U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 07:37 PM

3 posts, read 9,083 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow Michiganders!

We are considering moving to Alpena, mainly because of the opportunity to get more sq feet for the money and because of the research I have done it seems to fit what we are looking for.

My hope is that folks that are actually living in Alpena or have lived in Alpena can confirm some things for me.

Let me start by saying that I know Alpena is hurting economically but then again so is the whole state but in our case this is not a factor we have our own business that is not dependant on the area.

My concerns are as follows.

Is Alpena safe to raise our children?

We are very conservative,we would like to know how conservative is Alpena? This is very important for us we are moving because of this specific issue we want to live with like minded people.

We are looking for a town that people know each other that once we have earned the respect we become part of a community, is Alpena like this?

Is there an area or areas in Alpena that I should stay away when looking for a home?

How are the schools? We have an 8 year old and a newborn, so schools are really really important.

Are the teachers in the local school system left wing?

Let me say ahead of time I appreciate all the feedback that can be given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 10:43 PM

760 posts, read 2,216,477 times
Yes Alpena is a good place to live and raise kids, is considered conservative, and as long as you are open & friendly....... it's not hard to make friends there.

I can't answer the school questions because we homeschool.

I haven't been back there in a few years but I was browsing the real estate there a few days ago and was really surprised at home much some of the prices have come down!

If we ever move back down from the U.P. the Alpena area would be in our top three areas to consider moving too.

Good luck!

Old 05-03-2011, 06:33 AM

jeeg Thank you for taking the time to answer. Great news! Also we are considering homeschooling so I should take that out of the decision process. We considered UP but right now if you do not need to find employment locally you can really get more bang for the buck at Alpena.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:52 AM

220 posts, read 672,172 times
Born and raised in Alpena (but moved away 13 years ago). Alpena is a fairly conservative place, but not homogenous, which in my opinion is a good thing.

The schools are good and most teachers at least in the 1990s didn't really show any political bias in school and that is good.

There really is no bad area of Alpena, but from a local market perspective the south or west sides of town are generally the better for resale and have better levels of public infrastructure (ie complete sidewalk networks, main public beaches, etc.).

Generally, the City is a nice place, if rather sleepy, to live and raise a family.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:45 PM

8,174 posts, read 12,142,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSys View Post
Hello fellow Michiganders!

We are considering moving to Alpena, mainly because of the opportunity to get more sq feet for the money and because of the research I have done it seems to fit what we are looking for.

My hope is that folks that are actually living in Alpena or have lived in Alpena can confirm some things for me.

Let me start by saying that I know Alpena is hurting economically but then again so is the whole state but in our case this is not a factor we have our own business that is not dependant on the area.

My concerns are as follows.

Is Alpena safe to raise our children?

We are very conservative,we would like to know how conservative is Alpena? This is very important for us we are moving because of this specific issue we want to live with like minded people.

We are looking for a town that people know each other that once we have earned the respect we become part of a community, is Alpena like this?

Is there an area or areas in Alpena that I should stay away when looking for a home?

How are the schools? We have an 8 year old and a newborn, so schools are really really important.

Are the teachers in the local school system left wing?

Let me say ahead of time I appreciate all the feedback that can be given.
How about Wasilla Alaska? Or northern Idaho? Norm Olsen was recruiting up around Nikiski Alaska.
http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2009/0...ion-in-alaska/

Old 07-10-2011, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,882 times
Default newspaper in Alepna

Can i get any other daily newspaper in Alpena besides the Alpena News?

Old 08-18-2011, 03:14 PM

Gisela Venezuela is looking for more comrades for the Bolivarian Revolutionary Movement

Old 11-17-2011, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,356 times
detroit news and presqule
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan