U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 07:31 PM

1,903 posts, read 5,030,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2MT View Post
"alleyooper" sounds outstate to you? Does that thing north of the bridge still count or did they secede since I've moved away?
I seldom go any further north in Michigan than milemarker 84 on Interstate 75 (Great Lakes Crossing) unless I'm going to Bishop Airport (I can handle TC/Leelanau every few years, though). I'm not a big fan of the North Country. Besides, I've always heard of anything outside SE MI being referred to as "outstate."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 09:06 AM

27,776 posts, read 65,692,477 times
It is just Darwinism at its finest. We weed out the kids that are too stupid to look before crossing by running them down. That is why we have must smarter kids than anyone else. As a result all of todays kids are smarter than me, just ask them.

In Ann Arbor cars are not supposed to be on the road. The interfer with walking into the street while engrossed in deep and important thinking processes or talking on a cell phone. Pedestrians have the right of way becasue cars have no business being there in the first place.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:51 AM

362 posts, read 620,489 times
We should rem0ove all the warning stickers from machines andget rid of all those saftey switches too. Get rid of some of the dumb adults who some how made it thru childhood.

Al

Old 05-09-2011, 03:27 AM

766 posts, read 1,447,928 times
The cars parking in the fire lane is what bothers me. Why do people feel entitled to park in these places while waiting/dropping/picking up people? Your wife/husband/significant other can walk the extra 50-100 feet to a properly parked car. Instead of going after speeders, the police should just park an officer at any shopping place and ticket the hell out of these people. It's happening pretty much non-stop.

I'd honestly rather see them use the handicapped spaces than the fire lane.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:21 AM

They wouldn't need a car, just a golf cart like the meter maid uses down town. A car maybe if they went from strip mall to strip mall. Lots of fine money to fill the general fund daily.

Al

Old 05-09-2011, 10:10 AM

271 posts, read 586,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
The cars parking in the fire lane is what bothers me. Why do people feel entitled to park in these places while waiting/dropping/picking up people? Your wife/husband/significant other can walk the extra 50-100 feet to a properly parked car. Instead of going after speeders, the police should just park an officer at any shopping place and ticket the hell out of these people. It's happening pretty much non-stop.

I'd honestly rather see them use the handicapped spaces than the fire lane.
That bothers me too. It's pretty much an everyday thing at the Petoskey Walmart. It wouldn't bother me so much if they at least stayed in the fire lane, but they go a step further and park right on the sidewalk. Many times I've thought about keying the vehicle with the cart or running into the mirror while I'm trying to squeeze thru the area they've left remaining.

Problem is it's private property and I don't think the cops can do anything without the store owner initiating action. I think most store owners just refuse to enforce it for the sake of getting more business.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:29 AM

3,341 posts, read 6,086,475 times
in my opinion, the law should be such that any pedestrian anywhere anytime has the right of way, excepting interstates. you really can't have laws favoring the driver over the pedestrian, because 2000 pounds of steel wins every time. when you're controlling that steel you better be on the lookout all of the time for children, adults, and anyone. if that driver killed or disabled the child in the parking lot, she should get 10 years +

Old 05-09-2011, 07:08 PM

4,121 posts, read 7,959,064 times
Sorry...no one deserves to be hit square on by a car...but some punks deserve to be bruised severely! I have seen tons of kids see a car coming, but still just walk all slow and bad looking just to be cool...right in front of cars...and myself many times. I am not believing pedestrians should have the right of way any time...anywhere..sorry.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:55 PM

809 posts, read 1,739,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
I've wondered what the law really is. I thought you were supposed to stop for people in crosswalks until one day I nearly got mowed over by a Charlevoix city policeman while crossing at a crosswalk. He was quite a ways away when I started walking but never slowed down. I stop for people in the road, crosswalk or not, but if one day I get rearended for it I wonder whose fault it would be since maybe I shouldn't be stopping.
I know a Charlevoix police officer that was in your situation and a car hit him....in uniform, on duty during Venetian.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:02 AM

Parking lots are public areas. The states and federal laws say they have to have marked handicap spots to park in and fire lanes marked for emergency fire equipment. If you are tired of people parking in those areas that shouldn't be there call the copson your cell phone and give licence numbers and discriptions of said cars/trucks. they can and do hand out tickets if enough people complain.

Keyingthose cars/trucksputs you in the same spot as them, a law breaker.

Al
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or