U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 06:52 PM

117 posts, read 330,864 times

Advertisements

I don't blame the guy since he did ask - but it is pretty dumb that the rules allow for something like this when these programs were meant to help those who had no options.
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/2m-mi...ry?id=13632236
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 09:07 PM

7,138 posts, read 7,942,846 times
People are abusing bridge cards all over. College students use them to buy food so they can spend thier own money on beer and party money. College kids have a term they use for this called "bridging it up" This is all happening on our dime, we need to crack down on abuse of the welfare system. Its bad enough that so many are living off the system, but when you hear about it happening fraudulently it just makes your blood boil.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:45 AM

766 posts, read 1,446,100 times
I think this crap ramped up when we started taking the SHAME out of welfare benefits. Start by eliminating the Bridge Card which looks too much like a normal credit card and go back to food stamps. Force a driver's license check any time the stamps are used and limit them to only certain food products.

This lottery winner thing is a travesty. Any large sum of money like this triggers an IRS flag immediately and taxes must be paid. This should have stopped any aid because he would have had an income of $850K or more -- how do you gain an asset without it being declared income the first year. Once the $850K became an asset -- why didn't that stop the aid? The state really doesn't have a rule concerning personal assets in their Bridge Card criteria rules?

Unlike the OP, I do blame this guy. He's a total scum bag for sucking off the state when he doesn't need to. Our state legislature should immediately close whatever loophole the guy is using.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:59 AM

2,951 posts, read 6,288,352 times
Per the article, the loop hole is how the money is categorized. The lump sum payout makes it an "asset" and not income, and Michigan's welfare guidelines are based on federal regulations. They look at income, not assets. Its a huge loop hole.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:48 AM

14,538 posts, read 13,262,767 times
This is what the liberals have created.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:36 AM

21,093 posts, read 24,761,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
This is what the liberals have created.

Wasn't the loophole passed under the Engler administration?

Old 05-19-2011, 09:59 AM

362 posts, read 619,629 times
I don't under stand what ya,ll are fussing about. Why is it any differnt for a lottery winner to collect food stamps than a company makeing millions in profits and collect 40 million in funds from the goverment.

I bet it is because the guy used to be poor and needed food stamps and the oil companies were never poor to start with. Keep that foot on the back of the once poor, keep pouring tax dollars into an industry making insame amounts of profit.

Sounds more than fair to me.

Al

Old 05-19-2011, 10:15 PM

766 posts, read 1,446,100 times
I'm not sure what company you're referring to but most of the time when people complain about tax dollars going to an industry, it's actually a reduction of revenue coming into the government from the company (ie a tax cut) rather than a direct monetary transfer. The only exception I know of is when the government actually wants the company to do something that it wouldn't ordinarily do (ie specific research). For oil companies, this would probably be research into renewable fuels. It's more efficient for the government to fund it in this way than to do it themselves.

This is much different than a person collecting money meant for those that need it to survive. Food stamps should not be given to millionaires. The loophole that allows this should be closed immediately. The guy is just a creep for continuing to take the money. He learned the behavior from sucking off the government when he was poor and just has a sense of entitlement now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
I don't under stand what ya,ll are fussing about. Why is it any differnt for a lottery winner to collect food stamps than a company makeing millions in profits and collect 40 million in funds from the goverment.

I bet it is because the guy used to be poor and needed food stamps and the oil companies were never poor to start with. Keep that foot on the back of the once poor, keep pouring tax dollars into an industry making insame amounts of profit.

Sounds more than fair to me.

Al

Old 05-20-2011, 06:51 AM

21,093 posts, read 24,761,383 times
Might have been referring to EXXON, SHELL, and BP who receive several millions in subsidies even though they are raping in excess of $5+BILLION in profits.
The huge tax rebates corporations get (rebates that CUT into services others rely on for survival and safety) while "the little people" have to ante up more and more in taxes...usually SALES tax since the upper elite rarely pay taxes out of their OWN resources and IF they do it is a TAX DEDUCT for them.
If a guy wants to spend a few dollars on his bridge card (and I am sure his TAXES were over and above what he will ever spend in his lifetime) who is being cheated?
Maybe he will go on a spending spree, pay those outrageous sales taxes, and further contribute to the economic growth of his community?

Old 05-20-2011, 07:17 AM

362 posts, read 619,629 times
Yup it is the oil companys who are rapeing americans every day.

With what the guy paid in state taxes I doubt he took any money out of a needy familys mouth. Just getting some of his own back.

OH and he got a $94,000 tax cut from the feds on his winings too under the Bush tax cuts. The guy that won the 2 Million last night gets that same $94,000 tax cut too. In fact all millionaires reciveve a $47,000 tax cut for each million they earn a year. Just think of all those pro sports teams with millionares on them and don't for get the coaches and that even extends into collage sport coaches.

Yes I think the goverment should keep paying the oil companys subtities give several thousand dollar tax cuts to the rich and cut the medic care to old retired people. Wouldn't want the rich to suffer any would we?

Al
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan