U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 02:26 PM

760 posts, read 2,214,063 times

Advertisements

Okay, for some fishing (whether it be out on Lake Superior, one of our inland lakes or rivers) you can try Uncle Ducky's. They have several packages. Uncle Ducky Lake Superior Charter Fishing salmon and trout fishing charters and Other Vacation Packages. I am assuming that you are not bringing your gear? If you are, then just stop at any baitshop for advice on where to go.
They are working on bringing back the Marquette Mountain bike lift service this summer
Marquette Mountain
If you don't have your own (have no idea if you're flying or driving) then you can go to Downwind Sports and rent a bike for 24hrs $20 Mountain Bikes | Down Wind Sports

The folks at Downwind can help you with info on just about every outdoor adventure you can think of in the area. The ones I've spoken with, you can tell they actually live the life...... not just work at some sporting goods store for a job.
There are places to rent kayaks here to. You can even get a guided kayak trip along the Lake Superior coast line.

As for food...... as long as you avoid the chain restaurants and the Asian food places (have yet to find a good one up here), I have not had an unpleasant experience with any of the local eateries.
Every time my inlaws visit now they stay at the Landmark Inn. They make sure to eat breakfast at least once at Capers which is located within the building. They rave about Capers Classic Omelet (I'm not a morning person so I've never joined them for breakfast). We usually eat lunch at the Pub one day and then at Donckers (downtown) one day.
For pasties, we like Jean Kay's Jean Kays Pasties & Subs but deciding who has the best pasties could start a war up here in da U.P.

Here is the website I refer to often when looking for new things to explore/do here in the U.P. Hunts' Guide to Michigan's Upper Peninsula
It makes a good jumping off point anyways.

Please let us know what you think of the area once you get back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 02:42 PM

8,632 posts, read 14,224,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Its another 40-50 miles north. We went in an old mine in Calumet last year that was very cool!...I think it was Calumet anyways, but there are a lot up there. To make things more interesting, read about the mining days...and the founding of Marquette and the area. It makes visiting all that more fun!
The County Historical Complex is brand new. a wonderfull place for our local history. ( plan on 2 hours or more) Also the Maritine museum down by the water plant, its a 2 hour visit for sure.Mountian biking is a big summer sport, so are race bikes, and rallys. Marquette has more paths than any other city for its size in North America. Don't forget to drive to Big Bay, a quaint little town once owned by Henery Ford.
The Copper Country is another place and deserves another visit. I will go up there this summer and always stay at the Keweenaw Mt. Lodge.in Copper Harbor.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
Okay, for some fishing (whether it be out on Lake Superior, one of our inland lakes or rivers) you can try Uncle Ducky's. They have several packages. Uncle Ducky Lake Superior Charter Fishing salmon and trout fishing charters and Other Vacation Packages. I am assuming that you are not bringing your gear? If you are, then just stop at any baitshop for advice on where to go.
They are working on bringing back the Marquette Mountain bike lift service this summer
Marquette Mountain
If you don't have your own (have no idea if you're flying or driving) then you can go to Downwind Sports and rent a bike for 24hrs $20 Mountain Bikes | Down Wind Sports

The folks at Downwind can help you with info on just about every outdoor adventure you can think of in the area. The ones I've spoken with, you can tell they actually live the life...... not just work at some sporting goods store for a job.
There are places to rent kayaks here to. You can even get a guided kayak trip along the Lake Superior coast line.

As for food...... as long as you avoid the chain restaurants and the Asian food places (have yet to find a good one up here), I have not had an unpleasant experience with any of the local eateries.
Every time my inlaws visit now they stay at the Landmark Inn. They make sure to eat breakfast at least once at Capers which is located within the building. They rave about Capers Classic Omelet (I'm not a morning person so I've never joined them for breakfast). We usually eat lunch at the Pub one day and then at Donckers (downtown) one day.
For pasties, we like Jean Kay's Jean Kays Pasties & Subs but deciding who has the best pasties could start a war up here in da U.P.

Here is the website I refer to often when looking for new things to explore/do here in the U.P. Hunts' Guide to Michigan's Upper Peninsula
It makes a good jumping off point anyways.

Please let us know what you think of the area once you get back
Good post., by the way. the landmark just remodled the main dining room . It now fits more of the intent , as a restored Hotel.( was Org.Northland Hotel)

Old 05-06-2011, 03:24 PM

4,121 posts, read 7,948,839 times
One of the best things you can do is get in your car with no plan.... and just drive. You will always run into some amazing sights and scenery. Youll run into small interesting little towns and tons of forest, wildlife, lakes and streams. Personally I could do this all day...every day. The whole U.P is amazing...but the further west you go it just keeps getting better and better. I would move to Marquette right this second if I could...and Lake Superior is a whole other sight to behold. Make sure you do plenty of walking on the shores of this amazing lake....you WILL want to come back...I guarantee it!!

Old 05-06-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
One of the best things you can do is get in your car with no plan.... and just drive. You will always run into some amazing sights and scenery. Youll run into small interesting little towns and tons of forest, wildlife, lakes and streams. Personally I could do this all day...every day. The whole U.P is amazing...but the further west you go it just keeps getting better and better. I would move to Marquette right this second if I could...and Lake Superior is a whole other sight to behold. Make sure you do plenty of walking on the shores of this amazing lake....you WILL want to come back...I guarantee it!!
Most of the UP is flat and or low areas, marsh,etc. I remember so well the first time i came to the UP, it was in 1972. I had just bought a new Jag. V12 XKE and the roads were endless all across the UP. Those were great times living in Chicago, and the good times flowed freely. I am sure it was 2 wife's ago now.Back then we did not think much about speed limits, it was wide open , great place for sport cars and motorcycles, still is, only a little slower, but then so am I.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:15 PM

76 posts, read 108,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Swell View Post
Hey Yoopers,

I'm visiting Marquette this summer and I'd like to here what you think I should check out. I've been doing some research and found a lot of interesting stuff.

Presque Isle Park
Climb Sugarloaf
Hike near Hogsback (is that correct?)
Hike to Carp River

For food and drinks I was thinking the following:

Upfront & Company
The Vierling
Elizabeth's Chop House
Casa Calabria

I'll be staying at The Landmark and I'm really excited. Anything else that I should check out? Thanks!
I will stay out of the food end of things with the exception of Jean Kayes, best pasties around. And if you do go for a stroll on Presque Isle I would most definitely grab a couple pasties to eat before hand.
Sounds like you are a hiker, I would go a bit farther north(west) down 550 and find all of the beautiful trails at Wetmore, you will not be disappointed. There are a few turn offs for parking along the way, and some of the trails can be as challenging as you want to make them. June can be very nice, or not so nice weatherwise, but do not let that detract you from enjoying beautiful scenery and countryside. Bike rentals are pretty pricey in Marquette, but probably worth the coin for tooling around for a few hours. Make sure you stop in at Thill's while your on your bike (or not) for some great smoked fish (I love the whitefish). It is close enough from town and super easy to find.
As far as accomodations, the Landmark is a well known hotel, been there forever, and I've heard both good and bad so really cannot recommend. There are several good mom and pop motels around too, clean and will get you a good nights rest. Alot of us are waiting for the Hampton to open next year in Founder's Landing - will be a great location.
Anyway, best to you and hoping you have a great time in Michigans UP.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:39 PM

351 posts, read 704,170 times
Upfront and the chophouse are worth it. Sorry Lindsy. I do agree with her on the Portside bread sticks and the Skatchata sandwich. Latitudes is under new ownership and is well worth the walk down to the harbor for a bite and cold brew. Also the Vierling and Blackrocks for beer for sure. Blackrocks is a newer nano brewery that gets packed and often runs out of beer. It's on 3rd st just up from downwind. I would recommend Sweet water cafe and 3rd st bagel for breakfast as well. They are all in walking distance from you hotel. (The rice paddy would be worth checking out too but it is a bit further and off the beaten path in North Marquette.)
I hope Jeeg is right about the ski lift being open for bikes this summer but either way get up to Mt Marquette, you can even drive if you wish. Dusk time offers great views of the lake and city. Take a stroll out on the breakwall (lower harbor-downtown or upper harbor- Presque isle) Marquette is known for MTN biking and I would recommend the "south trails" They range from novice/medium to expert. Downwind or lakeshore bike can set you up. Lots of bike paths in the city as well. If is so coincides we have the Superior bike fest in June and Ore to shore bike race in august.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:24 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,631,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Upfront is a great place to dine. Only wood fired food around. Pizza and calzones are my favoites. Yes they have entertainment, if you come before 9;oo its a quiet experence. Elizabeths ( Chophouse) is best food in the UP, hands down. I had lunch there today( you can spend about 20.00 for two for lunch. Yes at nite it can be a bit expensive., but , worth the trip for special times.
Marquette has a lot of choices, more restaurants than people, many times.
Out of town there are a few places too. In Gwinn Upnorth lodge is great for ribs. Then there is the Brownstone Inn in AuTrain.....No one starves in Marquette for sure!
I heard that Upfront has live music. Does anyone know if it is just on weekends? I'd love to check out some local bands.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:44 PM

Thanks jeeg. Mountain biking would be a lot of fun, and we plan on checking out Jean Kays for some pasties.

Can't wait to tell you about our trip to the lovely U.P.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Good post., by the way. the landmark just remodled the main dining room . It now fits more of the intent , as a restored Hotel.( was Org.Northland Hotel)
That's good to know. Thanks!

The Landmark sounds wonderful. I think my wife booked a suite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan