U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,966 times

Advertisements

My husband is going to be a graduate student at Michigan Tech so we need to move our family of 6. Were looking for information and advice about the Houghton/Hancock area.

1. We need housing on a small income. We need at least a 3 bedroom in an area that is safe for small children and hopefully close to campus. Where should we start looking, area's to aviod, ect.

2. Any info on primary and secondary schools would be great.

3. Can family of 6 make it on about 30k in that area?

4. Are there any Grace Brethen or Missionary churches in the area?

Thank in advance! Any information is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 12:11 PM

760 posts, read 2,215,892 times
1. I think most any area is safe for small children. The U.P. as a whole is very safe. Just try to find a place in a quiet area (as opposed to being on a busy street).
2. Can't help
3. As long as you live within your means, that shouldn't be a problem.
4. This link seems to do a good job of showing the churches in the area CopperCountry.com :: Churches of Houghton County

Old 05-13-2011, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,913 times
Former Tech student here.

1. The UP is incredibly safe and Michigan Tech is ranked as the safest campus in the country and one of the safest in the US. Houghton is ranked as one of the best small towns in the country. Houghton is a wonderful town and I miss living there.

2. Houghton and Hancock schools are both fine. Surrounding schools include Dollar Bay, Lake Linden/Calumet/Hubbell, and Jeffers, but I don't really know much about them. I don't know how old your kids are, but there is a major advantage of living in Hancock--through a contract with Hancock schools, graduates of Hancock High School are awarded a tuition scholarship to Finlandia University, a small Lutheran university right in downtown Hancock. I don't recall how long the contract is good for (I think it ends later this decade), but if you're planning to stick around for awhile, it's something to consider.

3. I'm not very knowledgeable with this, but you *should* be able to. Homes in the area are fairly large and decently priced as long as you don't live next to campus. My roommates and I paid $600/month (200 each) for a fairly big house that was a few miles from campus, but that was a few years ago and prices are lower now (I assume).

4. I'm not sure what either of those denominations are, but there is a Grace United Methodist church on Isle Royale St, which is downtown (on westbound US-41, from the Lift Bridge heading back towards campus). There's also Grace Christian Fellowship which is in Calumet (about fifteen miles north), and Grace Lutheran in South Range (about ten miles south).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan