U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 06:40 PM

2 posts, read 6,056 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I'm looking to relocate from Saginaw. I am interested in those areas that are more diverse, both culturally and racially. I don't want to live in a big city, but certainly would consider the outlying areas. I've often heard that Lansing would fit the bill, but I'd also like to know about other areas as well.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 07:15 PM

11 posts, read 49,052 times
Hello! What would you consider a "big city" and what would you consider "diverse"? Lansing is twice the size of Saginaw, so I don't know if that's what you're looking for. Besides that, there's a lot of racial diversity but not much cultural diversity for the size, if you mean things like restaurants and shops and events. Kalamazoo is a smaller city, but I'm not sure how diverse it is at all. It's a college town, so it must have some diversity. Ann Arbor I think is around the same size as Lansing, and since U of M is very well known, it would attract a pretty diverse crowd - I think they have a lot of international students, but don't quote me.
If safety is a concern, Ann Arbor is the best way to go in my opinion. I've really not ever heard a bad thing about it, and I LOVE visiting there. It's the most expensive of the options I named, but not unreachable - and outlying areas will be cheaper, just not as fun
Hope that helped!

Old 05-19-2011, 07:58 PM

4,121 posts, read 7,960,360 times
Id chose Lansing over Saginaw any day....Ann Arbor over Lansing.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:17 PM

27,781 posts, read 65,708,971 times
Michigan is not racially diverse. People tend to self segregate by race and even by cultural background. Ann Arbor is the only place that I can think of with much Diversity. River Rouge and Ecorse seems ot have a pretty even racial mix, but they are not nice places. I cannot think of anywhere else withmuch actual diversity.

THat is just the way things are here. Whites and blacks do not mix a lot. Koreans cluster together,people of polish descent tend to be congregated in certain areas, Middle Eastern People in Dearborn, Mexicans and other HIspanics in the Mexican Villiage. Jewish people in certain areas, every cultural group seems to cluster in a certain location or locations. Scandanavian descent people seem to be scattered about a lot, but there are certain areas where we are rare. this is just not a melting pot place. More like a bunch of different kettles. People seem to get along pretty well, but they just do nto mix all that much. The neat thing is that there are various areass that you can visit to expeience certain cultures. (For example, downriver is the only place that I know of where you can get muskrat stew). Some places are mixed a little, but wihtin those polaces there are clusters. Some clusters in in general areas rather than in a spcific town.

When you get outside of the Detroit Metropolitan area, the only cultural issue is whether you are from Dutch, German or Scandanavian background. It appears that there are very few people of other cultures outside of Detroit Metro (and Ann Arbor/Lansing due to college influence). There may be a few Italians who go lost on their way between New York and Chicago. I think that Grand Rapids now allows a limited number of people whoa re not of Dutch descent.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:27 PM

340 posts, read 867,198 times
As was mentioned above MI is not very diverse. In the SE area I think the most "diverse" cities you can find are probably Troy, Sterling Heights, Canton and maybe West Bloomfield. And I believe they are almost all over 80% white or pretty close. Ann Arbor is also considered "diverse".

Old 05-23-2011, 05:11 AM

21,093 posts, read 24,815,753 times
I highly suggest Livonia. Its location along I 96 makes it the perfect melting pot environment. There are folks of all creeds, religions, ethnicities and many many cultures are represented. They even have a few ethnic resturants like Outback and Taco Bell.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:04 AM

4,501 posts, read 7,764,353 times
Ann Arbor, for sure. I work there, and I work with people or we have patients from just about every corner of the globe--several African countries, The Philippines, China, Japan, Viet Nam, England, Ireland--just to name a few. I can't believe how culturally diverse AA is for a smaller city!

You won't find a small town in Michigan that isn't overwhelmingly populated by white people of European descent. I live in a small town in SE Michigan and so far, I have seen one black family here, and one Asian family that I'm not even sure live here, they just run the local Chinese restaurant. They probably live in Ann Arbor.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:33 PM

4,698 posts, read 7,504,947 times
San Francisco.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:23 PM

615 posts, read 1,169,203 times
Southwest Detroit and Southfield are possibly the two places where, no matter what you may look like, or what you wear, you will not stand out as an "outsider".

SW Detroit, contrary to popular misconception, is not "all Hispanic" - no part of SW Detroit is that segregated, there are significant white, black, and Middle-Eastern minorities throughout.

Southfield is interesting in that you have so many housing options, from tall apartment buildings, to single floor apartments and condos, and detached homes. Where else in Michigan can you find a mid-century modern home on a large sub-rural lot with mature trees, no sidewalks and no street lights, yet still live in the middle of everything?

Old 05-25-2011, 12:06 PM

27,781 posts, read 65,708,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I highly suggest Livonia. Its location along I 96 makes it the perfect melting pot environment. There are folks of all creeds, religions, ethnicities and many many cultures are represented. They even have a few ethnic resturants like Outback and Taco Bell.

You win. Funniest post of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or