Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 02:26 PM

4 posts, read 16,097 times

Advertisements

I live in Florida but plan on retiring to NW Michigan in the near future. My wife and I are unsure what community to pick from between Ludington and TC plus surronding areas like Suttons Bay or Empire etc.

Any input from folks who know these areas well would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 03:08 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,641,468 times
I know these areas, but what kind of lifestyle are you looking for up here? Have you been to NW Michigan before? If you give a bit more info on what your interests are then we can be of more help?

Old 05-23-2011, 04:01 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Wow...good luck choosing from that list! They are all great areas.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:57 AM

4 posts, read 16,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
I know these areas, but what kind of lifestyle are you looking for up here? Have you been to NW Michigan before? If you give a bit more info on what your interests are then we can be of more help?
I'm 61 and my wife is 60. We are healthy and fit for our ages. We like to to downhill ski a lot and cross country ski as well. Also like to jog, hike and bike.

I'm not a big fisherman but enjoy the water (canoe, kayak etc.)

I spent time in Traverse City in the 50's and early 60's during the summers as a kid with my Uncle because he taught at Traverse City High School and worked for the DNR during the summers. He lived out on the peninsula, and I had a lot of fun there as a kid. But I hear that is bucks up now. Liked Interlochen as well.

Always thought the area was beautiful. We would enjoy the slower pace, less people and beauty. We are Presbyterian and active in the chuch, so it would be a plus to be near a Presbyterian church.

Florida has been good for us (my career) but we do not want to retire here, plus we have spent a lot of years here already.

Our 4 kids are married with 8 grandkids and live in Chicago and Detroit, so the area is appealing to us.

The cold doesn't bother us but at my age and having been spoiled by Florida for so many years and not dealing with snow, I'm not looking forward as much to digging out a whole lot to get onto the roads. I realize that goes with the territory.

Hope that helps. We just need insight from people who live here to give us pro's and con's to the various areas- Ludington area, Frankfort area, Empire area, Suttons Bay area, Traverse City etc. Plus where you get the best bang for your dollar housing wise, because we could live almost in any area being retired.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:24 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,641,468 times
If you haven't seen Traverse since the 60s you won't reconize it now it's grown so much since back then. It's a great smaller size city without the big city problems. It's probably the most expensive place you could pick on your list, but it would be my personal first choice. Anywhere up here you've got easy access to all the sports you've mentioned. Lakes and rivers are all over the place, and you can jog and bike in Traverse easily. The exception might be during Cherry Festival when the town is packed with people coming for the various celebrations and activities. I think Traverse gives you the best choices when it comes to churches as well. There is one place that is still close to the general area you're thinking of, and it's a small town not far from Sutton's Bay called Leland. It's just a very unique area and extremely beautiful. It's got the Manitou Islands as one of its main attractions and then their historic Fishtown. As long as you realize how much snow and cold we have up here during the winter then you should love it when you make the move.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:15 PM

192 posts, read 494,073 times
Tough decision. Currently live in the Ludington area, love the State Park, the beaches, but it does lack in shopping. During the summer months the population swells, in the winter it is very quiet and traffic is almost non existent. There is a real small town homey feel to Ludington, just witness the 4th of July parade. I believe the closest Presbyterian Church is in Manistee. Cross country skiing abundant possibilties, down hill - nearest would be Crystal MT not quite an hour north of Ludington. Housing prices took a hit, so there are some great deals.

Traverse City is the metropolitan area of Northern Michigan. Shopping is good, restaurants are fantastic, and there are many things to do year around. In the winter months traffic is no problem, in the summer, especially weekends, it can get crazy. I too enjoy Interlochen, my daughter graduated from high school there. The programs they put on both student/camper and professionals are fantastic. Always have to tailgate at least one concert during the summer.

So it will depend on your wants and needs, if you want something quieter between the two, Ludington would fit your bill, if you want something with more action, always something going on Traverse City would be it.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:36 PM

760 posts, read 2,440,821 times
I would pick Ludington hands down. I personally don't like getting within 20 miles of Traverse City anymore (especially during the summer).
Ludington would put you about 1 1/2hrs closer to your Chicago family. (both are about the same distance to Detroit taking different routes)

Edit: For some reason I didn't see the post right above mine (Fripper). A good post and I agree

Old 05-24-2011, 07:02 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,244,966 times
No question about it... Traverse City by far.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:07 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Agree with Fripper on this one as well. I live a couple miles from Ludington and they nailed it. After looking all over the place, Mason County was the best place for me and my family. Great area that does lack in shopping, but that is just an excuse to make a drive down to Grand Rapids once in a while .

Old 05-25-2011, 06:30 AM

629 posts, read 1,721,132 times
I grew up in the Ludington area and it's a great little small town, you could probably buy a house just a few blocks from the beach if you want.

I guess the main thing is do you want the big(ger) city things of Traverse City? Or the smaller Ludington?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan