U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:28 AM

47,531 posts, read 62,203,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
The name is degrading to two ethnic groups -- that's why it's bad. I know political correctness goes too far sometimes, but this really is offensive to many people.
Irish are not offended by the fact that many Irish names start with "Mc" pronounced "mic". That's simply a fact -- just like the last names that start with "O". You'd have to be very thin skinned to take offence at that and the Irish tend to be thick skinned.

I wonder where the slur word for Italian came from. Maybe because Deago or Diago is often a name they give their kids and they just stated being called the other word? Sort of like if you use "every Tom, Dick, and Harry" often enough those names till become slur words if a group is ultra sensitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 09:39 AM

47,531 posts, read 62,203,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-IRISH View Post
speaking from the irish perspective on this,if the irish can't punch it or drink it,they have no interest in it
The problem with the Irish (and their descendents) is they are almost impossible to really insult. If someone tries, they'll just turn it into a joke and laugh about it.

Someone probably came up with the term "fighting Irish" so what do the Irish do? They use the term with pride. The funny thing about the old Pat and Mike jokes was that the Irish people told them the most and laughed the hardest at them.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:26 PM

541 posts, read 889,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The problem with the Irish (and their descendents) is they are almost impossible to really insult. If someone tries, they'll just turn it into a joke and laugh about it.

Someone probably came up with the term "fighting Irish" so what do the Irish do? They use the term with pride. The funny thing about the old Pat and Mike jokes was that the Irish people told them the most and laughed the hardest at them.
The thing about the irish is we have a certain way about telling people something,like when we tell someone to go to hell,it's in a way that the look forward to the trip now,on another hand situation,about ethnic type stuff,everyone hit all the bases,except arabs,so to show their tolerance and peacefullness,they should sponser a gay bar,maybe call it "the tubin cowboy" or "you mecca me so hot"

Old 08-17-2011, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,540 times
In spite of the terrible name, I was going to check this place out today because I like to try new places. But we changed our minds because of this:
1. My friend arrived ahead of me, and went in to ask if they could make change for the parking meter. It wasn't that they could not, but they plainly refused, even when she told them she'd be back with a friend to have lunch.
2. When I did arrive, she met me on the street, and we went back into the restaurant. We were greeted by a stoney glare from the man behind the counter. No smile, no welcome.
3. They charge $0.50 for TAP water! And call themselves a restaurant?!
4. The name. Can't get over it, and don't want to support racism in my community.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:39 PM

939 posts, read 2,414,701 times
If your comments are true, they will be history after or during the upcoming winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlibby View Post
In spite of the terrible name, I was going to check this place out today because I like to try new places. But we changed our minds because of this:
1. My friend arrived ahead of me, and went in to ask if they could make change for the parking meter. It wasn't that they could not, but they plainly refused, even when she told them she'd be back with a friend to have lunch.
2. When I did arrive, she met me on the street, and we went back into the restaurant. We were greeted by a stoney glare from the man behind the counter. No smile, no welcome.
3. They charge $0.50 for TAP water! And call themselves a restaurant?!
4. The name. Can't get over it, and don't want to support racism in my community.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:00 PM

165 posts, read 466,362 times
Had to laugh, I am a white atheist but since I am also vegetarian Churches chicken and Cracker barrel are not places I would go to. Seems like the name is not the problem for this business, poor customer service will be their downfall.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:17 PM

12,371 posts, read 8,057,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
The name is degrading to two ethnic groups -- that's why it's bad. I know political correctness goes too far sometimes, but this really is offensive to many people.
MicDaegos is a common Italian last name. Google it. There are MicDaego's markets all over the place.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:29 PM

750 posts, read 2,545,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
MicDaegos is a common Italian last name. Google it. There are MicDaego's markets all over the place.
LOL yeah, some try to take this PC business too far!

Old 08-17-2011, 09:25 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,962,871 times
I'm very proud of my Italian heritage and I find it hilarious. I'll be sure and stop in next time I'm up that way.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:26 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,046,101 times
It depends on how you take it...I heard that term (among others) all my life - never took it seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or