U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2011, 11:47 AM

5 posts, read 8,059 times

Advertisements

I was born in Allegan, Michigan and raised in North Alabama. I am relocating to Kalamazoo area. I'am interested in knowing everything and anything about the city... Please Help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 07:00 PM

356 posts, read 933,621 times
The City of Kalamazoo has many different neighborhoods with housing choices that run from ultra low cost shacks to high priced mansions. Surrounding the City are quite a few other cities and suburban areas which have different names but are all part of the same urban area. So you have a wide range of choices and where you might want to locate depends on your needs and expectations.

There are many lakes with good fishing, and the landscape in the country surrounding the city is hilly with a lot of trees and farms, a very attractive area. Lake Michigan is about a 45 minute drive away.

Generally you will find costs relatively low and quality of life quite high.

Kalamazoo has a university and gets quite a few students from other areas including foreign students.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:04 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,855,772 times
Kalamazoo is a great city -- I absolutely love it. It is somewhat of a college town -- home to Western Michigan University (my alma mater), Kalamazoo College and K'zoo Valley Community College. It's also home to Stryker, a large medical services company.

There are some really nice city neighborhoods like Westnedge Hill and Stuart, with great older homes. The westside and Oshtemo and Texas Townships are great places for newer homes. Parchment is a very nice, older suburb on the northeast side of town, and Portage is a decent -- but bland -- newer suburb immediately south of K'zoo.

Of course, like all Michigan cities, K'zoo has some really dangerous, crime-infested, ghetto areas. Avoid the Northside of Kalamazoo; it is an extremely dangerous, high-crime ghetto. Ditto for the Eastside and Edison neighborhood. Westwood is a mixed bag -- parts of the neighborhood are really nice, others are impoverished, high-crime ghetto. Living near WMU will expose you to property crime (break-ins, car thefts), but not much in the way of violence. If you can afford it, the area along Bronson Boulevard is really nice.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:46 PM

I really appreciate yall sharing this with me, please continue to post any information that will be helpful. I've worked out of Grand Rapids years ago and have been to Kalamazoo many times. I also used to have relatives that lived in area. Hoping for the best, and knowing that Michigan will be incredible.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:09 PM

356 posts, read 933,621 times
What are you looking for? A place to live? Its kind of hard to describe a place without knowing what might fit your needs.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:28 PM

Default AL truck driver moving to Kalamazoo area (continued)

I already have a home in area. The types of things I'am looking for are where to shop, dine, and other activities... Best places to fish locally and where to avoid. Places to ride bikes, and go camping. This is the type of information I am looking for. Also I will be looking for the best neighborhood bar in the Portage area. (This was always a major grievance my daddy had with living in Alabama, that there was no such thing). Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:35 PM

749 posts, read 2,152,229 times
I prefer Lawton/Mattawan/Paw Paw myself. If you want shopping and dining Westnedge Ave has everything especially South of 94. There's a fairly decent size mall on Westnedge and just about every dining and big box store you could imagine in that area.

The only place I ever fished around there was Bankston Lake out in Lawton, it was good I caught panfish and a couple of bass. There was a good campground out there on Bankston also. I'd check out some of the lakes off the beaten path of M-40 anywhere between Allegan and Marcellus. I wouldn't waste my time at Maple Lake in Paw Paw, never saw anyone catch much of anything there.

Northside K-Zoo especially M-43 and above is bad area. Comstock and Galesburg on the East side of k-Zoo, kind of sketchy also. I've never been on it , but the Kal-Haven Trail I've heard is good for biking.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:09 AM

5,990 posts, read 11,855,772 times
I have never heard Galesburg referred to as "sketchy" before.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:21 PM

73 posts, read 256,346 times
Portage is a nice area...bike trails right through it also close to kal-haven and mountain biking at fort Custer is a lot of fun. Not sure if Cruiser's pub is still on s. westnage but that is an awesome neighborhood bar and theres always main street pub across the street both are near westnage and centre. There is a couple of good sized lakes right in portage with public access but a lot of homes on them. the mall is also right there for shopping otherwise many cool local stores in kzoo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan