U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 08:58 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,858,647 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't call Milwood nice. It was at one point, but it's really gone downhill in the past few years. Parts of it can be pretty shady. Mattawan will probably be too suburban for your liking. South Haven is another nice small town - and it's right on Lake Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 09:28 PM

11 posts, read 49,012 times
Well we drove out there today, and after looking at a few different towns, we have decided that Paw Paw is the one. We didn't have a whole lot of time to explore it in depth, but there's just something about it that we love.
So now I will ask specifically - is there anything I should know about the town? Are there restaurants that are gross, landlords that will rip their tenants off, etc? What's the rental market like, particularly close to downtown? And we didn't see anyone boating or swimming in the lake (admittedly, we didn't really do more than drive by it a few times because of time constraints, so we didn't get a good look) - is it just for show?
Thanks for any input, and also for all your suggestions! I do still have other questions in my original post that could use an answer too...

Old 05-23-2011, 09:32 PM

412 posts, read 604,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losethatsmile View Post
Well we drove out there today, and after looking at a few different towns, we have decided that Paw Paw is the one. We didn't have a whole lot of time to explore it in depth, but there's just something about it that we love.
So now I will ask specifically - is there anything I should know about the town? Are there restaurants that are gross, landlords that will rip their tenants off, etc? What's the rental market like, particularly close to downtown? And we didn't see anyone boating or swimming in the lake (admittedly, we didn't really do more than drive by it a few times because of time constraints, so we didn't get a good look) - is it just for show?
Thanks for any input, and also for all your suggestions! I do still have other questions in my original post that could use an answer too...
Glad you liked it. Did you stop by "That Coffee Place" and grab a cup? Thats where you can find the buzz... The lakes are more for looking at than swimming, but boating is ok on them... there are a lot nicer lakes on the outskirts of town. All the places to eat are pretty decent, and rentals are hit and miss, I haven't really heard of anyone with a horror story.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:39 AM

259 posts, read 735,636 times
Well I have rented to a few people in Mattawan who came from Paw Paw with bad landlords. Ill have to ask the wife if she remembers any of their names.

St. Julian Winery is a great stop if you have some time. There is most fast food restaurants there, along with a few sit down type restaurants (La Cantina (great Italian), Gallagher's Eatery & Pub (Been a long time since I've been there), Copper Grille (Few years old, haven't been there yet), etc)

I assume your talking about Maple Lake, just west of town. I have never been to it other then sit at the picnic tables by the road. But I have heard people talk about how its a "dirty" lake.

There are some "lower income" areas on the outskirts. Not like "rough crowd" type, just lower income living.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:32 PM

1,711 posts, read 2,717,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losethatsmile View Post
I rented an upstairs apt on East Paw Paw St. for $500, got the garage with it too, although the landlord did rip me off in the end. Boating or Swimming you got to go out to Three Mile Lake or Cora Lake. Maple Isle sucks, they had a problem with goose dung on the Island and swimming area, I'd stay away from there. Don't know of any nasty restaraunts. Paw Paw is cool and I think having the State Trooper and County Jail right in town makes it safer. I liked it there when I lived there a couple years ago.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:07 AM

115 posts, read 253,581 times
Augusta,MI 10 or 15 minutes east of kalamazoo

Old 06-16-2011, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,704 times
I don't know if this is too late, or if it is in the right area you are looking for, but i live in Brighton and it is the cutest small town you will find in Michigan!!! We are a mix of traditional and modern. We have a cute small downtown that hosts weekly farmers markets along with tons of festivals (summer, winter, music, art, etc) and there is swing dancing at the Mill Pond on Sundays and jazz on Fridays. Also, the dowtown has too many restaurants to count! A few streets away is a more modern area of town that houses many, many stores and a small mall, which makes it easy to never need to leave town! Brighton is located in the middle of detroit, lansing and ann arbor, which gives you the shortest drive to any of the cities. Also, there's barely any crime and the schools are thought of very highly, no doubt the best in Livingston County. If you can't tell, i am very proud of my town! It makes for a great place to live.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:37 PM

8,226 posts, read 16,828,129 times
Would Marshall be too far of a commute? Some really nice housing stock there.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:12 PM

11 posts, read 49,012 times
Thanks to the most recent posters, but I have already decided on a town.

Amandablank13: Brighton is on the clear opposite side of the state :P I'm glad you like it there - my little sisters lived/worked in Brighton for a bit, and they didn't really have any complaints except about the high school...but who doesn't complain about high school? :P

Beachmouse: Oh goodness yes, it's much too far. But it was a consideration for a halfway point just in case my husband couldn't find a job (we've since made other arrangements for that very possible scenario). My grandma lives there and we think it's just adorable! Love the historic houses and the downtown!

Old 08-19-2011, 06:41 PM

4 posts, read 5,540 times
Vicksburg, Mattawan, or Paw Paw...all three are smaller towns close to kalamazoo but away from the "city" If your planing on staying in the town you pick and have kids there mattawan would be the best bet. Good community, Great schools, also the town is growing in size and is definitly not a dead town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan