Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 02:01 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

Manufacturing Stages A Comeback - Joel Kotkin - New Geographer - Forbes

The one thing for sure is that if America is to comeback manufacturing MUST lead it. About a year ago I predicted that within 5 to 10 years Michigan will be among the top ten states for employment opportunities. I am still holding to that. I think the state is a steal right now......especially the Detroit area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 02:07 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
I 100% agree with you. I was saying this last year during the bad (worse) times and I still believe its a great time to live in Michigan...but its gonna get even better.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:40 AM

51 posts, read 78,463 times
I thought so too but look at happened to the Ford Wixom Plant it was to become a manufacturing hub and still nothing is going on there. I was to have many companies moving in to set up shop there and it is still empty... Also what happened to the Wind Turbine Manufacturing Plant that was going to happen also in Wixom making the large turbine blades have not see any going to the e-ways and that has been a year ago. The only thing I have seen is the battery production and engineering going on for the auto manufacturers but again not as big as it could be.

So I am not sure just what products will be made here truly. The labor costs are what will hold it back when these costs outisde the US is a lot less...

Though is a lot of empty industial buildings they could get a great deal on a lease but over time it will all go up again... Taking away from their profits... Again it will be a slow recovery as it has been...

Newaygo1

Old 05-17-2011, 05:37 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
I'm happy for Michigan.

Somewhat.

I'm still in touch with friends & family in the Great Lake State but there's a fly in the ointment.

Many of these jobs pay little. And before y'all harp on me..........that was making my pay get smaller every year. Kinda like the law of averages. The guy bustin' his arse is makin' 8 bucks per hour, therefore a skilled employee with a degree shouldn't be makin' more than twice that.

I'm seeing the same thing happen here in Phoenix, I just happened to parlay that into 10 years or so of makin' some good coin.

We'll be catching up to Michigan soon enough (or dropping to that level, however ya wanna look at it).

Old 05-17-2011, 05:39 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I 100% agree with you. I was saying this last year during the bad (worse) times and I still believe its a great time to live in Michigan...but its gonna get even better.
It's always great to be in Michigan.

Even better when bass season opens.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:55 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post

Should be a holiday like first day of deer season.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:15 PM

21,132 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The one thing for sure is that if America is to comeback manufacturing MUST lead it.
I agree 100% with this statement, but I doubt that America will be able/willing to prevent manufacturing jobs from continuing to be exported. I do think that automakers are on a slightly more level playing field now than they were a few years ago now that the unions have taken concessions regarding Jobs Bank, health care contributions, etc. Jobs will always gravitate to the most desperate workers, and now that Michigan/Detroit are becoming more "3rd World", maybe those jobs will come here.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:55 AM

51 posts, read 78,463 times
The jobs are paying and all the talk you see and hear here on the local news never seems to add that many jobs in area. Again like I mentioned above the Old Wixom Ford Plant was to be a multi Business Manufacturing Center but it never got off the ground a lot of talk but nothing it is still empty. Also WDIV had a big thing about jobs opening for a wind turbine manufacturer that had an opening for 200 jobs. I never heard about them after they pushed it even applied for a job there. The reason why they were updating the roads on 96 & Wixom Road area was to accommendate the ability to move the turbine blades from this Shop to where ever they were sold to. But Have not seen any kind of trucking going on for these blades. Again looked to be all talk. As others have mentioned pay is much lower looks to be because too many applicants that need any job so they take whatever they get offered just to get a job andthink that over time it will get them back to what they were making before this crash hit but starting low some employers are using it to their advanatage and keeping the pay low because they cxan get a quick replacement with so many looking and needing a job these days. And then the jobs being added to the US Auto Plants only pay 14.00 an hour about half of what the rest are making so that suggests that ability of buying a home and a car is not going to be possible either one or the other. SO again it is a slow reciovery still...

Newaygo1

Old 05-30-2011, 10:24 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post

This
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: