U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 07:48 AM

217 posts, read 526,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
People are abusing bridge cards all over. College students use them to buy food so they can spend thier own money on beer and party money. College kids have a term they use for this called "bridging it up" This is all happening on our dime, we need to crack down on abuse of the welfare system. Its bad enough that so many are living off the system, but when you hear about it happening fraudulently it just makes your blood boil.
Heads up...back in Feb. or March Michigan cut college students who are not working a minimum 20 hours/week off the bridge card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 08:54 AM

8,632 posts, read 14,224,026 times
Michigan is better off than a lot of States.......unemployment is now down to 9 per cent, from 14 !... And the students will only take a 100.00 hit , not 300.00 as was reported..... Things are looking up, along with the price of gas. ( that will be short lived) Diesel did not go up with the gas prices....for the first time in many a year.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:29 PM

7,138 posts, read 7,942,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindseyup67 View Post
Heads up...back in Feb. or March Michigan cut college students who are not working a minimum 20 hours/week off the bridge card.

Thanks for the update, that is good news.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:50 PM

217 posts, read 526,674 times
Not really! It means I need to encourage my daughters B/f ,(and HER) to get a job...AND go to school, like a lot of the kids I work with do, each and every week!! ! LOL

Old 05-23-2011, 03:51 AM

766 posts, read 1,446,100 times
Wow to begin with the oil companies make about $.02/gallon profit. The federal government makes $.184/gallon and the state makes $.15/gallon. If the oil companies are raping us, what is the government doing?

The guy had about $1M dollars confiscated from him by the government. When's the tax rate going to be high enough for you? I don't see that being able to keep another $94K is a bad thing.

You don't see him taking money directly from the state that was supposed to be allocated to the poor via food stamps as a problem but not giving the government even more money after $1M is bad?

The oil companies only get subsidies when the government wants them to do something. Most tax breaks are in the form of tax deductions for legitimate expenses. If we eliminate their deductions, let's also eliminate the mortgage tax deduction and other popular programs. This will bring in a lot more money than that of the oil companies.

With regard to Medicare, the program has to be fundamentally transformed or it'll go bankrupt or completely bankrupt our country. Paul Ryan's plan is our best hope to fix it and doesn't affect current seniors.

You can't simply increase taxes on the rich and get more money. For starters, the rich aren't stupid and will change their behavior to avoid taxes. The rich are also our employers -- I've never worked for a poor person. Unemployment will go up if taxes go up. If unemployment increases, tax revenues go down and government spending increases to take care of the unemployed. Ideally you want full employment for maximum government revenue but too many people on the liberal side of government would rather just increase taxes on the rich even if it wouldn't bring in more revenue out of some warped belief system.

So back to the topic -- this guy is a scumbag and is being illustrated as one all over the media now. Hopefully the government closes the loophole he's using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
Yup it is the oil companys who are rapeing americans every day.

With what the guy paid in state taxes I doubt he took any money out of a needy familys mouth. Just getting some of his own back.

OH and he got a $94,000 tax cut from the feds on his winings too under the Bush tax cuts. The guy that won the 2 Million last night gets that same $94,000 tax cut too. In fact all millionaires reciveve a $47,000 tax cut for each million they earn a year. Just think of all those pro sports teams with millionares on them and don't for get the coaches and that even extends into collage sport coaches.

Yes I think the goverment should keep paying the oil companys subtities give several thousand dollar tax cuts to the rich and cut the medic care to old retired people. Wouldn't want the rich to suffer any would we?

Al

Old 05-23-2011, 07:38 AM

362 posts, read 619,629 times
The gas station on the corner they claim makes 2 cents a gallon on the gas they sell not the oil companys. The oil companys get the subsity derect from the fed, they are supposed to explore for domestic oil with that money, it isn't a deduction.

My tax rate is very welll high enough, maybe if those rich peoples rates was a little bit higher we would not have to tax the pentions of retires, worry about medicare, aid.

The rich all ready avoid paying their fair share of taxes. They buy politions and vote them in office to start with so they keep getting those tax breaks. They hide money in places it can not be taxed too. they are also very good at keeping the masses brain washed into believeing if they paid their fair share we would not have jobs every one would starve to death.
Shoot the american people who do pay the lion share of taxes bailed them out so they could collect a huge bounas. And people still think they shouldn't be taxes their fair share.

Many of those rich do not employe any one on a stand alone job. It is the companys that stock holders have a stake in that hires people. That lottery winner will never hire any one except thru the stocks in companys he buys into. Neither will 90% of the rich sports people.

Michigans gas tax.
Michigan1915Plus 6% sales tax and 0.875 cpg for environmental regulation fee for refined petroleum fund.
Here in Michigan we pay 25 cents a gallon to the state every time we buy a gallon total.

Federal gas tax.
Federal Tax of 18.4 cents per gallon is collected in all states in addition to any state or local taxes on gasoline sales.
Which makes a total of 43 cents a gallon in tax money off every gallon of gasoline.

This below information needs to be updated. under this law you needed a fuel sticker on your motor carrier(semi). That is no longer so.

Michigan19156For vehicles defined under the Motor Carrier Fuel Tax Act, diesel fuel is discounted 6 cents per gallon at the pump; and assessed a 12 cents per gallon surcharge on a quarterly return, with a provision for a 6 cent per gallon refund on fuel purchased in Michigan.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 05-23-2011 at 07:50 AM..

Old 05-23-2011, 11:39 AM

528 posts, read 784,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Per the article, the loop hole is how the money is categorized. The lump sum payout makes it an "asset" and not income, and Michigan's welfare guidelines are based on federal regulations. They look at income, not assets. Its a huge loop hole.
I'm not clear how this loophole even exists, because we were foster parents and I worked with families in reunification so I've helped clients apply for these programs many times, and in all 3 west coast states they require you to spend down assets to qualify, or stay qualified.

I'm not sure why that isn't true in Michigan?

Old 05-23-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
Unlike the OP, I do blame this guy. He's a total scum bag for sucking off the state when he doesn't need to. Our state legislature should immediately close whatever loophole the guy is using.
Ditto. Just because you can do something, does not mean it's right to do. I'd like to see this person using their newfound fortune to serve their community or start a business employing local folks instead of sucking dry a system already struggling to meet a great need these days. It's wrong.

But shaming folks is wrong too, and it's the root of the issue. Shaming folks is what keeps them from becoming productive citizens. There's no shame in a temporary need for help, but if we make it a shameful thing we put people in a position where they don't have the confidence or self-esteem to get *off* the dole.

For that we should be ashamed... And outraged. If the goal is to give temporary help and get folks back to being successful, tax paying citizens we need to spend the money to make that happen. Cheaping out on welfare benefits leaves people without the social or economic resources to improve their situation in life. Instead of helping families stay stable, they spend a fortune trying to put the pieces back together. An ounce of prevention truly is worth the pound of cure. What we saved in welfare benefits we're spending 10x as much on CPS and reunification programs. Penny"wise", pound foolish.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
I don't under stand what ya,ll are fussing about. Why is it any differnt for a lottery winner to collect food stamps than a company makeing millions in profits and collect 40 million in funds from the goverment.

I bet it is because the guy used to be poor and needed food stamps and the oil companies were never poor to start with. Keep that foot on the back of the once poor, keep pouring tax dollars into an industry making insame amounts of profit.

Sounds more than fair to me.

Al
Oh, Al, that's a whole 'nother can o' worms. We had the oil man from Texas come knocking on our door (figuratively speaking). My ex is from an oil family, my husband's uncle and cousin own their own exploration firms, and I did my real estate classes in Tx. A quarter of the curriculum is real estate law because mineral rights, land grants and deed issues are a big issue in Texas. You don't get that straight you're in deep doo doo. I was horrified that they are offering $60 an acre and 1/8 royalties, and even more horrified doing my research to learn some folks last year got $20/acre and even smaller royalties. In states where oil and natural gas have been big business longer the oil and gas companies would get run out of town for an offer like that. When they've already done the research and they know the reserves are here and accessible, they'd be looking at more like $4000-10000 an acre and 1/4 royalties, in proven land we could be looking $15000-20000 an acre and better terms for the royalties.

The landman kept justifying the puny offer at the same time he was talking about them buying up 26000 acres. This isn't the wildcatter days, nobody buys up that kind of land on a hunch, they know it's there, and as the landman said, they've done the studies, they know the land will produce. But Michigan has been willing to give away the rights of their citizens and does not hold the oil and gas companies to the same standards for forced pooling that other states require. The oil and gas companies have the folks of Michigan right where they want them.

Yet the profit is there. Some gas company owned by some fat, sassy Texan is going to get filthy, stinking rich and Michigan is getting raped and pillaged. It's wrong.... Crazy thing is if the DNR/State would stand up for their citizens and not let the oil and gas companies steamroll citizens for a miniscule fraction of what their mineral rights are worth, the taxes would help the whole state, and the oil/gas income would too....

Disgusting.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Michigan is better off than a lot of States.......unemployment is now down to 9 per cent, from 14 !... And the students will only take a 100.00 hit , not 300.00 as was reported..... Things are looking up, along with the price of gas. ( that will be short lived) Diesel did not go up with the gas prices....for the first time in many a year.
Hey! You're back! Nice to see you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan