Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 12:40 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Did you drive yourself to court? Then you drove there on a suspended license BEFORE gettin the ticket leaving the bank...
S/he got the ticket leaving the court lot, not the bank, is my understanding.

Anyway everyone makes dumb decisions at some point in their lives. I don't think the OP depends to be hauled over the coals for it...this isn't something heinous like driving drunk or leading LEOs on a high speed chase.

Anyway, I'm still unclear on all the ramifications for driving on a suspended license but they seem potentially serious and so I reiterate: get an attorney if at all possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 02:56 PM

235 posts, read 536,173 times
I believe around 2005 I received a ticket that I was also unable to pay. License was suspended. I was pulled over and I think received another ticket (?) for driving on a suspended license. I was pulled over at a later date and arrested for driving on a suspended license. I was bailed out, went to court (without a lawyer) and was just fined. I can't imagine they would give you more jail time. I did have to pay driver responsibility fees, and because of the law at the time couldn't get my license back until those were paid. I think I paid around $2k to MI plus the license reinstation fees, original ticket, and second ticket. However, the law has changed now so that it is not so harsh. According to this link (http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dr...s_272930_7.pdf) you can have the suspension terminated before Driver Responsibility Fee is paid in full. They only want the money you don't have. Best Wishes. :|

Old 05-18-2011, 08:20 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
There's no way they'll give you jail time. Not when county jails are overflowing and they're letting people out early.

I doubt they'd appoint you a court-appointed attorney for a small misdemeanor charge, unless you absolutely wanted to fight it (on what grounds, I don't know).

But you can expect to get slapped with big fines, attorney or no attorney. And since you're unemployed, you might need to figure out now how you're going to pay the fines. You might also want to move so you're near bus lines.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:52 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panicattacks View Post
No...I did not pay the ticket over 2 months...not a year. I was not pulled over for speeding. I had gone to the court to pay the ticket and at that time was informed I needed cash not a check. Like I said it was stupid of me to then get in my car to go to the bank. That is when they pulled me over....at the end of the parking lot. For driving with a suspended license. Look..I take full responsibility for this. I was just trying to get some advice.

Ok so what your saying is that the Officer followed you out waited till you got to the end of the Parking lot and pulled you over, even though he /she could have pulled you over/ stopped you before you even drove out of your Parking Spot....... yeah OK.
Like they dont have anything else to do, besides follow People.

Too many things here that dont make sense, I smell a TROLL !

Old 05-19-2011, 07:04 AM

629 posts, read 1,720,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
Ok so what your saying is that the Officer followed you out waited till you got to the end of the Parking lot and pulled you over, even though he /she could have pulled you over/ stopped you before you even drove out of your Parking Spot....... yeah OK.
Like they dont have anything else to do, besides follow People.

Too many things here that dont make sense, I smell a TROLL !
Actually things like this happen a lot around courthouses. Police/clerks/judges notice when someone is there for a suspended license and they're not shy about having an officer keep an eye on the person because the odds are pretty good that person drove themselves to the courthouse and are planning to drive themselves away from the courthouse. I volunteered with a Public Defender's office one summer and could hardly believe how many times it happened. There may have been some reason the officer waited here until the poster was driving in a public street rather than the parking lot, I don't know the specific laws in Michigan.

Just a dumb decision on top of a dumb decision, not trolling.

The OP probably won't face jail time, it takes a lot to actually get jail time for a suspended license. It's definitely going to cost them though, and hiring a lawyer would probably be a good idea.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:08 AM

6 posts, read 24,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
S/he got the ticket leaving the court lot, not the bank, is my understanding.

Anyway everyone makes dumb decisions at some point in their lives. I don't think the OP depends to be hauled over the coals for it...this isn't something heinous like driving drunk or leading LEOs on a high speed chase.

Anyway, I'm still unclear on all the ramifications for driving on a suspended license but they seem potentially serious and so I reiterate: get an attorney if at all possible.

Yes..I got the ticket leaving the parking lot of the court/police station. I am so shocked at some of the comments I got. I thought I had made it clear that I accepted full responsibility for this and that I just wanted some advice on where to go from here.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:15 AM

362 posts, read 695,643 times
Cops also like to hang around bars at closeing time. We have a saying in this area, want a cop build a donut shop.

Ya expect harsh comments here, there are so many who have never did a wrong thing in their whole life nor have they been with out money to pay fines, electric bills and buy food.
You can never expect the advice you asked for with out all the B/S to go with it.

Just read the post about the lottery winner collecting food stamps.
Haven't seen a word on being on the goverment dole when making millions in profits though.

Good luck in court, hope every thing works out for you. You can get free advice from many legal service outfits.

Al

Old 05-19-2011, 12:58 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panicattacks View Post
Yes..I got the ticket leaving the parking lot of the court/police station. I am so shocked at some of the comments I got. I thought I had made it clear that I accepted full responsibility for this and that I just wanted some advice on where to go from here.
What was shocking?

Old 05-20-2011, 03:32 PM

235 posts, read 536,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
What was shocking?
Personally, I think it's shocking how many people were ready to criticize instead of being helpful. I was also surprised to read that so many people thought panicattacks was leaving something out of the story, for something that seems perfectly legitimate to me.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:29 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notdeconcentrate View Post
Personally, I think it's shocking how many people were ready to criticize instead of being helpful. I was also surprised to read that so many people thought panicattacks was leaving something out of the story, for something that seems perfectly legitimate to me.
It's the nature of most online discourse. Particularly if one is a new person posting to a "community" for the first time where nobody "knows" you. I thionk the only people who'd find it "shocking" are those without a lot of experience posting on public forums.

You cannot have a thin skin and get your feelings hurt online when people are haughty, critical, skeptical, whatever...it is what it is. For every completely genuine new poster, there are several who are not-so genuine so it doesn't make sense to believe everything 100%.

That said the OP seemed genuine to me. But this is the interwebs, so really, who knows!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan