratiot, West has Grand River. West has Rouge Park, East has Belle Isle. West has Warrendale, East has Hamtramck (yes, that is another city surrounded by Detroit's East Side), West borders Dearborn Heights, East borders Warren, and so on.

Decades ago, the well-to-do looked down on the East side (it was more Catholic, and it's white residents more likely to root their family tree in Continental Europe, compared to the West Side, seen as being British and Protestant - though in reality there were East Side WASPs and West Side "ethnics", even back then). Moot today with Detroit's current demographics, and "whites" generally being considered as one people.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
Only from McNichols (AKA 6 Mile) northward is John R the East-West zero address divider. From the Detroit River to McNichols, it is Woodward Avenue.
I tire of hearing so many people argue about East versus West in this day and age.
McNichols eh? I may have known that a long time ago, but memory escapes me. I see by the map there is a short jog over from Woodward to John R which continues north into Hazel Park, which uses John R as E-W divider. So they were considering the suburbs.
I wonder if there is a historical significance to McNichols itself

Old 05-07-2011, 08:52 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
McNichols eh? I may have known that a long time ago, but memory escapes me. I see by the map there is a short jog over from Woodward to John R which continues north into Hazel Park, which uses John R as E-W divider. So they were considering the suburbs.
I wonder if there is a historical significance to McNichols itself
The McNichols/Conant area specifically was a prominent Italian enclave. That's where Buddy's and Loui's originated from. If you drive down that part of McNichols you can also see the ruin of an old Italian bakery. Then of course Shield's original location wasn't far from where. I thoguht it was originally at McNichols and Shields, but instead it was at Davison and Shields.

There's plenty of interesting ruins at least along east McNichols. If you go further east to McNichols and Mt. Elliot you'll see an abandoned Burger King and KFC. Then Marcus Hanburgers is near the same interestion. Then on the otherside of City Airport there's the ruin of an old Evergreen plant store on Strasburg and McNichols and an old 76 sign. Then of course in that same vicinity (McNichols and Hoover) there was that Alousins (sp?) ice cream plant and the old 7-eleven stores that were literally blocks from each other (the original 7-eleven at McNichols was so profitable that they opened an annex store just a few blocks down at McNichols and Teppert).

Finally I'm sure there's plenty of history near the McNichols and Gratiot interesection where the Romana Theatre stood

Old 05-07-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
There's plenty of interesting ruins at least along east McNichols. If you go further east to McNichols and Mt. Elliot you'll see an abandoned Burger King and KFC. Then Marcus Hanburgers is near the same interestion. Then on the otherside of City Airport there's the ruin of an old Evergreen plant store on Strasburg and McNichols and an old 76 sign. Then of course in that same vicinity (McNichols and Hoover) there was that Alousins (sp?) ice cream plant and the old 7-eleven stores that were literally blocks from each other (the original 7-eleven at McNichols was so profitable that they opened an annex store just a few blocks down at McNichols and Teppert).
Finally I'm sure there's plenty of history near the McNichols and Gratiot interesection where the Romana Theatre stood
Some of these names sound familiar.
Did Shield's have a place on E. Warren nr Outer Drive?
Alinosi's ice cream? If so I knew someone who worked there. I think they had branch "parlors".
Had friends living on Hamburg off Gratiot. Pretty sure there was a German enclave in the area (notice the street names).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan