U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-30-2011, 10:08 AM
 
2,331 posts, read 4,911,776 times
Reputation: 1796

Advertisements

Does anyone have an average cost for heating a 1-2 bedroom apartment in Traverse City in the winter? Is most of the heating natural gas?

Also, I would imagine that air conditioning isn't really necessary in that area in the summer. Is that accurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2011, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Northwestern Michigan
939 posts, read 2,413,882 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Does anyone have an average cost for heating a 1-2 bedroom apartment in Traverse City in the winter? Is most of the heating natural gas?

Also, I would imagine that air conditioning isn't really necessary in that area in the summer. Is that accurate?
Too many variables to give cost of heating a 1-2 BR aptmnt. Depends upon how well insulated the property, what the thermo is set at , etc.. When we bought our house here 7 years ago, our realtor said A/C was not necessary. We installed A/C the next year. It is not as hot, humid, or oppresive as the South & the East Coast but it can get into the 90's on occasion, though not for weeks at a time, ala Texas, Washington DC etc... If you value your sleep, A/C is a very worthwhile investment, especially if you're older or have health issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2011, 02:11 PM
 
2,331 posts, read 4,911,776 times
Reputation: 1796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Too many variables to give cost of heating a 1-2 BR aptmnt. Depends upon how well insulated the property, what the thermo is set at , etc.. When we bought our house here 7 years ago, our realtor said A/C was not necessary. We installed A/C the next year. It is not as hot, humid, or oppresive as the South & the East Coast but it can get into the 90's on occasion, though not for weeks at a time, ala Texas, Washington DC etc... If you value your sleep, A/C is a very worthwhile investment, especially if you're older or have health issues.
Good point about too many variables for a heating estimate. Some apartments include heat in the rent and some don't, which is why I was asking. If someone reading this thread lives in an apartment in northern MI and paid heat last winter, it would be good to hear from them. I keep my thermostat about 68 in the winter during the day and lower at night. When I look at rentals I wonder if it's possible to find out what previous tenants paid for heat, though I realize they may have kept the thermostat higher than I would, but it would provide an idea of costs.

Re: AC, I don't have health issues and it's nice to have the option for AC, but again, it would depend on the house or apartment itself, location, insulation, etc. A ceiling fan would be nice to use in summer in a generally cooler climate up north. Here in SE Michigan, it gets really hot for weeks on end, and AC is unfortunately a fact of life in the summer. Electric rates, like gasoline, are only going in one direction these days, up, not down. Thanks for your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2011, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Loving life in Gaylord!
4,121 posts, read 7,951,186 times
Reputation: 3895
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Good point about too many variables for a heating estimate. Some apartments include heat in the rent and some don't, which is why I was asking. If someone reading this thread lives in an apartment in northern MI and paid heat last winter, it would be good to hear from them. I keep my thermostat about 68 in the winter during the day and lower at night. When I look at rentals I wonder if it's possible to find out what previous tenants paid for heat, though I realize they may have kept the thermostat higher than I would, but it would provide an idea of costs.

Re: AC, I don't have health issues and it's nice to have the option for AC, but again, it would depend on the house or apartment itself, location, insulation, etc. A ceiling fan would be nice to use in summer in a generally cooler climate up north. Here in SE Michigan, it gets really hot for weeks on end, and AC is unfortunately a fact of life in the summer. Electric rates, like gasoline, are only going in one direction these days, up, not down. Thanks for your response.
Git on up there...your not getting any younger...Im right behind you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2011, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Northwestern Michigan
939 posts, read 2,413,882 times
Reputation: 410
We have a ceiling fan in our bedroom and an attic fan in the hallway. There are nights when they are not enough and we turn on the A/C. We just sleep better when the room is cool. I set it to 72F and it's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Good point about too many variables for a heating estimate. Some apartments include heat in the rent and some don't, which is why I was asking. If someone reading this thread lives in an apartment in northern MI and paid heat last winter, it would be good to hear from them. I keep my thermostat about 68 in the winter during the day and lower at night. When I look at rentals I wonder if it's possible to find out what previous tenants paid for heat, though I realize they may have kept the thermostat higher than I would, but it would provide an idea of costs.

Re: AC, I don't have health issues and it's nice to have the option for AC, but again, it would depend on the house or apartment itself, location, insulation, etc. A ceiling fan would be nice to use in summer in a generally cooler climate up north. Here in SE Michigan, it gets really hot for weeks on end, and AC is unfortunately a fact of life in the summer. Electric rates, like gasoline, are only going in one direction these days, up, not down. Thanks for your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2011, 04:31 PM
 
47,531 posts, read 62,157,706 times
Reputation: 22306
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Does anyone have an average cost for heating a 1-2 bedroom apartment in Traverse City in the winter? Is most of the heating natural gas?

Also, I would imagine that air conditioning isn't really necessary in that area in the summer. Is that accurate?
I can't imagine ever using an air conditioner in Traverse City. Certainly not for the one or two days it might get over 75 degrees.

I think the cost of heat would depend a lot on if you were in an upstairs apartment because heat rises, and how insulated it is, and of course if you have to put the thermostat over 65 or 68 you'd use a lot more heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2011, 01:02 PM
 
2,331 posts, read 4,911,776 times
Reputation: 1796
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Git on up there...your not getting any younger...Im right behind you!!
Good advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2011, 07:21 AM
 
Location: Northwestern Michigan
939 posts, read 2,413,882 times
Reputation: 410
We thought the same before we moved here. A few 90F+ days convinced us. The AVERAGE high temp for July is 81F


Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I can't imagine ever using an air conditioner in Traverse City. Certainly not for the one or two days it might get over 75 degrees.

I think the cost of heat would depend a lot on if you were in an upstairs apartment because heat rises, and how insulated it is, and of course if you have to put the thermostat over 65 or 68 you'd use a lot more heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top