Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:56 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,652 times

Advertisements

Flint ranks as nation's most violent, FBI statistics show | MLive.com

Quote:
The top 5 for violent crime is Flint, Detroit, St. Louis, New Haven, Conn. and Memphis, Tenn.
Never knew that New Haven, Conn was such a dangerous city.

How did Flint and Detroit become so violent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 03:16 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Flint ranks as nation's most violent, FBI statistics show | MLive.com

Never knew that New Haven, Conn was such a dangerous city.

How did Flint and Detroit become so violent?

Apathy and election of idiot politicians and abandonment by businesses that employed many folks.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:55 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Flint and Detroit are not dangerous, its the people living there. And is this NEW news?

Old 05-24-2011, 09:31 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
I live 30 miles northwest of Flint and rarely go there unless I have too. A few weeks ago I did go down there for the first time in a year or two and visited the Sloan museum. The sloan museum is in this large cultural complex that offers a planetarium and some kind of art museum. The sloan museum itself is nice, it depicts the history of Flints auto industry and other local history. There is a small buick museum there as well. What shocked me is the fact that on a saturday afternoon we were the only ones in there. While we were there we saw NO ONE that did not work there. When we got out we drove into the downtown area and found very few people out there as well. We ate at the original halo burger (flint local burger joint), which is a famous landmark to people who live in that area. The burger was good, but again very few people there. Even the highway into the city (475) had almost no traffic. We had no problems with anyone there, and the downtown actually looked better than it did the last time I saw it, but the place was a dead zone. Isnt this one of Jennys "cool cities"??? Where are the people?? At least it did not look as bad as Detroit, which in my opinion is a war zone, but if an effort has been made to make Flints downtown nicer why are there no people there? In all fairness the weather was not so great so maybe that is why.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:13 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I live 30 miles northwest of Flint and rarely go there unless I have too. A few weeks ago I did go down there for the first time in a year or two and visited the Sloan museum. The sloan museum is in this large cultural complex that offers a planetarium and some kind of art museum. The sloan museum itself is nice, it depicts the history of Flints auto industry and other local history. There is a small buick museum there as well. What shocked me is the fact that on a saturday afternoon we were the only ones in there. While we were there we saw NO ONE that did not work there. When we got out we drove into the downtown area and found very few people out there as well. We ate at the original halo burger (flint local burger joint), which is a famous landmark to people who live in that area. The burger was good, but again very few people there. Even the highway into the city (475) had almost no traffic. We had no problems with anyone there, and the downtown actually looked better than it did the last time I saw it, but the place was a dead zone. Isnt this one of Jennys "cool cities"??? Where are the people?? At least it did not look as bad as Detroit, which in my opinion is a war zone, but if an effort has been made to make Flints downtown nicer why are there no people there? In all fairness the weather was not so great so maybe that is why.
I think they were all at the mall, Kohls and Fire Mountain.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:09 PM

336 posts, read 908,329 times
Downtown is much busier on weekdays.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:06 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
You're right...I also live a little north of Flint (used to live in walking distance to the arts/cultural complex) and it is very sad that more people don't spend money at, or use, some of Flint's great amenities....the museums, the farmers market which is truly a jewel, the businesses downtown. Also parks and county recreational areas are mostly deserted....which is nice if one wants to go for a nice hike with off-leash dogs (as I often do) but sort of weird that county residents - not just Flint - don't take advantage of the few cool things that happen in the city. One unrecognised thing that is common here is grassroots/neighborhood activism.

As to HOW these areas became such cesspools of violence....probably very complex reasons. I know for a fact that suburbanites +cough+ Grand Blanc +cough+ are as a general rule askeered to go anywhere in Flint. Because when you look at the stats, the violence is pretty much confined to people who know each other, are into drugs, crime and gangs, and engage in related activities and recreation. And, it's mostly in the north end, and to a lesser degree parts of southwest and east Flint. The vast majority of people who live and work in Flint are not affected by crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post

Old 05-25-2011, 08:08 PM

850 posts, read 1,898,246 times
ate at the 501 bar and grill on saturday, downtown was very empty

Old 05-25-2011, 08:38 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I think they were all at the mall, Kohls and Fire Mountain.

I like Fire Mountain, but I have noticed most patron of this restaraunt are just a bit on the heavy side, no ALOT on the heavy side. If you eat there alot, im sure you will start to look like the regulars do lol. Buffet food will put you in the fast lane to the fat farm.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:58 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,652 times
most-dangerous-cities-247: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan