Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 03:46 PM

26 posts, read 104,414 times

Advertisements

Could anyone give me some details about Traverse City, MI? I am in a dilemma. I am a single parent originally from Brooklyn, NY and now living in Phoenix, AZ for the past 4 years. My daughter wants to move and marry her fiance and go to Traverse City, MI where his parents live in the next town over. He is originally from there. Anyway, my grandson who is 4 months and I love so much of course is going with them. Problem is I settled in a nice apartment in Phoenix, have a good job, am clearing up some debt and have my mom in a really good Nursing Home. So I am torn between my grandson (I am a young 45 year old grandma ) and my life here. It is scary to pick up and go to a state you know nothing about. More facts are that I work over 10 years as a legal secretary. I have Osteoarthritis in my left knee (bone-on-bone) and some arthritis in my right. So with all these details can someone give some advice on MICHIGAN and if its worth the move and possible big expense all for the sake of being near my daughter/grandson. Any advice will be appreciated! Plus, where is the best place near Traverse City to get a job as a legal secretary. It doesn't look like that town has any jobs for that position. But I wouldn't want to be too far from them.

Last edited by PhxGal07; 08-03-2007 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: No replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 08:34 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,966,487 times
I've lived in TC since '86 and let me tell you, the cost of living is high relative to wages. I would be surprised however if there weren't some jobs for a legal secretary, we sure have plenty of lawyers! The next closest city where you might find opportunities in Grand Rapids, and that is 2.5 hours south of here.

This is a wonderful place to live if you can afford it and a great place to raise kids, but don't expect to make what you're making in Phoenix here.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:53 PM

38 posts, read 168,628 times
TC is a beautiful city on the lakeshore. I think you could easily fall in love with the area. It is a tourist area in the summer months - most notable for the annual Traverse City Cherry Festival. There is a large hospital there. Summers are beautiful, the weather is somewhere around mid 60's at night to high 90's during the day - depending on where you are and what summer month you want to talk about. I lived inland in Alpena County, which is across the state from TC. Being on the lake shore will be a bit different than being more inland, and west side of the state tends to get more lake shore effect weather than the east I believe.

That being said, there are some serious issues to consider if you are thinking about moving to MI: The job market is tight - very tight. Legal jobs should be a bit easier to come by than others, but in all likelihood, you won't find a full-time, well paying job. The winters are long and cold and activities can be rather limited up north - more so in the winter than in the summer. Also, winter driving is no picnic. Schools have on average about 7 snow days each year. There is black ice, slush, snow drifts, and often 2 ft + of snow on the roadways...although, if you stay right in downtown it's not so bad, as the roads are salted well - this is hard on vehicles, however, and leads to lots of road construction in the spring, summer and fall. Gas prices in MI are currently around $3.00 per gal, give or take a few pennies - but houses are quite cheap - especially up north. If you're coming from a diverse area, you will be surprised by the lack of diversity you will find here - more so up north than in the lower half of the state. That goes for what is available in the stores as well. Also, a huge percentage of retirement age Michiganders head to Florida and Arizona for the winter months rather than deal with the cold and health concerns such as you mentioned.

Check with the visitor's bureau too, they can be helpful when planning a move. Try these links for more info:
TraverseCity.com -- Links to information about Traverse City
Traverse City Record-Eagle - Home Page
Traverse City, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Traverse City, Michigan (49684) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground
Great Wolf Lodge - Traverse City
Welcome to Downtown Traverse City
The National Cherry Festival, Traverse City Michigan

Hope this helps you make your decision gl!

Old 08-11-2007, 01:59 PM

178 posts, read 701,694 times
Rapunzll and kwhitt, you two are being VERY truthful to a point where I don't even need to go on my normal rant! lol

Anyways, yeah, if you are a legal secretary you have a much better chance at getting work in your field than some professions...although, like others have said, don't expect to make much $ up here.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:41 AM

939 posts, read 2,680,990 times
You can easily get a legal secretary job in TVC. There are about 50-60 law firms with offices here and anyone with experience is a hot commodity. Winters are snowy but beautiful. The roads are cleared regularly and getting around is rarely an issue. We do not have the traffic volume to contend with during winter. I'm originally from LI and grew up on the water. I am in heaven up here. The natural beauty is spectacular. I can't imagine living in Phoenix, you poor thing. Best of luck w/the move and you will not regret it

Old 08-12-2007, 10:08 AM

86 posts, read 267,777 times
I think I'd wait a few months and make sure your daughter likes MI. If she has never lived in Northern MI, it could be quite a shock. I know you would miss out on the grandbaby during that time, but if I were you, I'd definitely visit during the winter before I'd commit to moving. I have lived in MI most of my life and I couldn't adapt to winter on the Lakeshore! Snow and wind like you cannot imagine.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:31 AM

939 posts, read 2,680,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutha1105 View Post
I think I'd wait a few months and make sure your daughter likes MI. If she has never lived in Northern MI, it could be quite a shock. I know you would miss out on the grandbaby during that time, but if I were you, I'd definitely visit during the winter before I'd commit to moving. I have lived in MI most of my life and I couldn't adapt to winter on the Lakeshore! Snow and wind like you cannot imagine.
U prefer the rain, sleet , ice , snow mix??

Old 08-12-2007, 01:48 PM

121 posts, read 546,189 times
The question is: how much do you like Phoenix?

I moved to Phoenix from Michigan for a job but I think the people are rude, lazy, and the entire place is very polluted and expensive compared to Michigan

Good luck!

Old 08-14-2007, 12:13 AM

282 posts, read 1,168,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre5140 View Post
The question is: how much do you like Phoenix?

I moved to Phoenix from Michigan for a job but I think the people are rude, lazy, and the entire place is very polluted and expensive compared to Michigan

Good luck!
As have I. Phoenix stinks but Mich sucks. If you're going to retire up there fine. Yes it is purty but you won't find a job up there.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:22 PM

121 posts, read 546,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakian View Post
As have I. Phoenix stinks but Mich sucks. If you're going to retire up there fine. Yes it is purty but you won't find a job up there.
I recently was made an offer for a job in Lansing that offers more pay than here in Tempe, AZ. Same job, too. Michigan is suffering, for sure, but I'm not convinced "all the good jobs are in Arizona" either. I know four different people who are having a hard time making a decent living. Only one of them is sure he can make it here in AZ and that's bc he works for Northwest Airlines here instead of in Detroit. The other is a body shop guy, a former auto engineer, and a guy who works in transit.

Not sure if I'm going back or not but it sure is tempting. And right now, I'd rather have snow than the heat we've been having here in Phoenix. Everyone agrees it's worse than normal and rains? WHAT MONSOON? Here in Phoenix, we've have 2 rains since I've been here. What a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan