U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:57 AM

27,767 posts, read 65,654,187 times

Advertisements

I worked outside all weekend last weekend with no problems. THis weekend, I was nearly sucked dry and my remains carried off for final feasting by hordes of Mosqueagles (Eagle sized Mosquitos). Now I know that summer is finally here. Time to break out the chemicals. This year I will see if I can afford to treat all of the land around us with Bti. Maybe it will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 10:12 AM

271 posts, read 586,085 times
When I was younger the mosquitoes used to be crazy. The last several years I've not seen much for mosquitoes. But I've seen enough black flies to more than make up for the mosquitoes. This weekend I was splitting wood and they were so thick I'd suck them up just from breathing through my mouth or nose.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:25 AM

275 posts, read 394,495 times
Mosqueagles *snicker*

Speaking of bug spray, here's an online coupon for Deep Woods Off. http://www.off.com/en-US/Promotions/...DryCoupon.aspx

Old 05-23-2011, 11:35 AM

528 posts, read 784,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I worked outside all weekend last weekend with no problems. THis weekend, I was nearly sucked dry and my remains carried off for final feasting by hordes of Mosqueagles (Eagle sized Mosquitos). Now I know that summer is finally here. Time to break out the chemicals. This year I will see if I can afford to treat all of the land around us with Bti. Maybe it will help.
LOL.... I heart CJ's sense of humor. It makes a dark day bright.

I have been getting eaten alive the last couple of weeks. And Saturday we came home from running errands to find a male cardinal with his leg stuck between our porch steps. I got some gloves on and my husband used the crow bar to pry him out, but his leg was basically hanging on by a scrap of skin. We patched him up in my bathroom as best we could, he had flapped out most of his wings trying to escape and couldn't balance on his one good leg. He got some seed and water and a quiet evening in a darkened bathroom and by morning he was balancing better and flying like a pro. The licensed bird expert said we were okay to release him the next day, he seemed to have recovered okay. As I went to pick him up he escaped to the bedroom. A few minutes later we find a deer tick on my son's sock. I'm hoping it fell off the bird while flying, meanwhile I'm sterilizing and vacuuming everything.

I like my blood, why do critters keep trying to steal it from me? They should get their own blood. Go vegetarian. Something. My blood is currently occupied and not available for further engagements.

My Grandmother spent her childhood in MN, she said the mosquito was the state bird.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:50 AM

Do not pry on a birds leg with a metal bar, the leg will come off.

You should not have been using a crow bar anyway. That was a cardinal. Use a Cardinal bar.

In our community there is an older lady known as the squirrel lady. Ask almost any kid and they can tell you whee she lives. If anyone finds a sick or injured wild animal, all the kids know that you are supposed to take it to the squirrel lady. You have made the first step towards becoming the squirrel lady for your locale. If you keep practicing and leanring, maybe you can move to Grosse Ile in ten years or so. Our Squirrel lady is geting pretty old and may not be able to retain her position much longer than that.

We brought her five baby chipmunks whose mother died when the branch they lived in broke off. They were tiny anc not even open eyes. She few them with a syringe and some of them lived. We bourght her an injured goose (dangerous) a couple of squirrels, and the survivors of an encounter between a rabbit nest and our lawmower (lawn mower won). There have been several toehr visits to the squirrel lady. In most cases she was able to save at least some of the vicitms.

I know that she once nursed an adolsecent bald eagle back to health, and a fawn. She will not take Coyotes. I am not sure if she does nto like them, or she just does nto want to become known as the Coyote Lady. Anywayl let the kids in your area know that you are now open for nursing injured animals and you will soon have all the business that you cna manage.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:31 PM

8,162 posts, read 12,132,366 times
People make fun of old ladies and cats or animals but I don't understand why. They are just kind people. Why not make fun of a**holes?

I;ll battle mosqeagles over ticks any day. YUCK! Scared to death of ticks. Sneaky critters. Glad you found the one.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:38 PM

We love the squirrel lady. She is an icon in our community. Certainly not making fun of her. She is a noble lady. Our kids will talk about her to their grandkids.

However I may plead guilty to occaisionally making fun of 1dwd2s (particularly of her propensity of running down deer), but she is not an old lady if I remember correctly. When she gets old I will stop making fun of her. If she becomes our local suirrel lady, I will bring her meals on wheels (if I can still drive by then).

Ticks are dangerous. Gave my sister Limes disease. It is a horrible disease and somtimes makes life completely miserable. Some days she is wracked by pain all day and cannot move. Some days she cannot see. Some days she has no balance and walks into walls and doorways all the time. I am not sure what all else, but when it flares, it is debilitating. Sometimes it does nto effect her much if at all, but the drugs that she takes to control it always take their toll.

They cannot make it go away. She has had it for a long time 10 or 20 years.

Ticks scare the snot out of me. If you ever get bit, I woudl just go get massive antibiotics right away. If you do not kill Limes immediately, it can never be killed.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:28 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,863,010 times
LOL @ mosqueagles. Friend and I took the dogs hiking this weekend and yep, wettest season on record here and the darn things were out in force in the swampy woods already.

BTW...I have a friend who is a federally licensed wildlife rehabilitator....be careful about who you take what to. Just a for instance: moving a single fawn or raccoon baby to a different area may expose an entire population to a novel disease or parasite and wipe it out. A person who raises a wild animal to be unafraid of humans before releasing it can very easily condemn several generations of that animal to death because they and their progeny won't be afraid of dogs, cats, people, cars, etc.

Not bashing the squirrel lady...just adding a word of caution.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:34 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,972,532 times
I thought this year was getting bad as well... until I spent the last couple days in Northern Maine. We have never heard of bugs here compared to there. Like a frigging cloud around you. I lived there for years and forgot just how bad they are, what a nasty way to be reminded.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:57 PM

528 posts, read 784,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Do not pry on a birds leg with a metal bar, the leg will come off.

You should not have been using a crow bar anyway. That was a cardinal. Use a Cardinal bar.

In our community there is an older lady known as the squirrel lady. Ask almost any kid and they can tell you whee she lives. If anyone finds a sick or injured wild animal, all the kids know that you are supposed to take it to the squirrel lady. You have made the first step towards becoming the squirrel lady for your locale. If you keep practicing and leanring, maybe you can move to Grosse Ile in ten years or so. Our Squirrel lady is geting pretty old and may not be able to retain her position much longer than that.
Har har, veeeerrrrry funny. :P

Cardinal bar sounds like something they sell at Busch Stadium!

I think I got my start as the squirrel lady back when I was a young kid. I brought home every stray I came across until my Mom threatened to give me to gypsies. She shot herself in the foot saying I was so rotten even they probably didn't want me, which was a poor move on her part.

Can you imagine if someone brought her cougars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan